bobvoeh

Happy Campers

Where do I start? Well, I've been cooking on a gasser for almost 20 years and finally gave in to my friends. They are a couple of BGE owners and have been telling me how well ceramics cook. I started shopping around looking at eggs, primos, etc... I finally found the other manufacturer and started reading up on Kamado cookers. Luckily i found another site detailing why i should not use that other manufacturer. I had already browsed Dennis' site while doing my reading, but now I was determined to find out more. I joined this forum and I started to notice a repeated sense of respect towards both Dennis and the Komodos he builds. I had recently received a nice bonus at work so my better half gave me the ok to replace the old gasser. I decided to take the plunge and started communicating with Dennis about a Black 027 OTB Gen II Ultimate. He was very responsive in replying to my emails and we have even spoken on the phone. In my line of work, I have to frequently call for customer service on computer and networking products. Let me tell you, I can't get that kind of attention from a Customer Service Dept let alone the owner of a company. Dennis happened to have the exact Komodo I was looking for about 90% completed in Surabaya and said it would be ready to ship in about a week. It would take 24 days on the water and then finally about a week on land to get to Florida. He was about 1 day off in his estimate and that was due to the trucking company, not him. They did not have a delivery in my area that next day so they held it one more day, no biggie. Now the good stuff. I use my Komodokamado no less than 2 times per week, more often 3 or 4 times per week. My kids, I love them to death, are the pickiest eaters in the world. They usually give that spoiled grimace when you tell them whats for dinner, except now when I tell them its something off of the Komodo i get screams (these screams were usually reserved to pizza). My wife was the biggest pessimist about this purchase. I think her response was "You paid $4000 to a guy in Indonesia? So where is your grill?". I think I got that about twice a week. Poor Dennis, i kept having to ask him about the delivery once it was in Los Angeles to find out if it had cleared customs, but the man answered me everytime. Dennis is a class act. If anyone has any reservations about sending that kind of cash to someone overseas without even seeing the physical product, I can fully understand it. However, you can rest assured that you will be taken care of. You will get a product that is as beautiful as it is functional. I have to keep reminding myself that it is not a grill as it does so much more. I have not turned on the oven in my house since I received the Komodo. I was really taken aback when my better half came up to me last week and said that we should make some pulled pork on my new grill and take it to her brothers house for the 4th of July. That was what I term, "Final Acceptance". It is now part of the family.

Excellent

I have to agree what a great read. I just ordered mine.... Same basic scenario as yours... Dennis has been very responsive. My wife has given me the same...... hmmm what do I call it....... skepticism........ I am optimistic that my story will end as yours. Have a great weekend.

Tim

Re: Excellent

I have to agree what a great read. I just ordered mine.... Same basic scenario as yours... Dennis has been very responsive. My wife has given me the same...... hmmm what do I call it....... skepticism........ I am optimistic that my story will end as yours. Have a great weekend.

Tim

Skepticism, that is actually a better word for it. I could have used that to describe it as well. Thanks, and I'm sure yours will end as well as mine did. Enjoy the cooking !!!