ThreeDJ16

Grill Starter Torch Mod (Rev 0)

Well, I took the cheap Harbor Freight torch ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91061 ) and added a SS tube extension to it. I used a compression tube fitting so it would have some adjustment to it (the nozzle can tilt up or down). Also extended the auto start wiring so the push button start still works. Not sure what I was thinking when I made it this long. But the next rev will be much shorter, trim up the tube coming out of the torch head and make a heavier hanging mount.

-=Jasen=-

1143652754_DSCN1594(Medium).JPG.27510b487317d215fe22fac9c8cf2047.JPG

178445107_DSCN1611(Medium).JPG.914e1d8c88755a8cac06de794829408f.JPG

FYI, the gas is just barely turned out. It will through out a pretty nice flame at full open.

dscn1594mediumnp0.jpg

Edited by ThreeDJ16
  • Like 1

This Thing Works Great!

Man, I just cannot get over how easy and well this thing works for starting the grill now. If I could find something more flexible for the last 6" of length on the nozzle (I know, doesn't even sound right), it would be perfect. I have been starting and putting out the fire a bunch the last few days just for the fun of it. Might have to look into getting a patent for this grill starter and find someone to manufacture them. They would work on almost any type of charcoal grill.

-=Jasen=-

Looks great too! Very cool 8)

My only concern is with the material that covers the "spark" wire. Any chance of that igniting/melting/ etc.?

Otherwise, build a couple and put 'em for sale here. Heck, I think I would check one out! ;)

Thanks.

The spark wire is actually high voltage silicon (salvaged it from an old high voltage test probe). Silicone can handle 500 degrees but no direct flame (at least not for long). I was going to cover it with the fiberglass insulation like I used on my old Guru wires, but it was too small inside diameter. Now, that all being said, this was one of the reasons I shortened the nozzle length. It actually comes nowhere close to the fire anymore unless you let it burn way too long (hard to tell in the pics, but far enough it is not an issue). Also, the tip portion of the igniter is ceramic, so it is not an issue.

Making them was pretty easy to retro an existing torch. Just drilled and tapped a tube end cap fitting to have a 1/8" pipe opening, welded a 1/8" pipe nipple on one end of the tube and welded on some wire supports. Don't know if that would be a better angle or look at a complete from scratch design. I am going to look hard for some flexible metal tube to add into the nozzle end of the torch (but it does adjust pretty easy now with that tube fitting).

-=Jasen=-

So a production model is in the works? C'mon Dennis, er Jasen (lol) how long 'til you've got a model you might consider sellin'? :D I know you like to tinker just for tinkerin's sake, but I think you are on to something here and would like to check one out myself. Providing that it is not cost-prohibitive?

Nice work' date=' but it's turning into an over-engineered, over-priced Golf Club! :shock: DOH![/quote']

That's funny, as I don't see any rubber hose connecting my torch base to the nozzle? As for over priced, guess I am curious how you come up with that? I took a cheap torch (which one is also required for the Guru Club) and added a piece of SS tube to it (which is also part of the club). Only thing I through into the mix is a fitting to allow a swivel without using rubber hose and kept the auto start feature which Guru did not.

I think the Guru folks did a fine job. It is just not what I want. If you are happy with it, I am glad for you. Some of us just aren't into whatever we can get the cheapest to do the job.

-=Jasen=-

Perhaps I should have said 'higher priced', it's only $7 less than the club before you start with all the mods.

Don't misunderstand me, it's certainly a nice set up, :thumbleft: but lets be honest, how many people can do this themselves? :huh:

Besides, the GC is also a:

Grill Cleaner,

Grid Lifter,

Ash Tool,

Fire Tool

Howz bout that! :lol:

Perhaps I should have said 'higher priced', it's only $7 less than the club before you start with all the mods.

