DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Thanks everyone. I’d love to have them gone.

On another note...I purchased my first rib cap and picanha. I need help on the rib cap. Ideas on how to cook? I was told to trim the fat and then roll them up and possibly smoke it. Thoughts??? Ideas??? How much should I trim fat? f727737aabf4406d6630fb96fe855ece.jpg95eaf0a390f5b65d82d73c04b54c6451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve read so much about how great the cap is. I wasn’t familiar with the cut as I’ve never ordered it before. Apparently I got a crappy cut from a very high end butcher. I trimmed off over three pounds of fat which I wasn’t too happy to pay for. Left me with 1.25 pounds of meat.
I then did a simple salting and high temp cook for a few minutes. Figured a great piece of meat from a fine single farm and butcher should be eaten rare or medium rare at most.
I cut the meat against the grain and when served the first thing my wife said “it’s pretty tough”. Ugh...I ended up spending about $70 a pound and would have been happier with a burger from a diner.
I’m going to go back this week and see if the butcher will do me right. I just think paying for 75% fat is a bit out of line. I didn’t see the butcher cut or wrap the meat as I was talking to the other butchers. I think she was less experienced as she wasn’t familiar with some of my requests. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Regardless, I might have to try the Costco ribcap cut next. I like to support sustainable farming practices though.
Rant over.362abbb64f2fb3aabede2e6abc8522b7.jpgb1ec42fd87805a65ffef369113a7b5cb.jpg2c88e564069e3793f70c5c00c308a0eb.jpg77fdca22cbf120ac429d6d7a99fae4be.jpg4392b8164fa14b8199e362344b4a56da.jpg

• Sad 1

On 4/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, MacKenzie said:

Now you know, the secret KK spice.emoji4.png

A couple hours of browsing their website, and a hundred dollars later, I've ordered ten different spices/blends including the necessary ingredient for the acclaimed purple crack. I'm probably going to be in trouble, and I'm going to blame y'all...  :shock::x My wife is in Vegas for company work this week, so I have until Thursday to find room for all these jars in my already woefully jammed spice cabinet - I'm going to need mad creativity to make this work.... Can't wait to try the crack!  Hmm, perhaps I should rephrase that?! :oops: 

Thanks @MacKenzie and @Pequod for the guidance! 

• Like 3

I just got a very thorough explanation from my local butcher. Took me into the cooler and showed me a slab. He said technically they gave me the ribcap. What every butcher should assume when someone asks for that is that you want the lifter. The actual cap he usually grinds up for burger as it is basically the part that attaches to the short rib.
I’m armed with knowledge and will stop in the store I purchased from later.

9 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

I just got a very thorough explanation from my local butcher. Took me into the cooler and showed me a slab. He said technically they gave me the ribcap. What every butcher should assume when someone asks for that is that you want the lifter. The actual cap he usually grinds up for burger as it is basically the part that attaches to the short rib.
I’m armed with knowledge and will stop in the store I purchased from later.

@sfdrew28 head north young man! I was pleased with the quality and price at the Sonoma Meat Company.

Also isn't the Golden Gate Meat Co. near you? Haven't been there but, I heard it's quality.

[mention=3133]sfdrew28[/mention] head north young man! I was pleased with the quality and price at the Sonoma Meat Company.
Also isn't the Golden Gate Meat Co. near you? Haven't been there but, I heard it's quality.

The golden gate meat is pretty close but it’s a huge pain to find parking around the ferry building.

Ok...ran quickly into the butcher and the girl who cut it was there. She thought my request was odd but she cut it anyway. She agreed regardless there was way too much fat. The manager will call me tomorrow and make it right.
She said she included the lifter and can separate it next time.
I didn’t get an ill will vibe from her and I didn’t push why she put so much fat. Just let it go as life’s too short.
I’m now more educated.
Thanks for all the comments.

• Like 3

Finally did our first pizza cook yesterday.  A plain margarita.  We both loved it.  Didn't love, quite as much, the follow on four cheese pizza that I managed to burn but hey, that is part of learning!  Happily there is one ball of dough left over and I can try again tonight.  Made it on the 21" and the pizza size was just fine for us.  

Grateful for critical feedback if there is something I should have done differently.  I heat soaked the KK for an hour to 550F then put the stone in.  Waited for the stone to reach about 450F and then put the first pizza on.  Could I have just put the stone in from the start?  

lrpe4X8sT6m3fUAY3ngyJg.thumb.jpg.e8d01f005a4900ea1b0957e004b533da.jpg

5acb11b620600_gi1odYQORuOJXZc5cGOA.thumb.jpg.ba0a5b6a381f8949ff5b41d941948b60.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Good looking pies. Like McKenzie, I put my stone in once the fire is going well. I got my stone up to about 700 last time but I think I’m going back to 500-600 for consistencies sake.

I'm with you on that. I like a stone temp at 550 and dome at 650-700. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

I got my stone up to about 700 last time but I think I’m going back to 500-600 for consistencies sake.

28 minutes ago, amusedtodeath said:

I'm with you on that. I like a stone temp at 550 and dome at 650-700. 

That is helpful to know.  What sort of time do you leave your pizzas on the stone for?  I had stone temp at 450F and dome temp at 700F by the time I got to the second pizza.  The top got way too crispy by the time I had left it in for six minutes and I still had the softer cheeses to add.  I like thin crust pizzas so I reckon I need to cut the time if I don't want crunchy crust pizzas.  

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Seeing your pizza has pushed me into starting some dough.;) 

Pleased to be of help. :-o  I hadn't made dough of any sort for quite a few years and was a bit apprehensive yesterday.  The Ken Forkish Enzo recipe worked out just fine as did his You Tube video of how to shape the pizza.  Thanks for your tips @MacKenzie.  Still looking to worship at @ckreef's expert altar, particularly if he has any new tips.  No rush though, I am now committed to making pizza at least every fortnight now I know how good it is. 

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

That is helpful to know.  What sort of time do you leave your pizzas on the stone for?  I had stone temp at 450F and dome temp at 700F by the time I got to the second pizza.  The top got way too crispy by the time I had left it in for six minutes and I still had the softer cheeses to add.  I like thin crust pizzas so I reckon I need to cut the time if I don't want crunchy crust pizzas.  

Depending on the thinness/thickness of the crust, and amount of toppings, mine usually go from a minimum of ninety seconds(margherita), to about four minutes maximum. I don't think I remember more than four minutes except for a truly deep dish pie. 

• Thanks 1

I like any type of pizza including carrot pizza but I tend to put a lot of toppings on mine and like my KK to be no hotter than 550F and the stone higher than 450F, probably more like 500F.  I am doing one this evening but it is sooo cold and windy outside that I'll probably use the kitchen oven. :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1