Professor Salt

Uncrate your new Komodo the easy way

I thought I'd start a new topic for folks who are bringing home baby for the first time.

The crate comes with its own crowbar, and I was tempted to start flailing away with it. An hour later, I finally got the very well constructed crate apart. My driveway looked like an F2 tornado hit it, what with the litter of wooden slats.

There's a much easier way that's been mentioned (buried, actually) previously in this forum. Simply remove the lag bolts at each bottom corner of the crate, and the entire crate lifts off in one piece.

I noticed other forum members who went about it the hard way like I did, so I figured this tip deserved its own thread.

• Like 1

Help! I keep clicking on Sanny's link and it just sends me to a thread where Sanny links to the sticky thread - I'm caught in some sort of recursive loop! It's like how it takes me forever to take a shower because I read the directions on the shampoo bottle: lather, rinse, repeat.

fetch?id=66924fetch?id=66925fetch?id=66926

Re: Uncrate your new Komodo the easy way I read this topic before I took delivery of "True Blue" and thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures of the uncrating to help people in the future. Remember this is a rough guide so please adapt it to suit your needs. Please excuse the fact that True Blue stays on the back of my ute (pickup) for the pictures. 1) READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL FROM DENNIS - Owner's manuals are written for a reason 2) Choose a suitable place for your new family member to live - Read "Choosing a site" in the owner's manual 3) Ensure your first cook is marinating and the "thankyou for your help/a job well done" beverages are chilling. 4) Organise for a mate to come around to help you unpack your new family member 5) Get the delivery person to place your new family member in the best position for you. This could be in an open area or right next to where the grill will live - remember the grill is heavy and it may be a big task to get the grill to it's final position. 6) Remove the protective cardboard from the crate 7) Remove the protective plastic from the crate 8) Remove the 8 lagging bolts from the base of the crate - these are found on each corner of the pallet, 2 on each corner post-6942-139082391211_thumb.jpgStep 1.JPG[/attachment:757thcu8] 9) Carefully remove the crate from the pallet and over the cooker - You will need help to do this. 10) Remove the wrapping plastic from the exterior of the grill - if you have a rotisserie it may be wrapped to the grill as shown in the picture 11) Remove the protective packers from the strategic positions on your new family member 12) Carefully open the grill (asking your new family member to "Ahhhh" might feel natural but it won't work) 13) Carefully remove all the goodies (grills, plates, stones etc) from inside the grill. post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgStep 2.JPG[/attachment:757thcu8] 14) Close the lid and carefully remove the lid from the grill and place it somewhere safe and comfortable - Follow the instructions in the owner's manual 15) Remove the strapping from the base of the grill - be careful of the damper/hat/screw (whatever you want to call it) as it is strapped to the base with the same strapping as the feet 16) Place the damper/hat/screw somewhere safe and comfortable 17) Carefully lift your new family member to it's new home - The owner's manual has great instructions once again 18) Carefully replace the lid onto the grill - Once again, follow the instructions in the owner's manual 19) Remove the damper/hat/screw from the packaging - to do this you will need to remove the safety clip from the bottom of the threaded screw 20) Carefully screw the damper/hat/screw onto the lid 21) Open the lid and fit the safety clip to the threaded screw - this is improtant to stop you accidentally unscrewing the top damper all the way. 22) Fit the temperature dial guage to the hole in the lid using a sealant to create a good seal. Step 3.JPG[/attachment:757thcu8]

post-6993-139082395362_thumb.jpg

post-6993-139082395365_thumb.jpg

post-6993-139082395369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1