AstrosDad

How do you get the KK off the crate?

I just signed for my beautiful black GenII today and then headed back to work. It's sitting happily in the garage.

I've been looking on the forum to figure out how to get it off the crate?

I know that I remove the 8 lag bolts and then the entire crate slips off. How does one get it off the crate? Do I need to lift it off the base, build a ramp, or be rolled down?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

People have built ramps, either with plywood or by disassembling the crate. Note that you don't need to build the path all the way, you can just use a few sheets of plywood and move the wood as you need to.

You can also take it there in pieces with two strong people fairly easily. All together it's pretty heavy, but a lot of that is lid and accessories which you can carry in a separate trip. The trick is to use a pair of 2x4s and support it from underneath with ropes or (preferably) straps.

Myself, I like using my toys. :)

It's sitting in my garage. My intent is to get the thing off the base of the crate and then roll it to the driveway and down the side of the house to the patio. The driveway and patio is level concrete, so I should be able to roll it without a problem.

I can probably round up another guy to help me get this off the crate base. I don't think we can physically lift it ourselves. I may have to build a ramp.

Back when I bought my K, my neighbor and I lifted it up and another neighbor pulled out the base of the crate. I used Forearm Forklifts which are pretty widely available. I've seen them at U-Haul and Ace Hardware.

You can see photos and description at "the other forum":

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/1/17846.html

I keep a set of Forearm Forkilfts and Teamstraps around as it is amazing what you can lift and move without destroying your back.

#349, Glass Black has been un-crated and set on the ground!

Thanks for all of those that replied.

Time to go figure out what all the pieces are.

Will post pictures once I set up the beautiful beast.

Who cares about "Functional Yard Art"? The KK is a Masterpiece! :lol:

Thanks Dennis. You build a beautiful piece of equipment.

It should not take much of a ramp to just get the KK off the pallet. I was lucky enough to have a parking space to sidewalk height difference of the pallet. So I just rolled it off the pallet onto my sidewalk. I am sure there is enough scrap in the top of the crate to come up with a quick, make shift ramp.

Anyway, welcome to forum and congrats on the new cooker. We look forward to many pics from you!

-=Jasen=-

Yup, still comes with a harness.

I don't know if they still ship like this but it used to have poly rope loops around the legs. You stick a 2x4 between the front and back loop on each side and you can lift' date=' balancing it right off of the pallet.[/quote']

All Komodos have always come with a harness tied around the body and legs. One can slip two 2x4's through it and lift with four inspired men.

;);)