jiarby

Syzygies Popularity Plummets

No, I am not banned at the other forum, but I did commit "Kamado Suicide" and deleted my profile of my own accord. I decided to just ride off into the sunset.

I guess I could give Syzygies the flu, but not the plague. I could make him a Plaque to commemorate his achievement and maybe a trophy that kinda barely looks like an Oscar® statue....but not enough to get me sued by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences®.

Dave told me that he was Russell Crow's "Hand Double" whenever there was a close up scene of Crow writing math on the chalkboard it was really Syzygies in the movie.

So Syzygies' hand is more beautiful than his mind! :D I can see where he'd have difficulty finding more work as a mathematicians' hand/stunt double. Keeping that hand in shape must take a lot of exercise. ;):D I imagine he had to read for the part....who did he beat out! :shock: The hand double for Good Will Hunting?

Keeping that hand in shape must take a lot of exercise. ;):D I imagine he had to read for the part....

Sounds like you're thinking more along the lines of a casting couch? ;)

Actually, my hand did get one love scene, pointing at stars with Jennifer Connolly's double. In classic Hollywood fashion, we got about two minutes to get comfortable with each other before they starting filming.

Earlier, Russell Crowe got this idea that we should wear acrylic nails to make our hands look longer and more graceful, more like John Nash's hands. I ended up going to the same salon in New Jersey that did Edie Falco's nails for the Sopranos. (No, one can't make this stuff up.) The head of the salon was on a cell phone from a Caribbean cruise ship as she monitored her assistant on this crucial assignment. She asked if I was doing anything else on the film, and I promptly asserted that I was also Russell's love scene double.

"Honey, will you be needing an extension for that, too?"

Here's my favorite writeup, from The New Yorker: A Beautiful Hand

"It was supposed to be in some sense numerological gibberish, but he had the sense that it wasn't quite gibberish, and he wanted me to say what it was." And Nash was right, Bayer said: "It wasn't quite gibberish."

So would you care to enlighten those of us who are mathematically challenged? What exactly was it that was on the clipboard?

So would you care to enlighten those of us who are mathematically challenged? What exactly was it that was on the clipboard?

Akiva Goldsman simplified Nash's post-illness mathematical career by having him concentrate on the Riemann Hypothesis. This is one of the biggest open problems in mathematics, it has some practical consequences e.g. for making and breaking codes, though one can often take advantage of these consequences by simply hoping that it is true, and praying that what one did turns out to be justified.

The descriptions are generally very technical, but the RH relates prime numbers (places along the usual number line) to other places in a "complex plane" containing the number line. This complex plane is generally accepted now, but wasn't universally accepted a few centuries ago. What's worse, our typical "flashlight" (infinite sums) illuminates round disks, and can't even see the places in the complex plane that the RH discusses.

Infinite divides (continued fractions) have a different shaped "flashlight" pattern, more like lighting a lantern in the woods, and shining light everywhere not blocked by trees. I had Nash playing with continued fractions related to primes, at this point in the film where he was just starting to recover from his illness.

The complex plane is just the second in a sequence of harder, stranger spaces of numbers; the next is four dimensional. So is space-time. I had Nash equate these, looking to solve the RH in four dimensions, in his Harvard Lecture Hall talk where he cracks up and runs. I ran this line by my colleague Brian Greene and it completely cracked him up, so I had to use it. Others saw the film and were particularly scornful of this line, such is life. It was "in character" for Nash at this point in the film.