Fetzervalve

How did you find Komodo Kamado

Found KK on EBAY many moons ago

I also found Dennis and KK on Ebay when he was just getting started. He narrowly helped me avoid the Other company trap. He has always been friendly and responsive no matter how silly the question I might ask and the forum and its members have always been a great source of info for the newbies like myself. Life has gotten in the way of my active participation lately. But I still cruise the site to learn the latest. (and Dennis always has some new innovation going.)

Congrats on the 5 years and the many more to come.

Terry

Wow - 12% of you that voted found it through eBay?! Makes you wonder why one isn't posted there now, eh? :lol: Just kidding Dennis - I know the auctions have a habit of expiring and needing reposting.

For me, I found the KK through my research of the BGE. The word "kamado" started showing up in the BGE forums so I started a Google search and ended up in the Kamado forums. Not long after, I ended up in the KamadoFraud forum through reading a post in the Kamado forum from our very own Porkchop! After reading Porkchops history with Kamado (on the KamadoFraud Forum) and his new liking of the KOmodo Kamado, I ended up here where I lurked quietly on the forum for a bit. After that, it was only a matter of time before I jumped on board! Been happy ever since and I am very thankful for all of you and your great posts since! The learning curve was short thanks to a great product and your helpful posts! :D

So maybe another option should be added to the vote list as "kamadofraudforum"?

When my 20 year old New Braunfels finally rusted out I started research on a replacement on Usenet, posting to alt.food.barbecue. I knew that ceramic cookers existed, but did not know much about them. A response to my question there mentioned KK as an ultra high end cooker. A week of reading these forums, reviews, and trading emails with Dennis led to my order on April 17th. Glass Black/Matte Black plaid. My cover came yesterday.

I am still waiting for mine. I believe the ship is due in California on June 2nd, but then it has to clear customs and ride 3000 odd miles on a truck. So I probably have more than three more weeks of waiting.

Thanks to Trish

I bought Trish's Kamado, she'd mentioned she had a KK and was buying a second. She introduced me to this forum, I started receiving PMs from members here from my posts on Kamado forum, I started posting on here and was very warmly welcomed by Dennis and the board, the rest is history.

Won't surprise me a bit if the guy who bought the Kamado from me buys a KK in the near future, funny how things work.

Proud to be a KK owner.

Komodo Timeline

Congrats on the 5 years and the many more to come.

Terry

KK is actually going to be 7 years old this August..

Komodo Timeline

Ex-Kamado Crew starts work in my woodworking factory August 2003

Harbinson Walker engineers design materials for KK August 2003

KK's unbreakable two piece firebox designed September 2003

KK's first simple website up May 2004

First KK Ebay Feedback Sept 2004

OTB foam mockup built October 2004

First OTB made up in refractory material February 2005

KK works with Shotgun Fred Pirkle and installs first OEM Guru faceplate May 2005

First KK OTB is shipped July 2005

KK OTB comes E-Z Que rotisserie ready August 2005

KK starts using CNC cut and folded stainless components August 2005

KK forum up and running March 2006

KK gets it's own new larger production facility December 2006

Naked Whiz puts up now infamous KK review April 2007

First Gen 2.2 ships May 2007

New Elastomeric adhesive/insulation/grout shipped November 2007

New KK Rib Rack shipped June 2008

Komodo Kamado patents issued Sept 2008

Chris Lilly cooks on a Komodo on the Today Show May 2009

Komodo Kamado Trade name registered July 2009

Kingsford charcoal chooses Komodo Kamado for their promotions April 2010

you're missing something in your timeline, right before "KK Forum up and running March 2006"...

PORKCHOP JOINS KK FORUM FEB 24, 2006 heeeeeeeeeeeee

can't even remember how i found you dennis, but am very glad i DID!!! what i do remember is that i was pretty angry, and ready to start my own website.

the BEST revenge is living well... :D

I discovered the KK while trying to find an alternative to the other gypsy company competitor, that stalled me for over a year while trying to order my second unit from them. So it was sort of a left handed referral from Gypsy Johnson. Like most of the previous K owners, I had a serious case of doubt. Dennis had to swim upstream for many of us bitten by the competitor, but more than proved himself as is reflected in his customer service. Clearly Linkletters have an amazing amount of tenacity and they do not give up!

I went to a BBQ shop to check out the Weber Genesis or something, and the guy showed me a Big Green Egg. I thought he was crazy, it was close to a thousand bucks!!! But I was really curious about the whole ceramic thing. Surfed like crazy for a while and saw the RJ product and came within a gnat's whisker of getting a K7. Somehow stumbled on to KK and perused the forums at great length; and convinced myself that even close to $4 G's was OK. Wife was pissed as hell because she thought I spent a grand on it!!! No honey, it was near about 4 with the side tables. After over a year of KK chow, she's a convert. And so is everyone I've fed off the durn thing. And if my buddy Mike does not buy one after I feed him and his wife and mother in law on Monday, he's a big douche!!!

Seems like a lifetime ago...

you're missing something in your timeline, right before "KK Forum up and running March 2006"...

PORKCHOP JOINS KK FORUM FEB 24, 2006 heeeeeeeeeeeee

can't even remember how i found you dennis, but am very glad i DID!!! what i do remember is that i was pretty angry, and ready to start my own website.

the BEST revenge is living well... :D

The forum was finished the last week of Feb and I had told an inside circle about it as we were figuring it all out but did not actually broadcast it's up until March..

Seems like a lifetime ago...

Today:

Our users have posted a total of 31510 articles

We have 471 registered users

;);)

found it by luck

stumbled across the site when Dennis was still making the textured units. I wanted one that day, not to be. glad I had kids in college to make me slow down and wait for the upgrades. I was about to settle for an egg and my sweet sweet wife mumbled something about I should buy the KKoker I really wanted. I love this kooker. I'm having fun with it and everything is tasty, hell I will not be kooking and just lift the lid to take a look inside, the seasoning process is coming along nicely, and it can only get better. Looking forward to my first pizza. Having a bit of trouble with the pics, but once I figure it out I will be on board. I have a few recipes to share.

I like this forum, talk with you later, have a good day

I think I first saw the KK on eBay when I was looking to sell my POSK (because it was on the verge of falling apart). I saw the OTB and said WTF is that thing (it looked strange). Two OTB's later and four friends and family recruited and I couldn't be happier. Once you have a KK you realize what a piece of garbage the POSK is.

Re: How did you find Komodo Kamado

I have a friend who had been trying to convince me to buy a BGE for a few years and I finally decided to do a look into it. I found the POSK and my wife liked the look of it better than the egg so I sent an email asking about the purchase process. I was lucky in that I didn't receive a timely response and started doing more research, I found the KK site and was a silent watcher on the forum for about 3 months before I told the wife what I wanted to buy. She was hesitant at first but now tells everyone she would have bought it for me 10 years earlier if she had known how good of a cook I was going to become!!

I went to Canada and visited my Greek cousin in law...he had one. I was hooked...2 weeks upon my return to California I ordered it.. Had a good reference already so I was not concerned about long distance Internet purchase.

No regrets at all!!! Got my father to buy one too!!!

Owned a POSK for about 8 years before it started to crack and shed tiles. :mad: Stumbled upon the Kamado Fraud forum and lurked about there for a couple of years, picking up repair tips. That's where I learned about Dennis and the KK. Scoped out the Forum here and lusted over the KK for about a year. When the POSK was finally on its last legs, I took the plunge and replace it with my gorgeous KK (Dark Autumn Nebula!) Couldn't be happier!! :D