DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Steve is it a donate rice cooker? They need to be seasoned. Do a search on UTube and you’ll find instructions.

According to some of the Q&A on amazon, it doesn't need to be seasoned. It looks like some decent instructions from users as well. I'll give it a try.

Thanks Bruce

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve M said:

@MacKenzie @Flemming You guys are killing me. Fantastic job.

BTW MacKenzie, I just got my ceramic rice cooker and all the instructions are in Chinese so I might need a little direction. Or Chinese lessons, whichever is easier for you.

Definitely a foreign language. Called Amazon and explained the issue they said they would inform the seller but I haven't heard anything yet. They did give me $5 on my next purchase , however. If you read the posting regarding the likes rating you may find some info there. I believe 3/4 water to 1 cup rice, I also saw a 1 to 1 ratio. Maybe Toney can enlighten us since I followed his link to Amazon when mention of rice cooking was around.  I haven't used it yet but, I understand you can use it on a gas or electric stove. Keeping in mind were talking about the 3 part, small black ceramic piece. There is also a 20/20/20 method in prep,, 20 mins soak 20 mins cook med/high and 20 rest. Might be a experiment waiting to happen, mine's sitting on the stove waiting for action

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, tekobo said:

You are pushing the boundaries with your use of suya pepper Mr Tony B.  I don't think I have ever seen a beef rib grilled in Nigeria, let alone with suya pepper on.  How did it turn out?  Did you marinade in advance or was it a late dusting?

That would be me to a T! If I'm not pushing boundaries, I'm not happy! 

It was pretty tasty. I should have dusted it again after the cook, like I'd do skewers, though. All I had done was dry rub the Suya on it and let it sit for about an hour. 

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Definitely a foreign language. Called Amazon and explained the issue they said they would inform the seller but I haven't heard anything yet. They did give me $5 on my next purchase , however. If you read the posting regarding the likes rating you may find some info there. I believe 3/4 water to 1 cup rice, I also saw a 1 to 1 ratio. Maybe Toney can enlighten us since I followed his link to Amazon when mention of rice cooking was around.  I haven't used it yet but, I understand you can use it on a gas or electric stove. Keeping in mind were talking about the 3 part, small black ceramic piece. There is also a 20/20/20 method in prep,, 20 mins soak 20 mins cook med/high and 20 rest. Might be a experiment waiting to happen, mine's sitting on the stove waiting for action

Common complaint about the instructions being in a "foreign" language.

I did season my donabe, just to be on the safe side. Very simple to do and it's a one-timer, just like venting your KK.

My standard is the 20/20/20 method. The 20 minutes "cook" is an approximation. You want fairly low heat as you are trying to slowly warm up the pot (it's a ceramic cooking vessel after all). Once you see steam coming out of the top lid hole ( you do know the trick is to position it 90 degrees from the 2 holes on the inner lid, right?), after about a minute then you turn off the heat (you can go another 1 - 2 minutes if you want a bit of "crust" on the bottom of the rice pot) and go straight into the 20 minute rest. No peaking! Then open and fluff. Because you've warmed up the ceramic vessel, you can put the lids back on and hold the rice for quite a while. 

For most rice, I use a 1:1 ratio of water/broth to rice, same as an electric rice cooker. The "standard" is supposedly 1 cup of rice (which is actually slightly less than a cup - as they use a special measuring cup for the rice - approx. 3/4 cup) to a cup of water. I've found that it's not a linear scale. Since I'm usually only cooking for myself, I typically cook 1/4 - 1/3 cup of rice (standard measuring cup), I'll toss in a splash more liquid. Depending on what type of rice you're using, say Jasmine, Basmati, etc.,  - a good prewash to get much of the exterior starch off, before the 20 minute soak, will give you very fluffy results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Common complaint about the instructions being in a "foreign" language.

I did season my donabe, just to be on the safe side. Very simple to do and it's a one-timer, just like venting your KK.

My standard is the 20/20/20 method. The 20 minutes "cook" is an approximation. You want fairly low heat as you are trying to slowly warm up the pot (it's a ceramic cooking vessel after all). Once you see steam coming out of the top lid hole ( you do know the trick is to position it 90 degrees from the 2 holes on the inner lid, right?), after about a minute then you turn off the heat (you can go another 1 - 2 minutes if you want a bit of "crust" on the bottom of the rice pot) and go straight into the 20 minute rest. No peaking! Then open and fluff. Because you've warmed up the ceramic vessel, you can put the lids back on and hold the rice for quite a while. 

For most rice, I use a 1:1 ratio of water/broth to rice, same as an electric rice cooker. The "standard" is supposedly 1 cup of rice (which is actually slightly less than a cup - as they use a special measuring cup for the rice - approx. 3/4 cup) to a cup of water. I've found that it's not a linear scale. Since I'm usually only cooking for myself, I typically cook 1/4 - 1/3 cup of rice (standard measuring cup), I'll toss in a splash more liquid. Depending on what type of rice you're using, say Jasmine, Basmati, etc.,  - a good prewash to get much of the exterior starch off, before the 20 minute soak, will give you very fluffy results. 

Great info, thanks!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Definitely a foreign language. Called Amazon and explained the issue they said they would inform the seller but I haven't heard anything yet.

Where is your sense of adventure @Tyrusand @Steve M?  Ignore all the helpful online advice in English, rig up your phone with Google translate, point your camera at the foreign text and prepare to be entertained.  The instructions are much more fun when translated, badly, from foreign into English.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Where is your sense of adventure @Tyrusand @Steve M?  Ignore all the helpful online advice in English, rig up your phone with Google translate, point your camera at the foreign text and prepare to be entertained.  The instructions are much more fun when translated, badly, from foreign into English.  

Can google help me find my sense of adventure? :smt046

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Steve M said:
6 hours ago, tekobo said:

Think were being poked at Steve. All I have to say is when I call Amazon I keep my fingers crossed hoping I get someone that's been speaking English over a week. Are there special instructions for attaching a camera to a rotary phone? Gonna have to see if Prime has Shogun running again, thought I saw my rice cooker in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I finally found a source for beef plate ribs and they are prime! Started the grill at 0600 this morning and put the ribs on at 0800 cruising along about 275.

IMG_7707.thumb.JPG.aec68b3bb1bde11d9d452bfcbaa2b7be.JPG

2 racks about 4 lbs each. Dusted them with a couple of different dizzy pig rubs.

IMG_3233.thumb.JPG.c502f910f69be3008621d394d8a8b266.JPG

Pulled when they hit about 200 about 5 hours in.

IMG_2602.thumb.JPG.4c80b32a09c38e21932878afd4f9540d.JPG

IMG_7184.thumb.JPG.7e48ce40b8f53e11bcb4c7bc54c73dee.JPG

IMG_6906.thumb.JPG.be5451bc75d9921ffd948ddba34de250.JPG

Happy 4th of July everybody.

• Like 6