AstrosDad

Heat Deflector / Plate Setter

I still haven't been able to do my first cook on the new KK. :x

I've been using a plate setter on my other ceramic cooker. I don't want to break in the new KK heatdeflector quite yet.

Does anyone have experience with using a plate setter on a KK? If so, what size did you get? Will placing the plate setter on the lower grate cause warpage of the grate?

Why not just use the heat deflector, don't think it has a break in period. If those grates can withstand the 1400+ degree heat without a deflector(done it many times) I don't see how you could warp the grates with a plate setter on it.IMHO I would just put it on the charcoal basket, it has been designed for just that purpose.

Why not just use the heat deflector' date=' don't think it has a break in period. If those grates can withstand the 1400+ degree heat without a deflector(done it many times) I don't see how you could warp the grates with a plate setter on it.IMHO I would just put it on the charcoal basket, it has been designed for just that purpose.[/quote']

Seeing my plate setter has already been well seasoned and used, I really didn't want to de-virginize the KK heat deflector just yet. :oops:

I just figured, I may try the plate setter and keep the KK deflector in it's "new" state.

it's time for it to loose it's virginity!

Seeing my plate setter has already been well seasoned and used, I really didn't want to de-virginize the KK heat deflector just yet. :oops:

I just figured, I may try the plate setter and keep the KK deflector in it's "new" state.

Your new Komodo's heat deflector came with a stainless pan to prevent heat shock when you set it down on the charcoal basket.. It's doing you now good unless you use it..

My advice is to slip it out of it's cardboard clothes and get cookin' with it.

It's old enough and it's time for it to loose it's virginity!

No smokin' sausage jokes please!

:eek::eek::eek:

Did I say that? Bad poster!

Lava Rock Deflector

Here are the photos of the lava rock rig. I took a stainless version of the black vegetable griller shown, (they call it a wok) and filled it up with lava rocks. The package photo is for the stainless one. Got the lava rocks and the stainless wok at Home Depot, right by the gas grill area. UPC might be discernible in the photo. I just put it right on top of the charcoal basket. Works like a champ. I might frame the stainless drip tray and heat deflector that came with the Bronze Behemoth and put them on the wall, they are so pretty!

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100080