ThreeDJ16

New Grill Accessory Idea.

Not sure about anyone else, but I really use the sear grill a lot....pretty much it is either low and slow on the main or the sear grill is in use. So anyway, it would be nice to have a place to move the food items almost ready while the other continues to cook. Right now, I try to move them off to the side, but once the fire spreads, there is really not to many areas on the sear grill to move the food that is not engulfed in flame. So, basically I want a small shelf. The trick is, I don't want another accessory to keep up with, and want this simple as possible. Why not make it an attachment on the existing sear grill.

Not sure if the legs in this pic depict the correct height (this was a prototype pic from Dennis when he first made the sear grill). The sear grill legs (or handles...whatever you want to call them) actually rise to just below the main grill. This is the perfect height to park some foods almost done while you finish searing others. The mod I show below is an integral part of the sear/upper grill so nothing to loose or extra to keep up with. It changes nothing about the function of the sear or upper grill or no dimension change that would cause interference with the lid. The runners need to either be level with the handle extension (preferred) or fall below it (from sear grill perspective) to prevent them from protruding into the main grill while it is an upper grill.

Anyway, whaddaya think? As soon as time prevails, I am gonna try to mod mine. Maybe Dennis might come up with something in the mean time?

-=Jasen=-

upperinvertwithshelfpe2.jpg

Or how about a half grill for the top so you can still reach the sear grill but can take the food off and put it on a top shelf.

Not sure I follow? Make another main grill except only half? Really you could probably already get away with that using the existing main grill and opening the door. But you would need long tongs to get at the sear grill.

But anyway, what I am looking for is not having another extra grill grate or accessory to keep up with. I think integrating it into an existing accessory is the way to go. This design also does not detract from any of the existing function of the sear/upper grill either. Keep it simple!

-=Jasen=-

Yes that is what I meant. But if you only have half then more room for you to reach down and play around with the food on the sear grill. I don't actually know what I'm talking about though as I don't own a KK. It's kind of like your idea but the food is a little farther from the fire and thus not getting cooked while its resting.

Yes that is what I meant. But if you only have half then more room for you to reach down and play around with the food on the sear grill. I don't actually know what I'm talking about though as I don't own a KK. It's kind of like your idea but the food is a little farther from the fire and thus not getting cooked while its resting.

Actually it would not be further away. The top handles on the sear grill already come up to the bottom of the main grill (hard to tell in pics). What you are saying would give more shelf space, but again, I have enough grills grates to keep up with already. I bet most other people don't won't another extra one either.

-=Jasen=-

As long as we're brainstorming, what about making the top grill have hinges on both sides. Not sure exactly how to make this work - put on your thinking hats. The idea would be that one side would be about 1/3 of the upper grill more or less like it is now but the other 2/3 would open as well to have access to the sear grill.

But I like the idea of a half-grill as well.

What kind of luck have you had using the upper sear grill on the very top and using the reflected heat from the lid do the searing. If you have the drip pan and/or the deflector in place wouldn't you be able to then place the almost done items directly over the deflector? I would think you would have the same results as using a "warming rack" above the sear grill as you have described. I have to tell you, I have had great results from using the sear rack on the upper level. That lid reflects the heat just like a broiler, and I have always used the deflector unless I was making a pizza.

You may have to get another deflector -- I recall yours has a few holes in it!

Is the Gen II any different than my Supreme?

What kind of luck have you had using the upper sear grill on the very top and using the reflected heat from the lid do the searing. If you have the drip pan and/or the deflector in place wouldn't you be able to then place the almost done items directly over the deflector? I would think you would have the same results as using a "warming rack" above the sear grill as you have described. I have to tell you, I have had great results from using the sear rack on the upper level. That lid reflects the heat just like a broiler, and I have always used the deflector unless I was making a pizza.

You may have to get another deflector -- I recall yours has a few holes in it!

Is the Gen II any different than my Supreme?

I prefer the sear grill in the flames......direct. :diabloanifire:

-=Jasen=-

DJ,

Just had a thought on your mod, will you have enough room to use the EZQ with it in place? It would give a spot to do some taters or something at the same time......

Probably not....but I don't use the sear grill in place with the rotis anyway. I think the handles would already interfere with the rotis...not sure?

Hope to make this thing in the next couple weeks. All I want is something very simple to park some almost finished meats.

-=Jasen=-

Almost Finished

Fetz, the more I thought about your idea, the more it grew on me. But I had to make the accessory grill separate to do it. With this small grill, you can use your sear grill or rotisserie (though not both as the rotis will not fit with sear grill in place).

The tough part is keeping the grill in place. If it moves forward, it will fall. You cannot make a full lip loop of SS (like with the main grill) as then you could not use the rotis. The idea I came up with is to use a small bracket mounted on the one bolt inside the back of the KK. Weld a small rod to the accessory grill so it slips in the bracket and hold it against the back of the KK. Anyway, I have held off welding it to see if anyone has a better idea??

Not as purdy as one of Dennis' grills. That odd shape is a bitch to bend by hand without a shaped jig. Hopefully Dennis will like this idea and start making them (with the first one coming to me 8) ).

Also for information, the grill is 5.5" wide which is the maximum and still be able to use the 8" rotis. Though if I were making it again, I would have stopped at 5" as it is possible something could stick out of the basket a little.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1625mediumzm1.jpg

dscn1624mediumgj4.jpg

FYI, the upright bar holding the grill in place would be cut off level and welded. I just stuck in there for the pic, hoping maybe someone has a better solution.

dscn1626mediumis1.jpg

dscn1627mediumjf9.jpg

dscn1633mediumjn2.jpg

dscn1634mediumkf0.jpg

dscn1635mediumzr9.jpg

Looks great to me! I think you have a good solution.

As long as there would not be enough flex in the rod or slop in the bracket to allow it to slip off the ledge, you have it.

Of course, Dennis could make a notch in the ledge and have a couple of drop ears at the front ends of the grill to hold it fast (Ver 2.2.1 :wink: ) But we need a retrofit like your prototype!

Im with Fetz...notches on each side to hold a couple of tabs to keep it from sliding. Makes for fast and easy insert and removal. It looks like it would have to come out to use the upper grill, and it looks like it would me messy to line it up and put it back when you were done.

You should be able to dremel out a couple of notches in no time :D

It looks like it would have to come out to use the upper grill, and it looks like it would me messy to line it up and put it back when you were done.

Not sure I follow? Do you mean the sear grill, then yes, it does slide right out while it is in place. As for lining up, you mean the bar that holds back the grill? Getting it lined up initially and welding it will suck. But after that, it slips right into place easily....no tough alignment necessary provided you have no problem slipping the rod into the bracket...heheh (keeping it clean here).

Of course some kind of tabs would ultimately be great. But I am looking for the here and now.

-=Jasen=-

no, i mean what do you do when you want to use the main grid for a roast? You have to remove the grate you just built right? You saying it should align and slide back into the bracket easily, when its all greasy from use?

(still keeping it clean :eek::D )

Um, yeah. :roll: Not like this is a precision pressed fit here...hehehe. Actually there is a lot of slop in the bracket. I bent an offset in the rod that comes down from the grill (after pics were taken) so even after the slop in the bracket, it holds firm against the wall in the rear of the grill. I think even you could hit the bracket with the rod...hehe.

One of the other ideas I had was to place a washer and a piece of tubing (for a spacer) on the rear bolt in place of the bracket. Then weld a small piece of flatbar on the grill with a fork at the end. Same principal, but ultimately I went with the round bar instead since it would be much stronger.

-=Jasen=-

Damn! Thought, I had a better idea while typing this post. Attach the flatbar to the bolt and it can be the tab that sticks up at the rear of the grill. Would alleviate Firemonkey's anxiety about not getting the rod in the bracket too..hehhe. But that could get real aggravating to those who use the lower grill since it could get in the way....argh...back to the rod and the bracket.

I also guess you could still use the full loop SS around the lip and bend saddlebacks around where the rotis connects. Sure seems like a waste of material and would make for a bulky accessory.

Of course some kind of tabs would ultimately be great. But I am looking for the here and now.

-=Jasen=-

FM is right, you could auger out a couple of divots in the ledge, but that may not make the best retro for the installed base (the rest of us :cry: )....... The bolt on solution is best for mass appeal.