DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Started a new to me recipe for focaccia bread even though I knew my pan wasn't quite large enough. It couldn't be that bad could it!?

Reaady for an overnight fridge proof.

2030471334_FocacciaBreadReadytoProof.thumb.jpg.c8cee83daa4cd54ce45b7ffde98449a6.jpg

Getting ready to bake.

1955617744_ReadytoBake.thumb.jpg.cec14bfe269bc88e23d3b6810db0c3a3.jpg

Toppings.thumb.jpg.b91121826781d9e036f471b245adbe15.jpg

Baked. Yes, it is much thicker than it should be but it does smell great. After it cools we'll see how it tastes. :)

1118357188_FocacciaIsBaked.thumb.jpg.612153c7b0fc8e7534a586cc693f0406.jpg

476751378_UpCloseFocaccia.thumb.jpg.31b20583e313da148a40a1c2e73aac8a.jpg

• Like 7

Started a new to me recipe for focaccia bread even though I knew my pan wasn't quite large enough. It couldn't be that bad could it!?
Reaady for an overnight fridge proof.
2030471334_FocacciaBreadReadytoProof.thumb.jpg.c8cee83daa4cd54ce45b7ffde98449a6.jpg
Getting ready to bake.
1955617744_ReadytoBake.thumb.jpg.cec14bfe269bc88e23d3b6810db0c3a3.jpg
Toppings.thumb.jpg.b91121826781d9e036f471b245adbe15.jpg
Baked. Yes, it is much thicker than it should be but it does smell great. After it cools we'll see how it tastes. 
1118357188_FocacciaIsBaked.thumb.jpg.612153c7b0fc8e7534a586cc693f0406.jpg
476751378_UpCloseFocaccia.thumb.jpg.31b20583e313da148a40a1c2e73aac8a.jpg

That looks sensational Mac nicley done

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be making this bread again. I loved the taste. I was a little apprehensive about the blue cheese topping but it was wonderful, also added olives, partially dehydrated then frozen tomatoes from last summer's garden, ground pepper, a sprinkling of cumin and fennel.

The recipe is from "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart

295488098_BakedFocaccia.thumb.jpg.977f3357c08644ab125b568093f3133d.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful to me Mackenzie. I’m going to attempt my first loaf of bread ever hopefully this week.
Going for a country loaf by following the Tartine book. Have my starter on day three right now.
I didn’t realize the Tartine bakery is only twenty minutes from where I live.
Also the Pizza Bible author is about thirty minutes from me. I’ve eaten slices from his restaurant often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some food and some questions for y'all.  First a gratuitous shot of the oysters we started off with.  The Husband picked up an oyster shucking tool that was used for the Guinness Book record and there was much less swearing than usual.  In fact, there was no swearing at all and the oysters were delicious.

fullsizeoutput_10d3.thumb.jpeg.a5ac05459f65d4eb16b8b755f56b2cca.jpeg

I am not getting the best performance out of my rotisserie motor.  It does not seem to key in as well as it should and I have not worked out whether it is because we cut the shaft too short, or not.  Worked out OK today because I pushed the motor against the wall once I'd installed it.  I would be interested in what motors others on 240V power use.

395430811_5gZnxoISka5IqpeqDssw.thumb.jpg.6803b1166723b9d099ccaeb1720dd17e.jpg

I spun two half legs of lamb in one KK and smoked a moussaka in the other.  The mince for the moussaka was baked in the oven for half an hour to start with to brown the mince and drive out the fat so I could drain it away.  Neat trick that I picked up from a Tom Kerridge recipe.  As you can see, I still have some venting marks on both KKs.  I will have to try the magic eraser that you recommend as it sometimes makes me wonder whether the KKs are still venting. No soft spots or smells though.  Anyway, everything turned out yummy.

VYEDz7HPQnySsNcJ6NtUrA.thumb.jpg.9b1cd37b51d864f7a6c3709789917bf6.jpg

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

On occasion I have had mine not rotate after starting the motor. I did find that the sleeve inside the KK for some reason seemed to be stuck so now I make sure it is free to turn. Just put the shaft in and turn it by hand to see if the sleeve turns when you turn the shaft. You will also see how far that shaft must go in for the rotisserie to work. There doesn't appear to be a lot of leeway so things need to be snug. Hope this helps some. You might want to do the same thing with the rod before you load it, just make sure that sleeve turns.

Shaft.thumb.jpg.de09593b7d867a45913e99f993645453.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie

Thanks @MacKenzie.  I never remember to experiment in between cooks but have now left the motor out to remind me to have a play next weekend.  Things tend to turn at first but then go slow and stop part way through the process.  Jamming the motor against the wall stopped it leaning away from the KK and losing connection partway through the cook.  That makes me think we cut the rod just a little bit too short.  Will have a play next weekend and will then see if I can get another rod or motor if that is what is needed.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - you MUST try Drago style oysters. They are seriously fab!

Hmm.  I have never thought that cooking oysters was a good idea but then again, I haven't tried them char grilled.  Will definitely give this recipe a go.  The Husband is super happy with his new oyster knife so it won't be difficult to persuade him to try it out on a few more oysters soon.  

One thing I did not reveal yesterday was that my KK cook also included a gooseberry pie.  I managed to incinerate the base but everyone had some and my friend really liked the smokey flavour on the gooseberries even though she does not normally like gooseberries.  I am willing to believe that smokey oysters are a new sensation that is worth trying.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

Beautiful to me Mackenzie. I’m going to attempt my first loaf of bread ever hopefully this week.
Going for a country loaf by following the Tartine book. Have my starter on day three right now.
I didn’t realize the Tartine bakery is only twenty minutes from where I live.
Also the Pizza Bible author is about thirty minutes from me. I’ve eaten slices from his restaurant often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, sf. You are in good company. Let's hope some of those bread vibes flow your way. Good  luck with your first bread cook. Take pixs. :) 

@tekobo - the trick is to let the edges just start to curl in their shells and then hit them with the yummy butter mix. Then, pull them off the grill just as it starts to bubble without spilling - a tad tricky - gloves work better than tongs. Have plenty of nice crusty bread on hand for dipping in the juices. Awesome with a nice cold glass of bubbly (or a good dry white wine - Chablis, Riesling, Albarino, Vinho Verde or Vermintino).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tekobo said:

my KK cook also included a gooseberry pie

I have lots of fond memories of my Grandmother making gooseberry cobbler after I picked a bucket of gooseberries. She said "use all the sugar they would hold, then just a little bit more."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonj said:

I have lots of fond memories of my Grandmother making gooseberry cobbler after I picked a bucket of gooseberries. She said "use all the sugar they would hold, then just a little bit more."

Your Grandmother must have loved you!  Every year, I buy a few boxes of gooseberries and get friends to help with topping and tailing them so that I can cook them up and freeze them for use in the depths of winter. Every year, I tell myself, never again.  It is such a boring job!  But I do like the taste of gooseberries.  

Around Christmas last year, a friend offered me some MORE gooseberries - from her freezer.  It turns out that she had simply frozen them whole.  It was a very easy job to snip off the ends with a pair of scissors, cover them in sugar and put them in the pie case.  Mixed with some of my stewed gooseberries, they tasted really good as long as you avoided the charred base!  Next time I won't be lazy - I will put a rack in higher up and will use my thick lodge skillet to shield the pie bottom.  Oh yes, and I will check on the pie after ten minutes, not twenty!

QOfY7WwQRhOvWvAIzjxvaA.thumb.jpg.6aa437eb4134f00d42339c2f1eefa512.jpg

• Like 3