Don't misunderstand me, it's certainly a nice set up, :thumbleft: but lets be honest, how many people can do this themselves? :huh:

Besides, the GC is also a:

Grill Cleaner,

Grid Lifter,

Ash Tool,

Fire Tool

Howz bout that! :lol:

Actually not, the club does not come with a torch, only the nozzle. So you still have to provide you own. Also, the Guru club is $24.99 now too ( http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... 16#details ). I agree most could not build this themselves, but it was an idea to provide a kit to mod an existing torch. You know, kinda like sticking a Guru club rubber hose on a torch, except mine just threads right on. 8)

And on the other items. Doubt it will fit my 3/8" grill to clean and unless it has a titanium core, no way in hell it will lift this heavy thing. Besides I love my grillfloss for that. Also, not a great idea to go sticking a nozzle you expect gas to flow from into ash and grease. :roll:

-=Jasen=-

And on the other items. Doubt it will fit my 3/8" grill to clean and unless it has a titanium core' date=' no way in hell it will lift this heavy thing. Besides I love my grillfloss for that. Also, not a great idea to go sticking a nozzle you expect gas to flow from into ash and grease. :roll: [/quote']

No doubt, it's really a joke to think it could/should be used for the other items, but does get all the starting duty now instead of the gas burner.

I checked out the golfclub from bbqguru and liked it for the ability to light the charcoal and move just the flame head around the pit. The flexible hose is a plus there but it has obvious drawbacks, eh? :flame: If the end-user is not careful, that tube catches fire and life is not good! ;) But the same could happen to the wire going from Deej's tip igniter. Bottom line, use common sense and tend the pit when the pit ignitor is in use! :D

That being said, the guru golf club is a product you can buy today and Deej's is for him to show off! - (for now?) Let us know your plans to sell Deej - I like the all-in-one ignitor idea and would like one for my home use. The other options listed on the guru club are negligible... :roll: but a good product for the purpose of lighting a pit! :wink:

The flexible hose is a plus there but it has obvious drawbacks' date=' eh? :flame: If the end-user is not careful, that tube catches fire and life is not good! ;) But the same could happen to the wire going from Deej's tip igniter. [/quote']

The difference is my igniter wire does not have propane flowing through it...hehehe!

I am actually looking for a small piece of SS accordian tube which would give my starter more flexibility. But you can already move it anywhere around the fire, you just move the bottle mount across the front for side to side and swivel the tube fitting to move the flame from front to back. I also like the fact that I can set my torch on the side, point the nozzle where needed and don't have to stand there with it.

That being said, the guru golf club is a product you can buy today and Deej's is for him to show off! - (for now?) Let us know your plans to sell Deej - I like the all-in-one igniter idea and would like one for my home use. The other options listed on the guru club are negligible... :roll: but a good product for the purpose of lighting a pit! :wink:

Yeah, won't be anytime soon for me...hehe. And I think the Guru is a good product, so go for it or the Benz-0-matic like Gerard got the other day. Here is an idea Firemonkey mentioned to me. If you already have a 20 lb propane tank in the area, grab a propane specific quick disconnect and buy one of the larger weed burners from Harbor Freight or the likes ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91037 ). Plug it in, use it and unplug to store. Talk about being a Firemonkey...hehehe...could do it with that burner!!

:diabloanifire:

Anyway, the main thing is to have fun....build it or buy it...just be safe too.

-=Jasen=-

Deej - looking at the Benzomatic here: http://www.amazon.com/BernzoMatic-TS400 ... 979&sr=8-2

It seems like you could just extend the tube portion of the torch. The igniter is back at the base. Do you think this would work? Would not have to worry about the igniter wire any more? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Without having one to mess with, it is hard to tell. But I do know you want the ignition to be at the torch head. So I am not sure how they are accomplishing it. If you spark at the jet nozzle, bad things happen.

But really, the wire is not an issue unless your fire is consuming the entire basket and shooting up towards the lip, then maybe there is a chance of melting the wire. As I mentioned before, the last couple inches of the igniter is actually a ceramic material and the wire is silicone rated to 500 degrees. I have let it go easily for over 5 minutes already with zero issues.

-=Jasen=-