Saucier

Whaddyall do with your left over butts?

Just thinking of good things to do with leftover butts...

One thing I like to do is shread off some chunks, put them on a foil lined sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.

Place them under the broiler and broil until they are just crispy on the outside (turning a time or two) but still moist on the inside. (Carnitas)

They are good to eat just like that, or you can crisp em a bit harder, and put them in in green or red enchilada sauce and make burritos, enchiladas, or anything!

Not bad mixed with some scrambled eggs & melted cheese, and a good fresh SEARING HOT homeade salsa. (Modelo Negro goes good here too) :):wink:;):P:mexican::drinkers:

my favorite thing to do with left-um-over pull is enchiladas. mexican seems to be the thing i go to on the pulled pork. i've done tacos, and really really good nachos!

somewhere in teh intraweb is a recipe for pulled pork pate. never tried it but it sounds delish.

pulled pork also makes great pizza topping. a little homemade bbq sauce, some cheddar jack, and some pull makes an awful good thin crust pie! onions, peppers, and shrooms go well with it too.

hopefully dub will find this post soon; been groovin on some of his recipe submissions of late!

I love BBQ chili. Usually just make up the chili with bean sauce and pour is over the BBQ since the que does not really need to cook any longer. BBQ soft tacos are great too. As already stated in this forum, if you do not have a food saver, you must get one. Seal it and save it for all those tasty dishes when you just don't have 18 hours to make it up fresh. I alway keep several bags in the freezer. Makes nice gifts when you wake up the neighbors at 3am while making que too.

Just remembered I saw a food network TV show the other day that had BBQ spaghetti. Now I have not tried it, but it sounds interesting.

-=Jasen=-

fried egg luge

Hash rocks, for using up many kinds of barbecue.

I like a plain, discrete hash, look in "Joy" for the gloppy kind:

Dice yellow potatoes, steam 4 minutes or so till firm but done. Either chill many hours in fridge (best) or immerse in cold water, spin dry using salad spinner (expedient). Pan fry in ghee or preferred oil till brown, set aside.

Saute onions, carrots, celery or fennel, bell pepper to taste in olive oil or preferred oil. Add diced meat (trimmed of excess fat) and heat through. Combine with potatoes. Season with salt, pepper as needed.

I like reheating hash for breakfast with a fried egg and a generous slathering of home-fermented hot sauce. I discovered this morning fried egg luge, get a frying pan as hot as possible, free the fried egg, and with a rapid wrist motion, get the fried egg to do very fast laps around the inside rim of the pan. If there isn't a significant risk of the egg flying across the room, you're doing it wrong; remember the real reason people watch races.

This gets a very nicely crisped exterior without overcooking the yolk, and it's so much fun that one can almost forget one is only having one egg.

vacumn

I don't have the FoodSaver product, but my nurse just gave me something sold by Reynolds. "Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacumn Sealer"

It's a handheld vacumn pump that connects to special proprietary zipper bags. You put the food in and zip shut, then there is a little port that the vacumn pump connects to to evacuate the air. Kind of like those one way valves on the coffee bags. It's about half way between a FoodSaver and the "suck the air out with a straw" trick. Perhaps later this week I'll try it.

Any of ya'll tried this contraption?

Pulled Pork Fajitas

I tend not to eat pulled pork sandwiches. Instead, when I cook a butt I use the pork in fajitas (fools me into thinking it is mildly healthy for me ;-)). Any leftovers are thrown into vacuum seal bags that get tossed in the freezer and pulled out when I want more fajitas. The pork stays good for a long time so I never cook a single butt. Cooking two is very little extra work compared to one.