DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

5 minutes ago, jonj said:

Wow! What is the rest of the dish?

Lots of stuff!  The green splashes were parsley and oregano, the base was deep fried cubed potatoes rolled in aioli and white crab meat and more parsley, the red sauce was a paprika ketchup and it was all topped with a raw egg yolk that was blasted with a brulee torch.  Most of the dish was prepared earlier in the day so the main work was getting the potatoes fried and the scallops cooked.  

This was an example of a risky night.  We were hosting a birthday meal for a couple who are our close friends and I asked them to invite four more people of their choice.  There was every chance of crashing and burning given the next course included hanger steak (not typically seen as a special occasion cut here), raw oyster mayonnaise and deep fried oysters.  I made espresso panna cotta for dessert - simple back up that would soothe anyone who had hated the previous two courses.  Happily they loved it all and one 58 year old confessed to enjoying oysters for the first time in her life.  So my feeling rubbish today can really only be blamed on the amount of wine I drank.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, tekobo said:

Awesome pizza cook @Drew.  I am going to get back to trying out the Ken Forkish doughs now that I have got my yeast quantity and measures right. I also watched a programme about Nancy Silverton in LA and subsequently bought her book, Mozza.  Her pizza recipe is quite involved but I plan to try it to see how it compares.  I'm loving home made pizza on the KK.  A world away from store bought domestic oven versions!

Let me know if you think the book is worthwhile.  Nothing like throwing a wrench into my recipes after one successful cook. Lol 

tekobo- "I'm loving home made pizza on the KK.  A world away from store bought domestic oven versions!"

I had the worst store bought pizza from a restaurant that is a pizza franchise. I wish I had taken pixs it was so awful, in fact it was so bad that I thought I should make a pizza take it in and show them what it is supposed to look like.  :pukeright:   :pukeright:

• Haha 3

My boss came down to the local office the other day. Asked a coworker if she made homemade pizza. Then proceeded to tell her about this "really good" frozen pizza you cook "homemade" in your oven. I just laughed to myself and walked away. 

Most of the world is clueless. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Started with just enough hot water to dissolve salt and sugar, added ice to chill, then added a quart of buttermilk along with a couple packages of drumsticks and let them brine for 24 hours. Used a new little toy to hang them on the main grate at 225-235 until 170 internal. Used a small cube of "mapple" for light smoke. Served along with fresh broccoli seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon, parmesan and of course, purple crack. Also field peas. 

A542698E-D4C8-425F-96A1-ACE0B0262EE8.thumb.jpeg.2877b41a9b94cb1c4b5639981df70dd9.jpeg

17F8D8AA-5544-49D5-BB35-73622039CB0E.thumb.jpeg.67a5acfe1c7013df831fa8541b0f3b64.jpeg

680580A4-A8AA-47B9-A5A0-0D6BED5B15A0.thumb.jpeg.a613e6a079e26c71f52dee5f01b7e7bf.jpeg

C3911BFF-759D-4C77-8F40-E4650F243702.thumb.jpeg.da4bb9564f44099c50a5d91e92949c09.jpeg

DE9F6B61-076C-4FF3-B97C-33681FEDCA4B.thumb.jpeg.e22a722a8476be776d40d804e6f7a54e.jpeg

E65D317F-2605-496D-A8C4-F003CE94FC41.thumb.jpeg.66980c9fb967d15d7df1be58728d4f8f.jpeg

• Like 7

Did two pork butts yesterday.  One for me and one to send the nanny home happy. Used salt free dizzy dust and then made tacos with the pulled pork, hot pepper vinegar sauce , and avacado mayo slaw.  Home made half sour pickles on the side. 

2D4BA37A-242C-4712-8514-09FB3EF995C2.jpeg

84DD7E42-F1C6-4BF4-BB02-92A6D79EB58C.jpeg

12D4FB47-3C81-4E31-B456-538F81453CAA.jpeg

03D7F16F-17ED-441C-ABEC-28E69EFF6461.jpeg

B69DD510-C816-49B6-BDF4-9517A36B7D02.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tony b said:

@amusedtodeath - in the table setting pic, is that a hen house down the hill? Is that where those chicken legs came from??

Yes, that is a hen house - sans hens...:)  We are maintaining it so when my wife retires she can carry through with her threats of getting some chickens for it... That is all on her...! We have a neighbor behind us that does have birds, and he brings us fresh eggs from time to time... I'm afraid those drumsticks are from Kroger...:oops:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Interesting use of the cold smoker, too. I've never used it on a regular cook like that. 

Tony, I use it for any cook where I’m smoking for a while.  If it something short like a chicken or chop I just throw a chunk on the coals. What do you do otherwise?

On 5/14/2018 at 11:35 PM, Drew said:

Let me know if you think the book is worthwhile.  Nothing like throwing a wrench into my recipes after one successful cook. Lol 

Tell me about it!  I won't be trying the Mozza recipe for a few weeks yet.  I need to re-visit the Ken Forkish Enzo and 48hr doughs first to see if I can make them reliably.  I may also want to go back to @Pequod's Chicago South Side for a bit of yummy reassurance before I launch myself on the Mozza recipe and @ckreef's latest.  So much food, so little time!

On 5/15/2018 at 12:03 AM, MacKenzie said:

I had the worst store bought pizza from a restaurant that is a pizza franchise. I wish I had taken pixs it was so awful, in fact it was so bad that I thought I should make a pizza take it in and show them what it is supposed to look like.  :pukeright:   :pukeright:

That's so funny @MacKenzie.  You know what that has taught you don't you?  Eat pizza at home!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

Started with just enough hot water to dissolve salt and sugar, added ice to chill, then added a quart of buttermilk along with a couple packages of drumsticks and let them brine for 24 hours. Used a new little toy to hang them on the main grate at 225-235 until 170 internal.

Great toy and great looking cook.  Of course, I want your drumstick hanging toy.  Where did you get it from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Great toy and great looking cook.  Of course, I want your drumstick hanging toy.  Where did you get it from?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXT4PA9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at a bunch of these and settled on this one. I like the locking legs and the option of using the drip tray if I wish to put veggies underneath or just use it for indirect cooking, but I've found I really like using it without the tray because I get so much better browning, almost like rotisserie. I've also hung leg quarters on it and they held fine, I think I preferred the quarters even more than just the drums, and as @MacKenzie says, it works for wings also. 

57EA41CC-3DD1-40C0-A903-2983F5967675.jpeg.90e0d0ec37326b8e879fa4ca9763df3f.jpeg

7C5FEF14-F6C2-4514-8E98-39AA4A8803B5.jpeg.ded8f209222d1f5c14bfe30d3270c867.jpeg

FF09C5A1-0011-4C23-AABA-DA5ED59B36FB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, amusedtodeath said:

I looked at a bunch of these and settled on this one. I like the locking legs and the option of using the drip tray if I wish to put veggies underneath or just use it for indirect cooking, but I've found I really like using it without the tray because I get so much better browning, almost like rotisserie. I've also hung leg quarters on it and they held fine, I think I preferred the quarters even more than just the drums, and as @MacKenzie says, it works for wings also. 

That looks good.  Potentially less hassle and more stable than threading the legs through skewers as I have done in the past.  Happily, there are a few different versions available in the UK.  Will look to see if they have locking legs like yours.  AND they do wings too.  Yippee.

• Like 1