LarryR

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

I hope Chris doesn't mind me posting this. I've done this many times with excellent results.

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

For the pork shoulder rub

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/3 cup garlic salt

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon oregano leaves

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon black pepper

-----------

Pork injection

3/4 cup apple juice

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup salt

2 tablespoons Worcestershire

------------

1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)

1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.

Pork Butt

I bought Chris Lilly's book, and it was such an enjoyable read. He really brought through his writing the "feeling" that people must get when they visit the restaurants and take part in the history of this famous BBQ mecca.

The pork butt recipe - please people, if you BBQ only one more thing on your Komodo this year, you must do this recipe! It is the single best thing I have done on mine so far! In fact, since trying this recipe, I have been doing a pork shoulder every week for the last month - we have done pork enchiladas, pork sandwiches with white BBQ sauce (recipe also in the book), pork tacos, etc. The meat is very versatile! It some of the best food I have had in a while, and for 20 bucks for the meat, you can feed your family for a week!

Also on your must - do list - mix up a batch of the white BBQ sauce. I am from Texas where everything is red, so I am walking on the "dark side " :) , but the white sauce it so different and it is absolutely wonderful!

It was worth the 25 bucks for the book just to get these legendary recipes for both of these items - the pulled pork and the white sauce. I know I will be making both from now on out!

Re: Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

What is the "cook's" etiquette for this? If I publish these recipes' date=' do I still need to name the original author?[/quote']

I'd go by what one sees in cookbooks. Cookbook authors "adapt" from each other like crazy, often with attribution. One doesn't know how often permission is sought in advance.

If the recipe is paraphrased and modified, it's probably yours, the rules don't appear to be as tight as a song (less money at stake), but it is still very helpful to both your audience and your sources to cite sources. If you want to be sure, the US is one of few countries in the world with a recipe tradition that doesn't use weights for measure. "Add value" by converting measurements to grams, and assume your audience has a digital scale? Now you're actually saying what you mean by a medium apple, and so forth.

In practice, any advertising is good for business. If a book has one great recipe, it probably has a second, and I want it.

A little help guys on the Boston Butt cook

I'm a new KK owner in the past few weeks. Im having a problem with temp control. I'm using the KK with a Party Q. I followed a recipe from this forum last night: 15lb pork shoulder with Chris Lilly rub. Full basket of the Coco Char. Lit the basket with 10 briquets of Kingsford I'm trying to use up. Opened top cap 1/2 turn from full closed. Set the Party Q for 220. Closed the grill and let the party Q bring it up to 220 in about an hour. Put the Butt on and reset the Party Q for 225. Closed the top cap down an 1/8 of a turn (so now open 3/8 of a turn). Had a beer and went to bed:)

Got up this morning to check. 9 hours elapsed. Grill temp almost 300 (at meat level, using a good thermo-couple thermometer). Meat temp 190. Meat looking beautiful, ready to fall apart. Pulled Butt off, wrapped in foil, now resting in cooler for later today.

Is keeping the temp down just a matter of closing down the top cap on the KK even more? It feels like the top cap gasket is touching at 3/8 turn. I'm trying to maintain that 225 degree temp for a longer period.

I've had the issue the last three cooks (Butt, ribs, butt). Temp seems to creep up.

Oh, and any advice on how long meat can rest in the cooler before it becomes unsafe? Meat came off at 7:30 am. People coming over for Q at 3:00pm. I'd appreciate some help from you guys.

Thanks!

Re: Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

For a low and slow just crack the top vent so that a little smoke comes out with the blower off and only a little bit more when the blower is on. Barely cracked open. If you open it more, it will inevitably get 300 plus. Even so, a pork butt cook at 300 comes out perfect. Absolute temperature control is unnecessary for a low and slow, anywhere between 200 and 300 will do. I remember my first pork butt I freaked when the temp got up to 240! 225 is NOT a magic number, don't sweat it.

My personal view of holding meat is at odds with food safety guidelines. When the meat is finished (at 165 or higher) it should be sterile. If you remove the meat with clean, uncontaminated gloves or implements you will not inoculate it with bacteria. If you immediately place it, uncontaminated, onto clean foil and wrap it up, there should be almost no bacterial load applied. I will hold meat like this, wrapped in towels in a cooler, for as long as 24 hours. It will actually stay quite hot, above 140, for a LONG time this way. Especially if you use a Yeti or Frigid Rigid, and pack all the air space out with toweling. I think if you finish your meat the same day you serve it, and handle it as I have described, there is almost no risk, even if it drops below 140, which it probably won't on a same day service.

This does NOT comport with food safety guidelines; it is what I do, based on my reasoning. But almost all my cooks finish on the same day as served and in the Yeti they stay HOT! Only rarely does my meat fall below 140 prior to service, and in those instances I don't care or worry about it. If you wish to follow the guidelines, don't allow it to fall below 140.