DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

A lovely spring day and an opportunity to get together with friends gave me a chance to put Darth through his paces yesterday.

Stole an idea off the forum and made myself a nice little cast iron smoke pot.  Worked great!  Kudos to those who are willing to share their ideas with us noobs!

IMG_9126.jpg.f6aa839e7ef5d55a000c194e80948f61.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg.d40fb225fd20038f55aef3caad9d0ed3.jpg

Loaded up with some baby backs and a couple slabs of beef back ribs - both dry brined and rubbed.

IMG_9136.jpg.cc2cab75f93a51e18fdf3daaff8c4b62.jpg

A little smoked mac and cheese...

IMG_9143.jpg.01603c167cafaa5be9d2607a8cf72464.jpg

My first two tier cook - ha ha!

IMG_9151.jpg.0fad2d26599ca4a28cf5df85f570d367.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg.514316d1277c136af4e15d456a3b3a39.jpg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, El Pescador said:

Stole an idea off the forum and made myself a nice little cast iron smoke pot.  Worked great! 

Glad it worked out for you. One question - when you opened it up after the cook, had the wood chunks inside turned to charcoal or was there a bunch of ash?

For others that want to do this, it's not necessary to put that many holes in it, nor do they need to be that big. Three small holes (1/8" drill bit) are really all it takes. The idea is to let just enough air inside to support the wood smoldering (producing smoke) without it getting enough air to actually burn. Also, to be complete - the holes go in the bottom and not in the lid to force the smoke produced to exit back into the fire and burn off some of the nasty volatiles to produce cleaner smoke. OK, lecture's over, class dismissed! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pequod said:

Some roadkill mini-chooks over a pan of harissa’d sweet taters and asparagus. The minis were dry brined and seasoned with Meathead’s Simon and Fargunkle rub.

I've used that rub on chicken before too.  I like the way Meathead doesn't include salt in his rubs.  Gives you the chance to brine/salt to your taste and then add the rub without having to guess on seasoning.  Nice job!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tony b said:

THANK YOU for adopting an older dog! They need good homes, too! He looks like a sweetie!

This is the second senior we’ve adopted through Lab Rescue. Kodi crossed the rainbow bridge almost exactly 1 year ago. Took some time to find Buck, but he’s already become my buddy. Follows me everywhere. Here we are, bringing our boy home: 

His name was “Puck”, but we didn’t like it, so he’s now “Buck”. He’ll never notice the change.
Edited by Pequod
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Glad it worked out for you. One question - when you opened it up after the cook, had the wood chunks inside turned to charcoal or was there a bunch of ash?

For others that want to do this, it's not necessary to put that many holes in it, nor do they need to be that big. Three small holes (1/8" drill bit) are really all it takes. The idea is to let just enough air inside to support the wood smoldering (producing smoke) without it getting enough air to actually burn. Also, to be complete - the holes go in the bottom and not in the lid to force the smoke produced to exit back into the fire and burn off some of the nasty volatiles to produce cleaner smoke. OK, lecture's over, class dismissed!  

@tony b, I suppose I got a little excited with the drill.  In hindsight, I can understand why fewer holes might be better.  The wood turned to coal and not ash, so I guess I didn't screw it up too badly!

• Like 2