DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

On 12/15/2018 at 7:44 PM, Pequod said:

Naturally leavened focaccia. Topped with super high quality fresh pressed olive oil, fresh rosemary, sea salt, tomatoes, kalamata olives. The Italian grandmother in me is shouting, Mangia!

I am in Italy at the moment and have to say that your focaccia looks better than any I have seen here.  Nonna would be proud.  If you have not seen the focaccia making scene in the Salt Fat Acid Heat series on Netflix, you must.  Greed inducing thing of beauty.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2018 at 12:18 AM, alimac23 said:

More ciabatta bread today, I poured water in the pan on the main grate and it generates steam for a good 5 minutes, really happy with how these turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful! I knead (spelling intentional) to do some Ciabatta soon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tony looks delicious Nice pictures is that a dipping sauce for the bread? 

Yep. Very good EVOO with some herbs added. Sometimes throw in some grated parm. Been doing variations of this for decades. I like it better than butter on good crusty breads. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Yep. Very good EVOO with some herbs added. Sometimes throw in some grated parm. Been doing variations of this for decades. I like it better than butter on good crusty breads. 

I’ve been subscribing to the Fresh Pressed Olive Oil Club for the past year or so. Very pricey, but unbelievably good oils. Each shipment comes with one bottle each of a mild, medium, and bold freshly pressed oil. I used an Australian medium oil on my Focaccia last weekend. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Sometimes I think you guys are talking in a foreign language. Evoo, mangia, Odk, ears on bread, next it will probably be noses on pancakes. Sometimes I can figure them out but sometimes not. That’s one of the things I like on this site I’m getting and education LOL

Don’t be silly, Bruce. Only waffles have noses.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

I’ve been subscribing to the Fresh Pressed Olive Oil Club for the past year or so. Very pricey, but unbelievably good oils. Each shipment comes with one bottle each of a mild, medium, and bold freshly pressed oil. I used an Australian medium oil on my Focaccia last weekend. 

Send me a link please.

My "go to" for olive oil is Stonehouse in Napa Valley. I get most of what they do - nice single varietals, house blends, fresh harvest, herbed/spiced, oils with citrus. Really good stuff. While vacationing in Crete this fall, visited an olive oil factory and fell in love with their olive oils, too. Managed to find their sole US importer and scored some of their stuff, especially their "First run" - same as making wine, no external pressure, just the weight of the olive paste pressing our free run oil. Sublime!

199099294_oliveoil.jpg.5931df09c7e2ff8a359b0666c3220835.jpg

7 minutes ago, tony b said:

Send me a link please.

My "go to" for olive oil is Stonehouse in Napa Valley. I get most of what they do - nice single varietals, house blends, fresh harvest, herbed/spiced, oils with citrus. Really good stuff. While vacationing in Crete this fall, visited an olive oil factory and fell in love with their olive oils, too. Managed to find their sole US importer and scored some of their stuff, especially their "First run" - same as making wine, no external pressure, just the weight of the olive paste pressing our free run oil. Sublime!

199099294_oliveoil.jpg.5931df09c7e2ff8a359b0666c3220835.jpg

https://freshpressedoliveoil.com/

The website is a bit cheesy, but the oils are legit - best I’ve ever used. Recommended by Steven Raichlen and, if I’m remembering right, the book “Real Food Fake Food”. Incidentally, the latter is written by Larry Olmsted, the same guy who rated the KK he best grill in Forbes.

6 hours ago, tony b said:

hard pressed

Ha ha

12 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tekobo have fun in Italy have an extra portion of pasta for me lol

10 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - mangia, mangia, baby!! 

We ate well.  Hard not to in Italy.  What has me really excited though, is the pizza making lesson that we had.  Very un-Italian in that he was not rigid about the dough recipe and very good in that he showed us how to handle and shape the dough.  Lots of really good techniques including making sure your dough ball is tight before leaving to rise, handling v gently to keep the circular shape when you lift it out, gentle pressing to "open" the dough and then the two handed, rotating pull on a very well dusted surface to stretch the dough into a circle.  The below were baked in an indoor oven in circular pans.  Now need to replicate that shaping at home in the KK.  

ravtAm3MTLqZegwr4nyGbA.thumb.jpg.0a6462ba2a3846622605601d0eee95bc.jpg

RsX4X1SnRKekHkjw08QFdQ.thumb.jpg.9dead7fc917dcd47631287afaf27a825.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, tekobo said:

I am in Italy at the moment and have to say that your focaccia looks better than any I have seen here.  Nonna would be proud.  If you have not seen the focaccia making scene in the Salt Fat Acid Heat series on Netflix, you must.  Greed inducing thing of beauty.  

Just watched that episode. Great show! I think the focaccia I made is consistent, although I used sourdough leavening rather than yeast. High quality oil throughout — in the pan, in the dough, on top. Had exactly the crispy outer texture as in the show, with a soft, tender middle. Now I want to make another! Also have a recipe for an authentic Tuscan Ragu I’ve been meaning to do. Maybe next week. Lots of good stuff in that episode I’ve learned over the years - like that most olive oils sold in the US are either a) not olive oil, or b) old and rancid. I now think of olive oil like I think of my coffee beans. Must be fresh. I need to see the date the oil was pressed and the date my beans were roasted. 

• Like 1

@Pequod, glad you liked the show.  I haven't watched the whole series yet.  Saving them for a nice winter's evening.  I learned a lot from her about salting too.  And yes, looking at good focaccia creates the most unlikely urge to gorge on soft fatty bread.  Put like that it doesn't sound so good but it IS so good.  

I smoked a cured pork belly today. Temp. were perfect. I wanted to try out the Thermoworks Signals for the first time and it is only able to operate about freezing. We had a big rain storm pass through the area giving lots of rain and warn temp.

I went to visit a friend before Xmas and here is an example of some of the flooding along the way. Normally this is field but today it is full of water, The brown in the foreground is actually the shoulder of the road so you can see the road is in danger of flooding.

Flooding.thumb.jpg.9458b819fd39aa90b11a32c8f66699f3.jpg

I decided to use the cold smoker on the 16 inch KK and here is the first smoke.

381046746_FirstSmoke.thumb.jpg.aee43d76f647198e4fccb8984983ec78.jpg

Pork belly is on to smoke.

753190121_SmokingBelly.thumb.jpg.58aab58a6203779f3dd5c99180310c7b.jpg

I smoked the belly for about 3 hours and then moved it over to the big KK for a Little more smoking and the final cooking. 200-220F until the IT was 145F.

Done.

100495892_BellyIsSmoked.thumb.jpg.cf4b37528a0889c46b89104ffc3c4c4f.jpg

P1070798.thumb.jpg.390cca715dc483695da58956d921ef82.jpg

675040427_BaconIsReadyforSlicing.thumb.jpg.76387e8cf8d8183e15fd5a8e3f993757.jpg

Smoked.thumb.jpg.91373d191e1ac0f9f7cf96be057083fa.jpg

Slicing is tomorrow. :)  It does smell wonderful.

The KK is still smoking.:)

Still Smoking.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 6