Firemonkey

Where can I kick the tires in Orlando, FL?

Let me introduce myself...

My name is Rick, or firemonkey in the online world. I have a #5 kooker made by , er...the other guys. I bought it used from a guy who was moving out of state, and have had it a few months. I do love cooking on it, and was considering getting another, larger one. I was about to pick up the phone and order one, when I stumbled upon this site. After spending the last few hours perusing the information and opinions here, I must admit that I have been enlightened.

I have seen first hand the issues that are all to familiar to Kamado owners - cracking, tiles getting loose, adjusting bands for a tight seal, unreachable customer service, etc. I find the Komodo variant to be asthetically superior, and am intrigued by the manufacturing differences. I live outside of Orlando, which would also be a point in favor of KK. I have no outstanding issues with RichardJ et. al., other than a couple unreturned calls and a charcoal order which has been pending for 3 months. Still, I have seen the customer service problems of others, and do find them troubling.

I found it refreshing to see Dennis openly responding to questioning, and welcoming comparison of his features. I am confident that I would never get a reply from the Ensenda faction if I were to ask the same types of pressing questions I've seen here. Further, the only comparison I would get of the two brands would be along the lines of "I was here first, they are copy cats." Gee, lets apply that argument to anything else. For example...automobiles?

I am in the market for another cooker, and I have some questions. Hopefully, I can find some answers here. My apologies if these are answered elsewhere, I have done alot of reading over the last few hours!

-- Since I have some loose tiles and some cracks that open up in the grout lines when my K is hot, what will keep the same sort of thing from happening on a KK?

-- What is the turnaround / deliivery time for a KK? What is the FOB location ( I am in orlando so that would be a GREAT answer!)?

-- I Have the gas option on my existing K, and I love it. Granted, I only use it for igniting, then switch to a standard draft door, but to go back to a chimney would be..well, backwards. The KK gas assembly looks like it could be cumbersome. Is this true?

-- Is the KK material prone to cracking - at any level?

-- Does the KK material retain heat as well as, or better than a K?

-- Where can I find a copy of the KK warranty?

-- Has the time difference been challenging when contacting KK?

-- Finally, is there anyone local who would let me stop by and have an up close and personal look at their KK?

Sorry for the lengthy post...But I was an answered phone call (the Johnsons are hard to reach) away from ordering another K. Now, I feel like I just found out my wife was cheating on me, but its okay because a sweet, young hottie told me while whispering in my ear! But a little due dilligence is in order before tossing the cheating wife and moving in the hottie, right?

A Few Answers!

Here are a few answers!

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32 - Warranty

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205 - New Burner

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199 - New Side Tables

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 - Material Questions

viewtopic.php?t=2&highlight=tiles - Tiles

As soon as I get a few minutes to gather it together, I was planning on posting some more FAQ based on the zillions of questions I have been asking Dennis. He has been patiently replying to every one of them, so I figured that was the least I could do. Oh, and the getting in touch with him has been no problem for me. I used email, PM or Skype (www.skype.com) (I talked to him a couple times over the last few days via Skype - just remember we are 12 hours behind plus daylight saving on the east coast).

Thanks J

Those were helpful links. I originally thought that the KK was overpriced, until I realized it comes with many accessories K charges extra for. Can anyone comment about the racks KK is currently shipping? One of the things that impressed me withe Kaado was their heavy S/S grills, brackets, etc.

Now, where can I see one and how long will it take to get one?

Also, I would have to agree with the poster in another thread who said this forum needs more pictures. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words... I wonder what this picture is saying? These open up all around my K when i get it hot. Not crazy hot, just like 500 or so.

DSCN1378.jpg

Hey Firemonkey

If you check with the manufacturer of that grill, he'll tell you the damage is due to your failure to seal the grout, and all the freezing weather you get in Orlando.

But you're in luck.

I see an opportunity... in a year or two, you'll have a nice little pile of tiles that you can use to make a new avatar and to communicate your concerns with the Kompany.

Of course, with a #5, you'll have to keep your sentences short.

!!

The grill comes with a couple of SS grill surface choices - http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212

I think I remember Dennis saying somewhere that it is about 40 days to FL (water and port time) and usually a week (2 week max) on building your grill.

CYA!

-=Jasen=-

PS, look in the gallery and stock buttons at www.komodokamado.com (there are several pages worth too if you note the tab at the top of the page)