dub

Barbecued Jalapenos!

It's end of summer and a young man's thoughts might turn to blazing capsicum pods! (or not):love:

I was perusing the local Farmer's Market pepper offerings when I chanced upon a basket full of nice red ripe jalapenos just looking for a home.

All 3 lbs were sacked up and paid for-

Time for one of my yearly rituals::hail:

I built the smallest fire in my lumpsaver that I could and used mesquite wood for smoke. put as many layers of indirect barrier as I could between the fire and the peppers which were laid out in a single layer on the uppermost grill, along with a thermometer for grate temp measurements.

This may be done better in a cold smoker, but I'm able to keep a fire in my K5 smoking at 150F with copious mesquite smoke.:toothy8:

After 8 hours-the peppers are nice and smoky-you can actually see a smoke ring on some of them- and still kind of crunchy. REAL chipotles are smoked until completely dry-so maybe these are "semi-potles"? :blob6:

I sliced them -think nacho ring style- and mixed in 2 whole heads of freshly smushed garlic.

I've had friends eat this stuff on crackers like a relish-but that's kind of hardcore. :angry4: It is a great way to get smoke and heat into dishes, like oh,say,P'menter Cheez Deeyup! (<-Southern, y'all!):lol:

There is no reason not to do it with other pepper varieties-I did habaneros once, they were a bit mushier and a whole lot of the heat cooked out of them but it was good stuff none the less.

With the nitrates from the smoke and the sulfates from the garlic as natural preservatives, this stuff will keep fridged for nearly a year.

I like making pimento cheese spread/dip with it-

Grate a chilled block of Velveeta with a large-hole grater.:smt017 I know this sounds silly but the texture comes out just right for this stuff.

Grate an appropriate smaller volume of sharp cheddar with a small-hole grater (about 2:1 ratio of Velv:Ched works pretty well)

Add chopped white (nice and hot!) or yellow onion to taste-

Add diced barbecued peppers to taste-(or regular non-smoked diced ones works,too)

Fold in mayonnaise until everything is a nice dip/spread consistency.

The flavor really is best after 12-24 hours and a couple good stirrings.

Good for makin' sammiches or loadin up Fritos and Doritos and Tostitos.

I've seen people load up chipafterchipafterchip with this stuff, tears STREAMING down their bright red sweaty faces-In obvious pain but they *couldn't*stop*eating*it! :tard:

I like when that happens! :twisted:

dub(dilettante sadist)

this is a recipe i'll have to try. one of the things i do with jalapenos is save the seeds after making ABT's. once i have a bunch of seeds saved up in the freezer, i take them out, spread them on a layer of tinfoil, and dry them on the smoker with lots of hickory smoke. after totally dry, i grind them in a spice grinder for homemade smoked chile powder. it is great for making chili and getting that smoke "pop" into it w/o adding liquid smoke (p-tooie!)

I make a similar paste for using when cooking, except with fresh & dried pepper. I take whatever varieties of dried peppers I am in the mood for and re-hydrate them. Then scrape the good stuff off the skins and mix with crushed fresh jalapeños, ground cumin and salt. The cumin gives it some nice smoky flavor. This stuff is great making sauces, salsas or whatever needs a kick up.

-=Jasen=-

deej, this is not the place to be talkin about your big back yard! :twisted:

kidding aside, i think a more US central location (thinking "midwest" :wink: ) would be more conducive to universal attendance. i nominate the champaign county fairgrounds, or MY backyard (wife will kill me, but it'd be worth it!)

what we need is a container of kk's drop shipped, people to sign up for cooking duty on one of the units, and exposure to be able to sell the kk's that are there.

i'll keep buyin lotto tickets :wink:

"emotated" I like that! :-)

Dub, I like your post. It's properly emotated. :happy8:

Can't say I'll roast jalepenos, but I like lookin at the pictures. :wink:

:lol::wink::smt005

Thanks, Sanny! Can you tell me what this one :colors: is for?

I see no reason why milder peppers couldn't be used. The Farmers Market has a real dearth of jalapenos this year.

I nearly Q'd up some aji dulces instead. (they're like heatless habaneros) :idea:

I might should change that "instead" into an "also".....:smt112

dub(cmon-don't wuss out-this is a great hot dip for people who don't like hot dip)

Yah, prolly am a lost cause. Pitiful, really. :oops:

Strange, too, cause I like those round Italian pickled cherry peppers, and the pepperoncini (pickled long greenish yellow thingies). I just don't like the OTHER kind of hot. :?

But I like you guys (and Trish) anyway. :happy8: And surely you're all hotties. :love2:

I know I'm coming into this thread kinda late, but you could use Anaheim or Poblano Chili's if you don't want the heat but still want that great chili flavor. Man, reading this thread makes me want to start up my pepper garden again. I had everything from Sweet Pell Peppers to Red Savina Habinero's which just got knocked off its perch in the guiness book of world records by the Bhut Jolokia (i think I spelled that right :roll: )

I would just slice the habinero's real thin and put them on crackers with a little cheese, but wow, smoked? Now I want to try that !!!

Jalapenos are also good grilled' date=' cleaned, ground up in a stone thingy (forgot the name) and added into salsa. Oh yea baby! Nice roasted flavor. Ummm Humm[/quote']

Ahh, that would be a Mortar and pestle. I have one up in the cabinet somewhere, that would be a good reason to break it out.

Re: Barbecued Jalapenos!

Molacajete. I use mine to grind together, for example, hot chile (lots of kinds either fresh or dried), garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper (including szechuan), mint, etc. as a rub or the base for good ponzu which I use to baste whatever I want to cook, especially any kind of poultry.