Bobkat

Labor Day! - what's on the menu?

Grilled peaches

Since I didn't picture the steaks (everybody too eager to eat), I took pictures of part of the desert. I grilled some peaches to put over the homemade ice cream. Very good if I say so myself....and so did the guests....my little niece got up the next morning asking for more ice cream for breakfast....she and her dad decided they did not need to ask mom's permission! :D:D

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

did 3 shoulders and 1/2 a pork loin. the small shoulder and loin were brined first. loin went for 3 hours/250 deg. all indirect. small shoulder went 12 hours. other 2 went 16. had pulld pork sammich for breakfast! here's the pics, so you'll know it really happened... :wink:

shoulders.jpg

pulled.jpg

really came out awesome; some of my best stuff. really glad i decided for whole shoulders over butts...

How did you prepare those peaches trish' date=' anything on them before a visit to the kk?[/quote']

Hi Bobkat...All I did for the peaches were peel and split, put them on direct on about 350 main rack. No seasoning or sweetening. The first batch (Sat nite) was a variety called O'Henry and they were excellent. The second batch (Sunday nite and pictured) was an unknown variety and I did not think they were as good although the guests raved. The O'Henry Variety just had better flavor and texture, and juicier to start.

Lookin' good PC. I have been preferring shoulders over butts myself lately. Seem more flavorful (maybe due to more bone content)' date=' but also seem to take a little longer though.[/quote']

i think my shoulders actually took less time. i did notice a difference between the brined shoulder and the other 2, so i might give that a second try. cant really consider the other 2 to be controls, b/c they were significantly larger. but, i was impressed by how much more tender the shoulders seemed over my last butt efforts. more moist as well. i'm thinking it's the increased amount of collagen from the joints in the shoulder, and the bones themselves.

what i did was, flensed the skin from the shoulders, leaving it attached at the hock, and covered the undersides with lots of rub, then put the skin back, and placed shoulders skin side down. it worked great! got lots of bark on the topside, and the skin protected the shoulders from sticking to the grill.

i also experimented a bit, and took all the bones and skin, put into a stockpot, and simmered all day. strained, and into the fridge. scraped the fat off this morning, and now i have pork jello! put it into the freezer for the next time i do pintos. which will probably be pretty soon!

really great experience!

I have a Magafesa pressure cooker that I use for such things.. Takes a lot of time and guesswork out of things, and also helps me make some of the most heavenly ambrosias from humble ingredients such as you mentioned... It also takes just a few minutes as opposed to a more significant time frame in the use of other methods.

-M

just got finished with a huge pulled pork sammie, red sauce, with sweet chow on top and on the side... so good! only thing that made it taste even better was that it was low carb and good for the ol blood sugar! i love seeing folks come thru my office after heating some up in the microwave, noses sniffing, looking wistful, shifting their gaze thru the room looking for what might be torturing them so. it is great!

Don't be scared to go to 240 - 250 either. Shortens the time, just as good, just less smoky. The lower the temp, the longer the time it will take. I think anything less than 30 degrees above your desired end temp, is almost impossible to achieve. Meaning if you desire 190 end temp, you must have the pit at 220 to ever reach that end temp (or at least within a reasonable amount of time). So I go with 240-250 and no complaints.

-=Jasen=-

It certainly seems that way J...I'm going to 225 to 250 from here on out.

So are we saying that it really does not matter if it's 225 vs. 250 other than time?

You will get less smoke (due to less time). But it is not enough of a difference in my opinion. To me the meat is also better at the higher temp as it does not turn to mush on you. I like to pull at 190 verses 195 or higher for that same reason. I think the que should hold together and not turn to mush or fall to pieces. 240-250 and pulling at 190 achieves that in my book.

-=Jasen=-