DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Awesome cook mate .great to see someone realize the KK can get hot and cooled down before it gets heat soaked

Second time doing pork belly.  Last time I couldn’t get the crackling right.
So this time I started at 300C to puff up the skin quickly then reduced the temperature to 140C for 3h - did before KK was heat soaked and put in cold grill grates and the deflector stone slab to absorb the heat inside.  Gave it another blast at 300C for 15mins at the end.  Sweet & spicy rub - sugar, cayenne, garlic, onion, cumin - with just a bit of olive oil and salt for the crackling.
Great fun.
0E8A8249-4674-40FF-A842-DD3A5BA8B067.thumb.jpeg.946c142e94cca1a205554998df917a37.jpeg
248B2485-D583-41F2-A833-8ACD0960B3C6.thumb.jpeg.da0d237847bbed8f4dcc347722af4bad.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Mac that looks perfect! Nice cook bet it tastes as good as it looks, send me a slice please lol

Thanks, Bruce. :-D It has been a long time since I did a beef roast and now I'm wondering why because it was very tasty and the Meater took it to the perfect temperature. :smt054

• Like 1

You now how it goes, one forum member buys a new gadget and the next thing you know it's in your Amazon basket. It just happened to me, thanks Jon. :-D

Did 10-12 chicken drumsticks today in this new rotisserie basket. It would have held a lot more but I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. ;)

1954996993_BasketinKK.thumb.jpg.d43400d5defff46846c89eb3d0f82d25.jpg

932930625_CknDrums.thumb.jpg.99656d1eed25af064016dceccbe93938.jpg

484591302_ChickenDrums.thumb.jpg.9553834ac5009c4e62efab7a1d8bf0ee.jpg

Plated.

357976135_ChickenandBeans.thumb.jpg.6b93aa5d2487e0e79b50f5e15730aa3b.jpg

1749589989_ChickenDrumsticks.thumb.jpg.36cefe570d1e2026535c2d68e3e22ab4.jpg

Napoleon Rotisserie Grill Basket Accessory in Stainless Steel - 64000 - Fits All Standard Spit Rods. Best for Even Cooking of Wings, Fries and Roasted Veggies.

Wings tasted great but one thing you'll notice, the wings did get beat up a little but perhaps if I had loaded the basket it wouldn't have happened so much.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tony b said:

I got this one from One Grill back a ways. I like it because it's adjustable, so things don't flop around. The only downside, and it's common to all baskets like this, is that the spit rod goes through it, which can get in the way sometimes with larger pieces of food. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008P4B8M2

Like that one also, it's adjustable. The down side is it's for the bigger items, the smalls would fall out, unless you laid in a screen of some sort. I'll let you folks do the experimentation and sort it out first but I will forge ahead with this little diddy and see how it works. Today I was going to do a brisket flat but my package arrived late in the day so, tomorrow we'll do the trimming.  This is a boning/fillet knife, has a great feel and is well balanced in hand. It's 6.5 inches and has a full tang and I prefer a smaller knife for trimming fat and silver skin off. Is it the correct knife, ah who cares it's comfortable. I had brought one back similar from Colorado with a nice elk handle but misplaced it in the yard. Must of looked for 2 hours for that knife...I just can't find it. It'll turn up one day unless, one of those pesky squirrels may have taken it and is dicing his nuts up for supper in some tree. Advertised on Amazon by Dalstrong and recently marked down, a quality instrument, seeing how so many others here are appreciative of cutlery.

DSCF2744.JPG

DSCF2741.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 5

Tyrus that's a nice looking blade. I love a good knife.

Do you know what steel it is?

It has a very similar handle to a Miyabi knife I have. Sounds Japanese, but it isn't. I think Zwilling make them and although they have a Damascus looking steel blade, there is a whole lot of stainless in them.

My favourite blade is Aogami Super Blue Steel. Holds a razor edge forever and is really responsive to sharpening, however, it doesn't like water very much!

I have been looking at Ginsan steel for the next knife. Anyone used this before?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Basher said:

Tyrus that's a nice looking blade. I love a good knife.

Do you know what steel it is?

It has a very similar handle to a Miyabi knife I have. Sounds Japanese, but it isn't. I think Zwilling make them and although they have a Damascus looking steel blade, there is a whole lot of stainless in them.

My favourite blade is Aogami Super Blue Steel. Holds a razor edge forever and is really responsive to sharpening, however, it doesn't like water very much!

I have been looking at Ginsan steel for the next knife. Anyone used this before?

Hello Basher, The steel listed is AUS-8 Japanese steel and the handle a is laminated black pakka-wood. They offered Damascus blades however, I felt a blade of this smaller size was better represented with this high carbon steel and the Damascus maybe more inclined towards the larger thicker blades such as, a Chefs knife or your typical larger slicing knives. Do you coat your blue steel blade with oil while it sleeps before it's next use? My next purchase will be a larger chefs knife by the same manufacturer with the hope of eventually retiring the cheaper set I have because I'm constantly sharpening. I remember Bruce Pearson has a beautiful set of carving knives as well as a number of forum members and to give credit where credit is due...Bruce turned me on to this brand. I believe the knife is made in the Japanese tradition with an attempt to get as close as one may get but if you want the best you know as well as I that you have to go to the source and ante' up.  I also love a good well performing comfortable knife and yes it has to have a look about it.