JaLink

Cooking salmon

Re: Cooking salmon

New to my ceramic cooker...what is the best way to cook salmon steaks. Do I need a 2 inch steak to insert temperature readout? How long at what temp? Thanks' date=' Jalink[/quote']

Wish I could be more help on grilling fish, but I have little experience in that area. I did cook some Halibut steaks a little while back that turned out fantastic. I read several different places that give times based on minutes per inch of thickness, but I just don't believe in hard fast cooking times when there are so many variables. One rule I do follow is do not flip the fish until it is ready (or it will tear apart). When a side becomes done, it will release from the grill. I check adhesion once in a while and when it releases, I flip it. Then cook about the same approximate time on the other side. Before I removed the fish from the grill, I ensured the meat is flaky and solid in color (instead of opaque).

So how's that new grill working out for you? For some reason I bet perfectly - huh? hehe

-=Jasen=-

I used to cook a lot of salmon. I'd do them at high temp just like a steak. They were about 1 in thick. Like DJ says, no hard-n-fast times. But they were about 4 minutes a side with a similar dwell...at around 600-700 degress.

They were great blackened salmon.

I did a thick salmon steak rather low and slow and smokey. Pat dry. Little olive oil. Rubbed with sea salt and turbi or brown sugar, and some other seasoning. Left the lid closed at about 200 for a couple hours.

Turned out delicious!

But seared like a steak is good, too. :)

Different flavors.

I grill salmon fillets regularly. I like to skin mine before cooking, but I just give them a good coating of blackening seasonings, and grill at medium to medium-high heat, direct, on the main or lower grill (depending on how hot my fire is, and what I want to cook with it.)

My best advice whenever cooking fish...heat your grill, then oil the grate with a rag dampened in cooking oil. Scrape/clean the rack if necessary, then oil again just before adding the fish. This will ensure even the most delicate fillets release easily. I actually oil the grate before I grill anything, but its a necessity when grilling flaky fish!

Naked Whiz Salmon Recipe

TNW's recipe for Salmon is one of the finest I have ever tasted. The pecan pellets give a wonderful, slightly smokey flavor to the fish w/o hiding its flavor. As usual, the better fish you start with, the better your results. I eagerly anticipate trying this recipe with Copper River King.

I have put a link to TNW's recipe as well as my own version of a tartar sauce that I believe goes well with it

Wayne

The Salmon

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pcnslmn.htm

Tartar Sauce

3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup good mayonnaise

1 tablespoons well drained dill pickle relish

1 tablespoon drained and chopped capers

1 teaspoon anchovy paste

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Reduce lemon juice to 1/4 cup and cool.

Combine 1 tablespoon of the reduced lemon juice with the rest of the ingredients. Retain balance of lemon juice. Refrigerate for one to two hours. Adjust seasonings as needed.

re-post

Here's a keeper. Marinate a hunk of salmon in pineapple juice for some hours. Lightly brush on some soy sauce. Rub on a mix of brown sugar and cayenne. Grill skin side down, don't flip it. When that white squoogy goo starts oozing out, it's done. Keep the lid shut as much as possible. Absolute heaven.

Brined salmon on bed of basil

Our favorite way to cook salmon is to brine it lightly for four or so hours (1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar per gallon water) then lay it on a bed of supermarket basil (the weed, not anything you'd make pesto from, but readily available and perfect for this application) then smoke over apple chunks gently at 225 F or so till melt-in-your-mouth done.

A Spanish cazuela is a perfect vessel for this dish, but anything will do; the salmon never touches the pan.

Hi Syzygies,

Just a couple questions, do you cook this on foil and on what rack? My neighbor has quite a bit of salmon, (he fishes) and wants me to cook some on the kk, he had some pulled pork was shocked at the moistness of it. We dont eat alot of fish just some crappe and bluegill once in a while.

Thanks!!

fcnich

I just did some 'smoked salmon', huge fillets from Costco. Filled up both the main grill and the upper grill (4 huge fillets). I cooked low and slow...for me that is about 180 to 190 degrees, for about 3 hours or so...my goal being 145 degree internal temp or a bit higher if like it drier. Used deflector stone, 2 or 3 pieces of Alder Wood, home made marinade....very tasty. Cut up in 22 pieces, vacuum seal packages, freeze for another day.

The first time the fillets had skin on 1 side, so i just put Pam on grill, put skin side down and it did not stick at all. Cooked on the main grill. The last time, my fillets had NO skin, so i did put just enough foil down to match width of fillets. I also put Pam on foil. Used both grills. These did not stick either. My father did 1 huge fillet on his KK, forgot the foil, and his came off grill quite nicely...no sticking

As for cooking it for a fish dinner to eat as main course, i have not yet done Salmon this way. I only like salmon when smoked...

I just put king salmon (Scottish farmed so supposedly ecologically sound), steelhead (farmed by who knows) and rainbow trout (farmed again). I have cooked a lot of fish on the KK and smoked some from time to time. This time I am preparing for a xmas party and wanted a lot of smoked fish. I like pretty heavily smoked and fairly dry smoked salmon and trout. I have had a lot of success in the past with trout. So, instead of being smart and checking the forum before I started I did it my own way. Brined all of the fish overnight in just kosher salt and lots of water. Stuck them on the lil Isla, the salmon on the lower rack also filled remaining space with some of the trout. Steelhead and rest of salmon on top grill. Mostly cherry chunks but also some other stuff, probably lemon and guava under the heat shield. I did not leave the fish to dry before putting them on. But I am starting at a very low temperature (between 100 and 110 F) and hope this will dry it. It seems to be forming some pelliciles now. After consulting forum I added some lime juice (have abundance of Mexican limes on my tree). I intend to keep it at this temperature for as long as practicable, take some out and freeze it to destroy possible parasites) and up the temperature on the rest until I get it to at least 145 internal temperature.

Unfortunately, as I was putting this post together the temperature rose to 124 degrees and I can't seem to get it back down even by closing top draft and nearly closing bottom. Any suggestions about how to keep it lower?img_0047.jpg

Will report back when done. Hope I will figure out how to put in pictures by then.