bobvoeh

Thread mismatch on gas burner - line?

I have this gas hose which has 1/4" MNPTx 3/8" FNPT ends on it. The 1/4 male end goes into the regulator and the 3/8" FNPT is what I'm trying to connect to the gas burner from Dennis. To my eye, they look like they would fit, it even starts to thread in, but gets tight real quick (not even one full turn) which looks like they are not threaded the same. What threads does the burner have so I can just get an adapter.

Thanks,

Bob.

Edit: To save a lot of reading, the fitting that came with the burner and the end of the Bayou Classic hose I got from amazon just did not have their threads cut the same. I went to Home Depot and picked up a $2 3/8" Flared Female/Male fitting and put it between the hose and the Burner valve. Problem Solved.

Just because I like to tinker, I also put a 90 degree elbow on it as well, now the hose comes down off the back of the KK. I'll post pictures after I loctite everything together.

Thanks for all the help.

Re: Thread mismatch on gas burner - line?

I have this gas hose which has 1/4" MNPTx 3/8" FNPT ends on it. The 1/4 male end goes into the regulator and the 3/8" FNPT is what I'm trying to connect to the gas burner from Dennis. To my eye, they look like they would fit, it even starts to thread in, but gets tight real quick (not even one full turn) which looks like they are not threaded the same. What threads does the burner have so I can just get an adapter.

Thanks,

Bob.

Unless Dennis has changed something, the end coming out of his valve should be a 3/8 male flared connection. The link you sent is listing two different connections for the same end. At the top, it calls the 3/8" end FNPT which is female national pipe thread or taper (depending on who you ask) and in the bottom description it says there is a 3/8 female flare connection. Look in the 3/8 end of your hose and see if there is a steep taper in the bottom (like pic below). If so, snap a pic of the end on the KK valve. If the bottom is flat, then you will either have to change out Dennis' fitting or get a new hose.

-=Jasen=-

ga22b8f2dc8ov3.jpg

Does the male end on your valve look like this?

0893017123932b90509dvd0.jpg

National Pipe Thread is flat on the ends.

e97a002c229a8d745dcdbc7oa2.jpg

I agree, looks like you have the correct connector.

-=Jasen=-

I even tried using 2 wrenches, one on the end of the hose, one on Dennis' connector, it will only thread so far so I stop so I don't damage them. I'll contact Dennis to see what he says.

Thanks for your help.

Bob.

Argh...

It is entirely possible that the machine shop here changed something which is causing your problem. I thought we finally had a good shop..

I've sent someone off to ACE hardware to buy a new hose to compare..

I have not had a mismatch reported for months so I'm hoping it's a fluke.

I have new valves in stock in CA and will fire one of to you.

Last thing I want is for you to stop cookin' and postin'

;);)

Fetzer - You're just too funny

Bobvoeh wrote:

looks like they are not threaded the same

Fetzervalve wrote:

You must have thread problems.

Fetzer, I just can't pass this one up! I think you're on to something ........ hehe

I knew I'd get a chance to return the love; I remember receiving the love when I answered a 2 year old post!! Duh. hehe

Got to have a little fun. hehe-he

Found a work around

Went to home depot and played with their fittings for a little while. It seems that their 3/8" Male Flare fitting fits into my hose just fine. It also seems that their 3/8" Female Flare fitting fits Dennis' fitting just fine. Looking carefully at all these fittings, it looks to me that the threads on my hose as well as the threads on the Watts brand fittings at home depot have deeper cuts than the fitting that came on the burner valve. So I'm thinking that the threads were not cut deep enough at the machine shop.

I went ahead and got a 3/8" Flare male/female adapter and a 1/8 mip/fip 90 degree elbow. I'll come out of the valve with the elbow, into Dennis 1/8 mip to 3/8" Flare fitting, into my 3/8" M/F adapter then into the hose. All fits together well. I'll apply some loctite and give it a try tonight

Sorry for the pic quality, damn camera phone.

Here are the pieces

aV1y91x0.jpg

Here is the finished item

aV1y9419.jpg

This will come out of the burner at at 90 degree downward angle.

Bob, not sure about Lowes, but 1/8"Male NPT to 3/8" flare fitting are available and would save you several connections (they even make them in a 90 degree) and reduce the strain on that fragile valve joint.

