Roland-B

wireless thermometer

I have a Maverick that has been a good one. Some folks had bad luck with them and some good....take your pick. Pretty much any of those cheap remote thermometers are made with thermistors and you get what you pay for....cheap....luck of the draw.

If you already bought 3, your probably close to what a Guru DigiQII would have cost. They use thermocouples and are made nicely. Though you cannot remotely monitor unless you move to the much more expensive Guru Procom. But really since the grill is automatically controlling, you really don't need the remote indication. Or you could look into the Stoker if your a wireless geek.

Anyway, it just depends on how much you want to invest for quality.

-=Jasen=-

Hi Deej, I'm getting the ET-73 , as you said luck of the draw some posts rave about it others think it's a POS...

Did you hear anyhting about a procomm upgrade I'm considering getting the new Digi II (as I need a new gadget/my competitor is still going strong) but would potentially hold if they upgraded the procomm??

Kerville

Hi Doc, we went to Kerville last year for an RV rally, stayed at Buckhorn Resort for a week.

Wouldn't have known where it was until then. The hill country is interesting indeed.

Nice fish BTW.

Had some BBQ there in town out past the WallyWorld, neat old fashioned bbq joint. Not Komodo worthy tho!

Wow, what a difference in cooking outcomes using a thermometer! I set the grill temp with the vents on my Meco Swinger grill, stick the food probe in the meat and... Voila, perfectly done meats. Plus with the wireless transmission from the Maverick, I don't have to stand there at the grill nor open it except once to turn the meat. If you are like me waiting to get a KK, at least use a good thermometer to maximize what you've got. There are any number of web sites that have temperature charts for the diferent meats and degrees of doneness. Mine came from the old Meco website, now superseded. Use a thermometer!

found a good one?

The Maverick ET-73 works OK, as long as it's fairly close to the transmitter. I went to bed last night with the receiver on the nightstand and had a reading, woke up at one point and found the display was just a set of dashes. The bedroom is just a smidge too far, and that's EXACTLY where one needs a remote to be most reliable. Anybody found a really good wireless thermometer? How about the Oregon Scientific AW 131? The Stoker is useless if you can't go to bed while cooking and have a reliable remote alarm.

Have a laptop? If so the Stoker may be the best since you can go to sleep with StokerLog running and have your laptop play whatever sound file you want. And the range is a long as you want it to be - you can even go out to Starbucks and grab a coffee and still have access to the alarm :) I have StokerLog running in my living room well over 100' away from the cooker with several walls in between - the Maverick isn't all that useful once I hit the kitchen.

brick wall

I've got a laptop, but trying to figure out how to network the Stoker has me stumped. And that's why I got it! The guy at Rock's said no problem using the Stoker with an Airport Express for a wireless network connection. But trying to read their network instructions is just mind numbing. Apparently you can connect it to your home network either with or without internet connectivity, and the setup is different for each. I don't know a DHCP from a TCP from an ICBM. I guess I'll have to spend a month learning all about computer networking, from scratch, before I can hook this damn thing up. And I have studiously been avoiding becoming network savvy because I really don't care about it. They say the Stoker works fine with Macs, but not Stokerlog.

I am using cheapo Taylors that were closeout deep discount store specials about 4 yrs ago.

Threading the antenna outside of the box seriously

boosted the range.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread that inspired me.

dub(cheaper has been better for me)

possible solution

I am in contact with Randy Owen, the president of Thermoworks, makers of the Thermapen, discussing some of the shortcomings of the available wireless thermometers. He has indicated a willingness to develop a wireless transmiting thermometer of high quality and dependability. His concern is the price point. What are we willing to pay for reliable temp probes and dependable, long range wireless transmission? The higher the price the market will bear, the better product we can get. He needs some assurance of a market before beginning production. I will be posting this survey in a multitude of forums, so PLEASE reply to me in email so I can find all replies in one location. You may also post replies to the forums for discussion purposes, but I may not see all of those. The question is: What is the maximum price you would be willing to pay for a wireless transmitting thermometer with a grill temp probe and a meat temp probe, with reliable probes and excellent wireless range? The projected probe life is five to ten times that of current units like the Maverick, Polder, Oregon Scientific, AccuRite, etc.; and the unit will be all weather.

Email replies to: [email protected]

I will keep you posted as I continue communications with Mr. Owen

Michael Guerra,M.D.

Kerrville, TX