LarryR

Using ECC in a non Ceramic Smoker

I have two birds to do this Thanksgiving, one in my ceramic and one in my Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM). I've done several 225 - 325 cooks using the ECC in my Ceramic and LOVE IT! However, the WSM isn't as well insulated as the Ceramic so I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to use it in the WSM. I have trouble maintaining 325 in my WSM when using Rancher Natural Charcoal with all bottom vents open and have even had to prop open the door to maintain them so I'm thinking I'd definitly have an issue with the ECC . . . but I'm not sure. Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance . . .

Hi Larry.....my first thought is to try a blend. My second thought is I never used a weber and I don't really know! ;) I haven't used any ECC yet either.

I have mixed the POSKoal (extruded) that was full of filler with lump before to stretch the lump and use up the junk from the Johnsons.

Thanks for the replies. I do have some RO Lump that I could mix in there to get things going. I just don't know if the ECC will burn hot enough to maintain 325 for 4 - 5 hours. Maybe lay a layer of ECC down and then throw a chimney full of lit lump on top and then assemble the cooker . . .

Larry, I've used ECC to sear steaks. I wouldn't worry. It gets hot!! Make sure you put plenty in if you're concerned, but I don't think 4-5 hours would be asking too much from a full load of coal. WSM should be able to shut down tight enough after the cook to save what ever coal you haven't used.

You also might consider stacking the ECC like little chimneys. That will help with the air flow; more air more hot.

Good luck.

This is Good Stuff

I have not had the chance to use the ECC before today. I had a group of 18 over and one of the ladies wanted to cook kabobs from Fresh Market. I cleaned out and then loaded my Medium BGE with ECC - just two rows. She had wanted to cook at 1:30 PM so I lit it up at one and steadied the temp at 450. 5 1/2 hours later it was still rock solid at 450. Lots of charcoal left, it could have gone six more hours easily at that temp. Sorry no pictures (boy, am I sorry), my Nikon D70 picked this past weekend to die. Now, in the middle of Christmas season, I need to find the funds to buy a new D90.

PS - Fresh Market has wonderful kabobs both chicken and steak. You cannot do better at home.