DennisLinkletter

BBQ.About.com, Ultimate Grills, Best of the Best list

As you can imagine, I've very pleased to say the least.

But I knew this, that's why I named the Gen II the Ultimate!

:smt026:smt041

Ultimate Grills

From Derrick Riches,

Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.

The best of the best grill on the market

http://bbq.about.com/od/grills/tp/aatp062907a.htm

These are the most fantastic grills on the market today. If you have the cash you can drop on of these on your patio and impress all the visiting dignitaries. From gas to charcoal and everything else you can imagine, these top end grills can do it all with professional quality whether you are grilling up burgers or a 7-course meal for heads of state.

1. Kalamazoo Bread Breaker II Dual Fuel Hybrid Grill - Ultimate Heavy Metal

2. Komodo Kamado - Ultimate Beauty

Komodo Kamado

The history of the Kamado Charcoal Grill is too long and confusing to recount. Suffice to say that when Dennis Linkletter found himself in possession of a little company importing these ceramic charcoal wonders, he knew he could make it better. From a reinvention of airflow, spring assisted lid, and laser cut stainless steel parts this is one loaded grill. It includes the EZQ Rotisserie system and the BBQ Guru temperature control blower. Anyone who knows eggs about Kamado grills know that they grill at incredible temperatures and smoke at a perfect low and slow pace. This unit takes it to the next level and does it inside a shell of pure beauty.

Ultimate list

Kalamazoo Bread Breaker II Dual Fuel Hybrid Grill - Ultimate Heavy Metal

I hope it's the ultimate, at almost $10K. But I'd still choose the KK over it :D

I want some of what your drinking...

I read this:

This unit will set you back around $12,000USD, but will probably outlast civilization.

But he's not saying that the Kalamazoo is #1 but the 1st of a list of Ultimate BBQs.

YOu know how heavy metal is sacred with most of the BBQ population.. so in this case I don't mind sitting pretty/beautiful at #2..

1. Kalamazoo Bread Breaker II Dual Fuel Hybrid Grill - Ultimate Heavy Metal

2. Komodo Kamado - Ultimate Beauty

3. Fire Magic Elite Magnum 50 inch - Ultimate Power

4. Traeger Longhorn Steer Smoker/Grill - Ultimate Q-Cool

5. DCS Liberty Collection - Ultimate Elegance

6. Weber Ranch Kettle - Ultimate Kettle

7. The Grillery Grillworks - Ultimate Purity

8. Evo Grill - Ultimate Tech

9. Twin Eagles Salamangrill - Ultimate Steak

I sooo disagree with number 4. If anyone has used a ceramic with a Guru they would kick that Traeger to the curb. I owned one for a while (though not shaped like a cow or pig - hehe - those are just messed up looking). The pellet feed is kinda cool, but any moisture caused mega problems. It also would not sear or do high temps very well. It was only good at one thing in my opinion and that was low/slow (provided it was protected from the rain). I guess they are suggesting part of the cool factor was the temp controller but it is not even in the ballpark compared to a Guru. The Guru and my KK are untouchable as the best in all those categories!

-=Jasen=-

So I click over to the Guru site (thanks for the link), figure out that the only way to go would be the wireless model and look for a price...$600! :eek: For a remote temp sensor!?!?! :shock:

Wait a minute...I gotta be missing something :smt017

Thank you for the link to your review Naked, there's a FAN involved...kinda changes everything. How cool is that! I gotta have one...and must be a life saver for those overnight lo and slo cooks no?

Bobkat - search the forum for "guru". There is lots of discussion about them. The wireless version is $600, but they also make a non-wireless one for $200.

Another design is the stoker, also about $200, still not wireless, but web enabled so you can use a laptop or monitor from the office.

http://rocksbarbque.com/Systems.html

(Whiz also has a review of this unit)

Also, dont be afraid to trust your KK on its own. I just did an overnight cook of 20# of butts and the temp never fluctuated more that 10 degrees...usually a gentle bump in temp when the smoldering coals reached another chunk of smoke wood. The "Guru or no guru" debate is eternal; I view it as insurance more than a necessity.

Thank you for the link to your review Naked, there's a FAN involved...kinda changes everything. How cool is that! I gotta have one...and must be a life saver for those overnight lo and slo cooks no?

The Guru rocks bud! The Procom is the one I have and love it. Yeah, yeah the KK can do just fine on it's own, but it is even better when you can remotely monitor and control it! Go for it!

-=Jasen=-

The Guru rocks bud! The Procom is the one I have and love it. Yeah, yeah the KK can do just fine on it's own, but it is even better when you can remotely monitor and control it! Go for it!

-=Jasen=-

But is it worth the extra moula?

I've got the competitor and couldn't see any reason to buy the remote version (and I didn't have the money :( ). Competitor was worth every cent used with my WSM not sure yet if required for long cooks go on the KK. But you buy a LOT of piece of mind with the guru!! :D

With the KK you need the inducer tube (no door adaptor) and most people get the 10cfm fan...

Hey Jasen' date=' so which 'door adapter' and what size fan?[/quote']

No adapter door needed. The best fit item is not listed on the web site store, but you can call and order; it is just a straight inducer tube. I just took mine, added some silicone and stuck it into the KK port. You can also order the bulkhead inducer if you wish it to stick out or just wanna have to cut it (hehe). I think the 10 cfm fan is the best fit as it gives you the most flexibility in cooking.

-=Jasen=-

So just a 'straight inducer tube'...I suspect the good folks at Guru know of the KK and it's needs?

Thanks guys

Well, you hope that is the case, but not always (as they could suggest the bulkhead). While the small straight inducer needs silicone to hold it in (a little more work and time till use), I like the flush look of it. But you might have to ask them for it, instead of them suggesting it.

Here is a pic of mine with the inducer sleeve inserted: viewtopic.php?t=1479&start=0 - scroll down through the pics.

Here is a pic of a person who used the bulkhead: viewtopic.php?t=1218&highlight=bulkhead

More links discussing it: viewtopic.php?t=674&highlight=bulkhead

viewtopic.php?t=633&highlight=bulkhead

viewtopic.php?t=657&highlight=bulkhead

-=Jasen=-

So when not in use you take the Guru off and plug the inducer hole with something? Do I have that right?

Yup, the kill plug that comes with your Guru. Or if that is no longer around, you can purchase another one from them for $4.95 plus shipping and that is listed in there web store (don't bother with the $14 adjustable plug).

-=Jasen=-