ThreeDJ16

Polder Port Plugs

I had to laugh last weekend, I was trying to use my old tube of some kind of roof flashing caulk. I struggled to get the cured plug from the caulk tube snout, when I succeeded, what do you think I had? Yep, a perfectly sized black Polder port plug. :smt041 I'm still committed to take the 2 I ordered, and now I have another in reserve!

Re: Update

Well, I received all my materials in this week, made up 15 molds, poured the first 15 plugs, went to test it in my grill............argh...to big.............I grabbed the wrong drill bit when I drilled the molds. So anyway, I still have a couple of the original molds but 2 a day is kinda slow. I am going to make up some new molds this week. My work schedule is hectic for the next 2 weeks so it will be at least that before I can finish.

Also did an experiment with one to make a small hole through the center. Just big enough to allow the probe through and still be tight on the small wire. Anyway, thought some folks might be interested in that.

-=Jasen=-

Ok, this is what happens when you work on things too late at night - hehe. Anyway, after further investigating, the size is appropriate. The issue was simply the new pourable material is more flexible than the old tube silicone and therefore bulged out when trying to insert the long plug into the polder port. The easy solution was make the plug shorter, which worked just fine. After all, the plug only need be long enough to plug the hole and nothing more. So now I just have to cut down all my molds instead - still a fun task, but not nearly as much fun as remaking all those molds.

-=Jasen=-

Wire Access Plugs

Also, if anyone is interested, while I was making up the plugs above, I also made up one with a small hole through it to allow Guru, Stoker, Polder, etc wire to pass through. You can push one probe and wire through at a time to allow the hole to be plugged and still have your temp devices hooked up. Send me a PM or email in advance if anyone want one of these too so I can make them up (specify clear or black).

I also forgot to mention in the last email. Since the clear is fairly easy to make up and several folks ended up wanting them, I am making up a batch of clear regular polder port plugs (PM or email if you want a wire access plug in clear). Also, I should call these non pigmented as they are not completely clear (more opaque - I will post a pic when that batch cures).

-=Jasen=-

My Guru is currently in use cooking some pork shoulders, so I had to make these pics with the Maverick.

dscn1328mediumlh5.jpg

dscn1323mediumvo2.jpg

dscn1324mediumdz7.jpg

Re: Wire Access Plugs

Also, if anyone is interested, while I was making up the plugs above, I also made up one with a small hole through it to allow Guru, Stoker, Polder, etc wire to pass through.

Nice. I'd just leave them through it and pull the plug out afterwards (no threading each time), then plug with a solid.

Are you drilling any out for FOUR probes as well as 2? (think guru competior + maverick)

Re: Wire Access Plugs

Also, if anyone is interested, while I was making up the plugs above, I also made up one with a small hole through it to allow Guru, Stoker, Polder, etc wire to pass through.

Nice. I'd just leave them through it and pull the plug out afterwards (no threading each time), then plug with a solid.

Are you drilling any out for FOUR probes as well as 2? (think guru competior + maverick)

Yeah, leaving the plug on the wires was the plan, which is why I suggested one of each type to everyone in my email (the solid to ensure quick fire snuffing). Good suggestion though!

No drilling here, you couldn't drill soft silicone. The only way to make these holes without tearing everything up is to cast them from the beginning. The Guru wires are tiny and the hole can accommodate many wires (4 - no problem). The only reason the hole is as big as it is, was to ensure the probes can fit through one at a time.

I might also add these plugs are made to fit tight, so the port might have to be cleaned and you can give a little twist as you insert them to ensure seating all the way.

Thanks,

-=Jasen=-