DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Alimac your bread looks wonderfully delicious! I have a question what do you mean by crumb? I see it mentioned in almost all post about bread baking.

Hey Bruce, thanks very much for the kind words. The crumb in bread terms means the white part inside the loaf, when you slice a loaf of bread you can tell a lot about how the proofing went by the crumb.

If you have a look at a classic ciabatta bread it is characteristically defined by the big, open holes in the inside of the loaf (the crumb), like this (circled in black)

3b9a66f4d3dbb57baa059e3029b8f31c.jpg

Then compare that to mine today:

8d1a6c9069b7932562acdd77d6beab0a.jpg

It’s all a part of the journey, but the crumb is a good way to look at a loaf and see how successful the overall fermentation was and the lovely big holes in the crumb are a great thing to aim for in a ciabatta loaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alimac thanks for that explanation, sowould this be true on all breads? Say a loaf of raisin bread. Or different breads different crumb?

Hey Bruce, different breads for different crumb.

You’ll hear them described as tight, medium and open (possibly others too)

It’s part of the characteristics of a loaf style. Ciabatta should always have an open crumb.

Something like a sandwich loaf or French style country bread have a very tight crumb. You can basically gauge it by the size of the holes in the bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I decided to make crackers, so started the dough last evening and stored it in the fridge overnight. The dough is flavoured with cayenne pepper, black pepper and a little granulated garlic. Rolled it out this morning and did the bake. Only takes a few mins. to cool for the taste test.

736183403_BiteSizeCrackers.thumb.jpg.91469bfe57640588072fc369d5b732d9.jpg

Crackers.jpg.aaa83c5f69cd86c316622d4ad4088afb.jpg

Just for fun I might push my luck and roll them even thinner. :o

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I decided to make crackers, so started the dough last evening and stored it in the fridge overnight. The dough is flavoured with cayenne pepper, black pepper and a little granulated garlic. Rolled it out this morning and did the bake. Only takes a few mins. to cool for the taste test.

736183403_BiteSizeCrackers.thumb.jpg.91469bfe57640588072fc369d5b732d9.jpg

Just for fun I might push my luck and roll them even thinner. :o

Awesome, never even thought about making my own.

Thanks, Steve and Alimac. :) 

Easy to do the dough, the hardest part is rolling them out. This time I used my pasta roller for my mixer. That made things a lot easier. I like to do my own because I can then control how much salt there is plus I can control the other flavours too. This batch had a pinch of granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. They will stay crisp, mine are gone fairly fast so I don't know how long they will keep. Put them in an air tight jar.

Crackers

For yeasted crackers:

213g all-purpose flour

56.5 g butter (room temp.)

1.75 g salt

4.2 g baking powder

4.5 g sugar

6.5 g Instant yeast

156 g water

Mix all the ingredients together except the water. Once you have a homogenous mixture add the water and mix until it comes together. Cover the bowl and set in the fridge for 18 hours.

The next day cut the dough into 4 parts and roll out to 1/16 inch thick. I used my pasta roller for this. Lay the rolled-out dough on parchment paper and cut into strips lengthwise and then cut across to make the cracker. Dock 3 times with a fork and bake at 350F for 15-20 mins.

Before baking you can brush with melted butter and sprinkle on seeds, herbs, salt, pepper, etc.

I think you could do this before you cut the dough into crackers.

You can make whatever shape you want squares, rectangle, triangles, circles, etc.

**** Be careful not to over bake, it will spoil the flavour. If after baking to the desired colour you find the centre of the cracker is not crisp put them bake into a 250-275 F oven for 30–60 mins. with the convection fan running.

I have made this recipe ages ago and they were very good too. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/traditional-soda-crackers-recipe#reviews

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, Jon B. said:

Sounds perfect to me!!!  Guessing Tony has his bottle just out of camera view :grin:.

Jon knows me all too well - LOL!!

I usually only include the bottle in the shot if I want to show it off. If it's my usual swill, I tend to hide those - ha, ha! 

Need to catch up on posting. Was inspired to use some of the Dragon sauce that Jon was so kind to send me, on a pork chop Friday evening. The weather cooperated, so on the grill it went.

002.thumb.jpg.bb73865bf32045235b6eb324362385f3.jpg

Plated with some mixed rices and steamed broccoli. (Note: I didn't hide the bottle in this one - LOL!)

003.thumb.jpg.eda0274d658bf4c1adbf44d560e16afd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2