LarryR

Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup Brined Turkey

We're starting to plan for Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday of the year) and I can't wait to do the bird on the ceramic. Here's one of my favorite brines. Thought I'd share with PICTURES of course. I did her last year on my WSM.

Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Turkey

Container large enough to brine your turkey in (a 5 gallon food grade container works well for large birds)

2 cups maple syrup

1 cup bourbon

1 tablespoon pickling spice

Remainder of container filled with salt water mixture with ½ cup table salt per gallon of water (you can also add apples oranges etc.)

Ice can be added to brine to insure safe temperatures

Brine in refrigerator for 24 hours, rinse bird and allow to air dry in the refrigerator overnight

Season cavity, place carrots, celery, pierced lemon and anything else you desire in cavity.

Butter and season skin

Smoke or grill to 165 Breast/175 Thigh, cherry or other fruit wood recommended

Be sure to use a drip pan below your bird to capture all the "goodness" for your gravy.

Note: I ice down the breast for approximately 45 minutes prior to cooking. This helps the breast and thigh come to temp. at the same time. Ziplock bags of ice work well.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of the end product.

Only thing I might suggest is using a food grade bucket from Smart and Final or if yu can find one from a restaurant or food manufacturer that buys a lot in 5 gal buckets. For instance we used to get buckets from Ice cream factories.

Better yet, I will sell you 5 gallons of olive oil and you will have a food grade bucket. :eek::lol:

Only thing I might suggest is using a food grade bucket from Smart and Final or if yu can find one from a restaurant or food manufacturer that buys a lot in 5 gal buckets. For instance we used to get buckets from Ice cream factories.

You know, that's the one thing I tell myself I need to get every year and then at the last minute I realized I didn't pick one up and end-up sanitizing the "Homer's Bucket." I edited the post reflecting the suggestion.

Re: Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup Brined Turkey

Cooking a 13.8 lb. maple/bourbon brined turkey for Easter. Have been reading all the posts, figuring on 3-4 hours at 325. Does that seem about righ. Also, am cooking 2 small pork tenderloins from "La Boucherie" that will take 1 hour at 375, according to package directions. My question is should I put the turkey in the cooler wrapped up while I bring the kk up to 375 and cook the tenderloins for an hour?????? I feel like it would be too long to,just have the turkey sit on the counter wrapped in foil. Suggestions?

Been away for awhile dealing with some health issues, haven't used my KK in months. Taking the cover off for Thanksgiving and this recipe. Got a 19 lb bird bathing in maple syrup and Jim Beam as I type.  Going to use me go to wood for this cook, cherry.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe T-Day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

The good news, LarryR, is that you are back and sounds like you plan on cooing up a storm. :) :smt023 :smt023

7 hours ago, tinyfish said:

Glad your cooking again. 

Thanks guys, got my coffee and Bailey's going this a.m., laying out my cook. Can't decide if I'm going lump or ECC, probably ECC. Looking forward to doing the cook today and many more. Still have a couple videos to make that people have asked for e.g. pizza. Hoping to do more cooking this winter.

• Like 1