DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

I finally got nice enough weather to fire up the KK and do a pizza that I'd planned several days ago. Sorry, it's purchased pizza dough, but I did make an uncooked tomato sauce for it. It's a 4 cheese blend - fontina, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan. Sliced cherry tomatoes dressed with a splash of balsamic vinegar (too early for any from my garden yet), but I did use the basil off my plants. 2 hour heatup/soak @ 475F with the pizza stone on the top grate. Parbaked the crust for 5 minutes, as the uncooked sauce is a bit waterier than a cooked one and didn't want soggy pizza. 

After the parbake and assembly.

1401553903_ChipmunkPizza002.thumb.jpg.d1f442cbc8a2a3f5e56b083ffabeb7d2.jpg

Almost done on the KK.

367693757_ChipmunkPizza003.thumb.jpg.131d8a7470e213b1137d5dc989583008.jpg

Up close and personal.

1961647976_ChipmunkPizza004.thumb.jpg.a7e3bba1f2f6f5531020e7e3879d865c.jpg

A couple more minutes and viola!

2087297132_ChipmunkPizza005.thumb.jpg.b1eaf55574f88fccea28d51ee27c331e.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 7

OK, my Donabe pot arrived today, so I had to give it a try. First, mine is glazed on the inside, so I didn't have to season it. Nice bonus. First pot of rice was a bit of a miss - had the heat too high and scorched the bottom of the rice in spots (not the yummy crust, black = burnt!). Tossed it out and started over, being careful not to get the heat too high this time. (btw - threw off dinner schedule by about 45 minutes in the "do over.") But, much better results the second time around. Nice fluffy individual grains of rice. I did plain water this time, but going forward, I'll revert to my standard of using stock. 

Here's a couple of pics - pot cooking on the stove and the finished rice. 

844997232_Donabepotonstove.thumb.jpg.8308321e52e7e15a2cd7d64c87126e75.jpg

2001677372_Donabepot-done.thumb.jpg.8728451ee9e55d6ce30691f8c4f8a461.jpg

I have to say that this was some very tasty rice, even plain. But, who am I to question a culture that's been cooking rice for several thousand years!

• Like 6

Spun a couple of chooks last night 

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.491f66021d35ffbc22b4143a57e6b443.JPG

6hrs of wet brining, half an orange and a couple of slices of butter in each cavity, then dusted with Kosmo's Q Dirty Bird :smt023, onto the charcoal+few chunks of Pecan & Mulberry

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.35b89597b4eff71679252c2fdb996edb.JPG

Yesterday was a good day, son and daughter both scored in their respective football codes.......oh yeh the chicken wasn't too bad either :smt033

• Like 9

Turned out superb Bruce. Been reading a lot about catching the drippings over the veggies be it chicken or beef, Julie usually does them in the kitchen oven and she commented how nice they turned out, so thats another one for the little black book and one less job for my darling wife. :banghead:

• Like 2

Spun a couple of chooks last night 
IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.491f66021d35ffbc22b4143a57e6b443.JPG
6hrs of wet brining, half an orange and a couple of slices of butter in each cavity, then dusted with Kosmo's Q Dirty Bird :smt023, onto the charcoal+few chunks of Pecan & Mulberry
IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.35b89597b4eff71679252c2fdb996edb.JPG
Yesterday was a good day, son and daughter both scored in their respective football codes.......oh yeh the chicken wasn't too bad either :smt033

Looking good mate

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

13 hours ago, jarraa said:

Pizza night again. Followed a couple of Nancy Silverton recipes.

Hi @jarraa, how did you find the Nancy Silverton dough?  I have bought the ingredients but have not got around to cooking from her book.  I loved the look of your meaty/porky pizza.  :tongue8:

@BonFire - nice spin! Looks like your veg pan is directly on the deflector grid, is that right? What temp did you run for this spin? Did the veg pan get charred a bit on the bottom? Curious about the parameters and results as I usually have my veg pan on the indirect side of my 23 splitter, but like the idea of running direct as you did.

• Like 1

It was actually sitting on one of the half deflector plates on top of what i think you call the deflector grid. I was going to post the question on how to go about it, was worried about the pan getting too hot hence the def. plate. Pre cooked only the potatoes in microwave for ten minutes. Had temp sitting around 370-390F for entire cook (1hr45mins) was using the Meater probe as well (impressed), did notice i used a fair bit of charcoal on that cook, it was i'd say 3/4 basket full with around half of it fresh charcoal.

I took the veggie pan and deflector out for the last 20mins (they were done) wanted to crisp up the skin a bit with some direct grilling, which you can do with this fabulous beast.

Veggie pan survived the test, but only because it was screened by the Def. plate.....and did i say the veggies we're the ducks nuts :smt023

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BonFire said:

It was actually sitting on one of the half deflector plates on top of what i think you call the deflector grid. I was going to post the question on how to go about it, was worried about the pan getting too hot hence the def. plate. Pre cooked only the potatoes in microwave for ten minutes. Had temp sitting around 370-390F for entire cook (1hr45mins) was using the Meater probe as well (impressed), did notice i used a fair bit of charcoal on that cook, it was i'd say 3/4 basket full with around half of it fresh charcoal.

I took the veggie pan and deflector out for the last 20mins (they were done) wanted to crisp up the skin a bit with some direct grilling, which you can do with this fabulous beast.

Veggie pan survived the test, but only because it was screened by the Def. plate.....and did i say the veggies we're the ducks nuts :smt023

Excellent, thanks!  Yes, the deflector makes sense, which is why I was asking. Didn’t see one, and yet your veg looked perfect  without a layer of char. Spinning over a pan of veg like that...hard to beat for easy AND ducks nuts fantastic. Makes me want to spin another soon.

• Like 1