DennisLinkletter

First Peek @ the new KK 19.5" OTB

Gerard,

Actually, I was a Basidiomycete taxonomist/ecologist.

Many fungi are extremely difficult to actually pin down to species, because you have to grow the sexual phase to do that, and how to grow the sexual phase is often unknown.

That doesn't seem to be the case with trichophyton, and here's a link to the tests required for a species ID. It may be that these test are so time consuming that they feel that treatment will be over before results would be in. I've got no experience with this type of fungus, though, so I'm *speculating enthusiastically*.

http://www.doctorfungus.org/thefungi/Trichophyton.htm

Mike

For year-in, year-out all around eating pleasure, I find it very hard to beat chanterelles. Unfortunately, they've gotten too popular, and spots where I used to be able to go and reliably pick 10-20 pounds are often swept clean :((

They grill up really nicely!

is it true Amphoran that they are pretty safe as far as identification?

Yes, Chanterelles are one of the safest mushrooms to send a neophyte out after.

They have a unique body structure, a pretty unique color, and grow in pretty specific types of locations.

One of the things that make them easy is that they have low ridges, rather than gills, running down their outside. If you study the difference, you really can't go wrong.

Yes, Chanterelles are one of the safest mushrooms to send a neophyte out after.

They have a unique body structure, a pretty unique color, and grow in pretty specific types of locations.

One of the things that make them easy is that they have low ridges, rather than gills, running down their outside. If you study the difference, you really can't go wrong.

some of the guys i know that go out here in napa get what they call cocoli (sp) chantrelles and porcini--they all have there spots and it all a secret

19.5" Dimensions.

Dennis:

These side by side pictures are very helpful. Still looking forward to getting the full set of dimensions a-la "OTB Dimensions" posting.

My BBQ Wet bar is under construction right now, and I want to make sure the eventual upgrade from my Imperial Kamado to this new 19.5" KO-KA OTB can occur with no problem when it becomes available.

Using your side by side pictures I have estimated the critical dimensions that I need to confirm with you are accurate, at this stage of my construction.

Overall Height of 19.5" Model without base & Wheels = 38" (Floor to damper top)

Floor to Lip without base & wheels = 23"

The final critical dimension I will need is B (Front edge to opened damper top) which is 40" in the case of the larger OTB. I hope this dimension in the case of the 19.5" model will be <=36".

Re: 19.5" Dimensions.

Dennis:

These side by side pictures are very helpful. Still looking forward to getting the full set of dimensions a-la "OTB Dimensions" posting.

My BBQ Wet bar is under construction right now, and I want to make sure the eventual upgrade from my Imperial Kamado to this new 19.5" KO-KA OTB can occur with no problem when it becomes available.

Using your side by side pictures I have estimated the critical dimensions that I need to confirm with you are accurate, at this stage of my construction.

Overall Height of 19.5" Model without base & Wheels = 38" (Floor to damper top)

Floor to Lip without base & wheels = 23"

The final critical dimension I will need is B (Front edge to opened damper top) which is 40" in the case of the larger OTB. I hope this dimension in the case of the 19.5" model will be

I'm sorry I missed this post.. I'll get these for you on Monday.

Toooo Sweeeet!!!

That wider base is going to provide for two great features that I can think of immediately:

1) A better center of gravity. No chance of this guy tipping over! Very stable!

2) More FUEL!! Who doesn't want longer cooks?!?!?!

Awesome work Dennis! I cannot wait to see a finished 19.5" OTB. These will be on apartment decks everywhere!! :D:D:D

You know; come to think of it. :wave:

I'm out here in the frigid midwest where temps hit the negative double digits, w/o wind chill factored in. Of course I don't know if wind chill effects material things or not, but still I think right here could be a pretty good darn test site too! ;)

Nah those are good reasons but unfortunately I need one for research asap since a great medium sized KK would crack open the market here. :D

Strangely enough most antipods don't seem to go for a normal sized KK. :shock: