ThreeDJ16

New Grill Accessory Idea.

Another idea...

Leave the front crossbar, and one other crossbar extened 1/2" beyond one side of the grate.

You drill two matching holes in the side of the grill, and then you just insert the two reulting pins (longer crossbars) into the holes. Make sense? Think of inserting the left side into the holes, and dropping the right side down into place. Would not be able to slide fore or aft, and removal is just lifting out by the unattached side.

Another idea...

Leave the front crossbar, and one other crossbar extened 1/2" beyond one side of the grate.

You drill two matching holes in the side of the grill, and then you just insert the two reulting pins (longer crossbars) into the holes. Make sense? Think of inserting the left side into the holes, and dropping the right side down into place. Would not be able to slide fore or aft, and removal is just lifting out by the unattached side.

Two holes on the side side? There would have to be a good bit of slop in the holes to allow for them to be insert at an angle. Might be less risky drilling straight down verses into the side of the cooker though? But still a good idea and another possibility.

-=Jasen=-

Finished!

Ok, had a cold front move in this evening and it got down to 92. So I could not stand waiting any longer and went with the pin idea. Works great and very easy to do. Just took a 5/16 masonry bit and drilled straight down. Then gently turned it sideways to slot it (it was going to bust out anyway, might as well make it look more controlled).

Anyway, here are the pics. Holds in place great! Won't even notice it after a couple of grilling sessions either!

-=Jasen=-

dscn1639mediumvr1.jpg

dscn1640mediumwj8.jpg

Jasen, you're an innovator. no question. My only concern is that you have just carved out a couple of notches in some pretty soft material. I admit I have not read all the posts concerning this mod.( I'm always one to turn to the ending of the story and then read the rest), did you somehow seal the new grooves in some way to avoid any crumbling over the years? Like maybe permanently fasten some sort of bushing if you will to rest the new shelf? DZ

Jasen' date=' you're an innovator. no question. My only concern is that you have just carved out a couple of notches in some pretty soft material. I admit I have not read all the posts concerning this mod.( I'm always one to turn to the ending of the story and then read the rest), did you somehow seal the new grooves in some way to avoid any crumbling over the years? Like maybe permanently fasten some sort of bushing if you will to rest the new shelf? DZ[/quote']

I used to think this was some soft material based on hitting it a couple of times with the main grill grate while inserting it. But after drilling it, I am here to tell you it is not as soft as you think. It definitely required a masonry bit. Now that said, there is no more reason for this crumbling than the lip you drop the main grill in on all the time. It will also naturally seal just like the rest of the inside of my grill with smoke and grease. There may be a chip or two here and there, but that is already the case other places in the grill. Naturally I am not recommending to anyone that they drill into their grill, but these little notches are hardly reason for concern......time will tell..hehe!

I seasoned the grill tonight and plan on giving it a good test out this week!

-=Jasen=-

One more thought. Was reading Firemonkey's suggestion about the hole in the side again and thought this would really be cool if you had a spring loaded pin on one side. Have a fixed pin on one side that slides into the hole, then have a spring loaded pin on the other side (or at least a movable one that locks into place). After my experience today, I think drilling horizontal holes in the sides (1/2" deep) would be easier and less obvious.

Anyway, just more suggestions/ideas in case some manufacturer of grill accessories decides to make them...hehe.

-=Jasen=-

the dense hot face is very hard and durable.

I used to think this was some soft material based on hitting it a couple of times with the main grill grate while inserting it. But after drilling it, I am here to tell you it is not as soft as you think. It definitely required a masonry bit.

-=Jasen=-

Let me be the first to say that the hot face material what I usually refer to as the dense material is very hard and durable. It gets even stronger after it's been over 800º. It will never get crumbly.. What gives you the illusion of being soft is the white cosmetic, plaster like material.

;);)