AstrosDad

Charcoal Questions

What type of lump are people using in the SF Bay Area? I've purchased some of the Mesquite Lump from Smart and Final. It has lots of ash and a rather short burn time. I've also used the Lazzari mesquite. I'm trying to find non-mesquite lump.

Secondly, how do you manage not to stink of smoke when you use the KK? I always have to shower after cooking because I stink like smoke.

Thanks

I'll let someone more local comment on lump sources (though I am in San Jose at the moment ;) )

Depending on what you are cooking, you can sometimes avoid the smoke-bath. You have probably noticed that the lump generates smoke when it is first lit, so standing over the grill while waiting for the lump to get going wont help. If you are grilling with smoke, you can lessen the blow if you wait until the grill is up to temp, and toss on a chunk of wood or two. Let it smoke for a few minutes, then load the food. Be quick, and you will only get a little smoky :D If you are doing a low and slow, you load the lump and wood all at the same time, and just pour a half chimney of coals over the top, close the lid and walk away.

Sometimes its unavoidable. I will often go wash the smoke off and change clothes before I eat. It helps me from being too impatient while waiting for the meat to rest.

Smelling like Q?

Secondly, how do you manage not to stink of smoke when you use the KK? I always have to shower after cooking because I stink like smoke.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat and am forced by my lady to shower multiple times or have to sit on the floor with my dog..

The solution:

I've set up a fan to blow across the cooker from the side, a little to the front.. does a great job in keeping the smoke away from me.

But that damn smoke is sure sticky..

:eek::eek:

Re: Smelling like Q?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat and am forced by my lady to shower multiple times or have to sit on the floor with my dog..

The solution:

I've set up a fan to blow across the cooker from the side, a little to the front.. does a great job in keeping the smoke away from me.

But that damn smoke is sure sticky..

:eek::eek:

You have inspired me to smoke my annual cigar when using the smoker. Kill 2 birds with one stone

That way it saves an extra shower :-)

Re: Charcoal Questions

What type of lump are people using in the SF Bay Area? I've purchased some of the Mesquite Lump from Smart and Final. It has lots of ash and a rather short burn time. I've also used the Lazzari mesquite. I'm trying to find non-mesquite lump.

Lazarri sells a much broader selection of products from their SF location than one sees in stores. Oak lump, chunks of smoking wood are the highlights for me.

Lazzari Fuel Company

http://www.lazzari.com/

Brisbane, South San Francisco

11 Industrial Way Brisbane, CA

(415) 467 2970

Their driveway is only a few feet from the intersection, and doesn't look right. Trust me, this is the place. It looks from a distance like a movie set for an apocalypse movie, one could easily imagine filming a sequel to "28 Days Later" here. Park near the bombed out abandoned building, go in the opening, look for a stairs on your left to the upstairs level, enter the abandoned office gingerly, and make some noise. A very friendly local will appear and take your order.

Lazzari Oak is much better that Lazzari Mesquite, by my lights. Sure, I'd use mesquite if there was no other choice, which was the historical situation in parts of the west. Doesn't mean it doesn't smell bad and leave sharp, off tastes in your food. Hey, I used to use it. Oak is better.

I load 8 40 lb bags of Oak Lump into my VW GTI on each trip. While you're there the first time, grab bags of apple chips (no chunks available) and hickory chunks.

I emailed Lazzari about 8-10 months ago asking how I might get their oak lump since I see their mesquite in local stores. They told me to go to BBQ galore because that was their oak lump. It seems here in California (or at least northern calif.) that BBG Galore store brand is Lazzari Oak lump. I'm sure it is a better price purchased from Lazarri.