A gas unit to mount in the rear

Is your intention for aesthetic purposes or is it to be able to use the gas to light your charcoal and then use the low airflow control dial? Our very own Drunk J and I are going to look into putting the low airflow control dial feature into a door sporting a pilotless more attractive gas valve which would have a 90º elbow and a quick release.. An additional gas burner port in theory could be put somewhere around the rear but then is the plan to plumb the valve to the front or would this design require you to go around back to adjust the gas? I sorta prefer jplee's idea of a propane MAPP torch port to light the charcoal.

Ideas welcomed....

With 600 containers of teak furniture under my belt.. This week I'm going to dabble in making some teak tables/BBQ centers that an OTB would fit into..

I was thinking mostly aesthetically... so I wouldn't have to see cords and valves, and the tank could be discreetly tucked out of the way somewhere. Personally, I would want to use it for more than just lighting the charcoal... sometimes I might just want to use gas alone, for some quickie hot dogs or something. So yeah, having a control in back would be a little more hassle. Though, once you turn the thing on, how often do you mess with a gas flame? Not alot. Maybe there's a way to plumb the thing so the control's up front, but the valve's in back. Sounds tricky. I'm just trying to envision how the current version would work if I was tripping over the tank and hoses in front of the unit. Doesn't that get in the way? We need some pictures!

Re: A gas unit to mount in the rear

With 600 containers of teak furniture under my belt.. This week I'm going to dabble in making some teak tables/BBQ centers that an OTB would fit into..

Now you're talking!!! I've been considering a prep table/area for my OTB and there just isn't one available that I found to be suitable!!!

Don't forget to add a weatherproof compartment for a BBQ Guru/Rock's Stoker!!!

Teak tables

"With 600 containers of teak furniture under my belt.. This week I'm going to dabble in making some teak tables/BBQ centers that an OTB would fit into.."

Dennis - Sign me up. I'm your man. I know it's a tough job, but I'm willing to volunteer to beta test the tables! No charge! I know I know, it's hard to believe the kindness of strangers.

I've been thinking of doing something myself, but maybe I'll just wait for your engineering :lol:

Don't forget my accessories when you get a chance :?:

Re: Got an(nother) idea ;-)

I could actually cast some solid lines into the base and then have an attractive valve permanently mounted up front and the gas burner inserted through the back of the cooker using a quick release and gas line to connect the two systems...

Damn, I'm good :wink:

Since were going for the gold here, how about a built in ignitor too?

-=Jasen=-