Porkchop

Hey!! What's going on the grill this weekend, ya'll???

You half-boaters out there...

I'm guessing you just put a small strip of bacon on top? Is that right? Otherwise seems like there's no way to cook the bacon evenly.

And: Do you still cook direct?

Heh, all this time and never really paid attention to how others were cooking 'em.

i use a 1/2 strip of bacon per half-boat and completely wrap all the way around. indirect 250, couple hours. yep. hours. i know, i'm weird, but please, just try it this way with a few, and endure the wait, next time you do ribs.

you will like them. you'll wish you made more.

the bacon will cook all the way; it just takes time. sprinkle with a little sugary rub before they go on. if you try to cook too fast, the bacon shrinks up and gets ugly. low and slow, the fat and water render out, the bacon gets "tender-crisp" and the pepper gets SOFT.

i use a 1/2 strip of bacon per half-boat and completely wrap all the way around. indirect 250, couple hours. yep. hours. i know, i'm weird, but please, just try it this way with a few, and endure the wait, next time you do ribs.

you will like them. you'll wish you made more.

the bacon will cook all the way; it just takes time. sprinkle with a little sugary rub before they go on. if you try to cook too fast, the bacon shrinks up and gets ugly. low and slow, the fat and water render out, the bacon gets "tender-crisp" and the pepper gets SOFT.

What he said. I learned how to make them from Porkchop.

I just made some EPIC pork chops. First I need you to imagine Porkchop's avatar. I used Iowa Cut pork chops that were over 1lb each. These monsters were an inch and a half thick. I have never cooked pork chops this big before.

Step 1. Last night I brined them for 4 hours in 2 quarts of water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup turbinado sugar

Step 2. I made a rub consisting of: 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp ancho chile powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Step 3. I rubbed 2 of the 4 monster chops with this rub and 2 I left plain

Step 4. Got the K up to 375 and threw them on.

Step 5. Cooked 5-6 minutes each side and then flipped. Repeated until pork reached 144 degrees with thermapen

Step 6. ...

Step 7. Profit

I'm here to tell you those were the best pork chops I've made in my life. Thanks to Porkchop for the inspiration on the rub this afternoon.

I just put on 32 legs (Tsunami Spin rub) and a few country ribs. The legs are mostly for my lunches, I food saver them and take em into work in 3-packs. Of course, I'll have a few for tonight with some of the ribs. The ribs have a little of this and a little of that for rub.

I usually slow cook the chicken when I have the time...yummy tender. The ribs will be slow cooking also until it's close to dinner, then I'll crank it up to 350-400 or so to get a little crispness to the outer layer.

Food

100_1244.jpg

100_1243.jpg

My Daughter took these. Some frogs playing leap frog (she's 7 1/2 so that's what I'm sticking to). And our cat thinking about her next ,meal

100_1240.jpg

100_1239.jpg

Gonna plunge my Stoker in a butt :oops::oops::oops: (and a brisket) to celebrate Father's Day. Probably gonna ABT some too.

There was mention of something new (at least to me) on the green forum earlier this week: preserved (like in a jar) dates, stuffed with ricotta, wrapped in bacon, and heavily peppered. Of course, around here, I'll probably have to improvise: prunes, stuffed with cheese whiz and smeared with lard. But pepper we've got.