Do yourself a favor, be very, very careful threading that into the valve. The valve opening is much more shallow than a normal pipe thread fitting. If you had a fitting with a matching shallow thread and a shoulder, the joint would be strong. Use some Loctite and do not over tighten as those threads will pull out super easy (trust me). viewtopic.php?t=1515

-=Jasen=-

Bob, not sure about Lowes, but 1/8"Male NPT to 3/8" flare fitting are available and would save you several connections (they even make them in a 90 degree) and reduce the strain on that fragile valve joint.

Do yourself a favor, be very, very careful threading that into the valve. The valve opening is much more shallow than a normal pipe thread fitting. If you had a fitting with a matching shallow thread and a shoulder, the joint would be strong. Use some Loctite and do not over tighten as those threads will pull out super easy (trust me). viewtopic.php?t=1515

-=Jasen=-

Yea, I got some loctite to use once I see if this is how I want it. Any tricks on getting the flame to come blue? I have a 0 to 30 psi regulator and even at its lowest setting, I still seem to have too much orange. Even played with that thumbwheel on the burner. Drilling out the jet? Not sure if I want to go there yet.

-=Jasen=-

Yea, I got some loctite to use once I see if this is how I want it. Any tricks on getting the flame to come blue? I have a 0 to 30 psi regulator and even at its lowest setting, I still seem to have too much orange. Even played with that thumbwheel on the burner. Drilling out the jet? Not sure if I want to go there yet.

I will find you the thread where I have more info on burner jet orifice sizes. But right off, I already see your problem. You are running a high pressure regulator on a low pressure burner. That burner is rated around 20K BTU at low pressure (something like 11" water column). Memory fails me, but somewhere around 27.something is equal to 1 PSI so that should give you an idea how much more pressure you are using. Now that being said, you could fill in your orifice with solder and redrill it to a smaller size. People tend to get this backwards, but the higher the pressure, the smaller the jet orifice and vice versa.

BTW, you really don't need the thumbwheel.

-=Jasen=-

Here is the post with drill size charts! viewtopic.php?p=5623#5623

-=Jasen=-

So just to make sure I'm understanding this chart right, if that is a 20k burner, and I'm pushing an adjustable psi of 0 to 30, if I use a #73 drill and adjust my psi to 10, I should be about right on? Just trying to get a handle on this.

If that is true, that hole would be smaller than the one currently in the jet correct? Should I just get a new 1/8" plug and drill it with that sized drill?

Thanks for your help. Pretty soon, I'll be as good as Hank Hill.

The other approach would be to simply get a replacement gas barbecue regulator at Lowes or Home Despot. About five bucks' date=' and the one that the burner is designed for.[/quote']

Well, I guess I could do that. But that would be the right thing to do. Kind of goes against my nature :blob6: I'm kind of like a "Tim Taylor" without the trips to the hospital. I'm gonna pick up a few of the 1/8" plugs at Home Depot tomorrow and experiment with different hole sizes to see what gives me the heat I'm looking for. I'd like to have a good clean flame that gets the KK to around 600 - 700 Degrees. I know I can do that with lump, but I'd like to try pizza on gas to see how it tastes compared to pizza on lump if that makes any sense.

But as a backout plan, a low pressure regulator is now on my list, thanks. :)

I can get mine to around 600 with the proper low pressure regulator.

I forgot Dennis went with my plug method for the jet, so yeah, grab a new one and drill it if that is your preference. Understand this though, if you mess up with high pressure there is way more gas building up in an enclosed rocket ship! Several people here have done it, but there is a reason high pressure burners are generally not enclosed!

nuke.gif

So needles to say I also recommend the low pressure. You can go to your local LP gas service dealer and get an adjustable low pressure regulator and the proper pipe to flare fittings.

-=Jasen=-

I can get mine to around 600 with the proper low pressure regulator.

I forgot Dennis went with my plug method for the jet, so yeah, grab a new one and drill it if that is your preference. Understand this though, if you mess up with high pressure there is way more gas building up in an enclosed rocket ship! Several people here have done it, but there is a reason high pressure burners are generally not enclosed!

nuke.gif

So needles to say I also recommend the low pressure. You can go to your local LP gas service dealer and get an adjustable low pressure regulator and the proper pipe to flare fittings.

-=Jasen=-

Completely understood, thanks !!!

disclaimer?

And now for the fine print... :evil3:

The statements made on this thread regarding modification of anything are not those of the owner of the company, or any of the innocent bystanders on the forum!

lol

So, if you or anyone else blows up, we didn't do it or advocate it! :priest: