primeats

Temperature probe wires

Re: Temperature probe wires

Well' date=' I've finally done it... I melted the temperature probe wires on the unit that I bought from Tlinder! Any suggestions on a repair or should I just order a replacement from Fred?[/quote']

Which unit do you have? Provided it is not the pitminder, they sell replacement probes (the new SS jacketed ones) for all their other units. If it is the Pitminder, they at least sell the old style probes. Or you could just order you a new DigiQII, they come with the SS jacketed probe wire!

Don't bother trying to repair. Every joint made in the wiring will changes the temperature reading unless it is compensated for in the internal circuit (cold junction compensation).

-=Jasen=-

Maverick

For y'all using a Maverick, a question. The food probe is bent so I can't get it through the little hole in the side of the KK. The pit probe goes through of course, being straight. So I'm just running the food probe wire across the gasket. Anybody have a better solution, or has anyone bent the food probe straight? Wonder if bending it might ruin it or break it.

I bent my Maverick probes straight without any ill effect (actually they're not straight but they're straight enough to fit through the hole). Just use a gentle but firm pressure. If you happen to break one you can just buy a new probe without needing to replace the entire system. Never fear, the Stoker probes are straight out of the box and work much better. :)

Like Jeff, I bent the food probe a bit allowing it to pass through the sleeve. However, I usually just run the food probe wire over the lip so that I can remove the meat from the grill without first removing the probe. I prefer to remove the probe from the meat after it has rested.

What about the other end of the probe wire, that connects to the device.

Will the probe wire "connector end" fit through the KK hole? Versus the probe itself. If so, thread the wire (connector end) from inside KK out, then connect to device. This way wouldn't require removing the probe from meat.