DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Originally I planned on having Mac & Cheese, spinach and pork tenderloin for dinner today but those darn Xmas elves forgot to put that pork tenderloin that I had thawing on the counter, into the fridge before going to bed. :(

Needless to say it hit the trash when I saw it still on the counter in the morning.

After the cheese was smoked I fired up the KK still with cold smoker attached and put in the mac and cheese to bake.

2012684967_MacCheeseBaked.thumb.jpg.180d9d7bae24d06a71c4a391f96429ff.jpg

401867540_DinnerIsPlated.thumb.jpg.48adb207b5b754183c20b7f6caff2f7a.jpg

While all this was going on I also made some sourdough bread. :) 

1349499040_SourdoghBread.thumb.jpg.2fb42f0781f408727f73d426339be0c7.jpg

• Like 7

Mac thanks for reminding me about the cheese.

I’ve been meaning to cold smoke some of this.

970cdb4fd43b79fa827eeade4a2c94d2.jpg

Put a little purple crack and pepper on one, and ground chilli on another.

I’ve found with some other foods, the cold smoke flavour changes significantly after about 10 days- it mellows nicely. Anyone else found this or maybe it’s just the oak that I’ve mostly been using?

This definitely happened with my tea and also the rock salt I smoked. They both get better left to age in a sealed jar.

Trying some cumin seeds tonight for something new.

03e263aa5ee11c163c94709c6a1aa4c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Great looking cooks one and all.  Nice Mac and cheese, could almost taste it. A handsome steak if I say so, myself. And yes Basher..Time is an ingredient, letting it sit a while as you say, mellows the flavor. Ask Toney, the same could be said in making a good brew.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Time is an ingredient, letting it sit a while as you say, mellows the flavor. Ask Toney, the same could be said in making a good brew.

Indeed! I've also found that cold smoked items get better with a few days of rest, especially cheese. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Never had a flat iron steak, it looks good what cut of meat is it?

From Wiki: Flat iron steak, butlers' steak, or oyster blade steak is a cut of steak cut with the grain from the shoulder of the animal.

It's in the Chuck primal area. 

everythingbeefflat-careful-division.jpg.0f7eb3e6e6fe043451dce3eac4b242e7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tad colder, but I did manage to get in a chicken cook for dinner last night. Both were spicy - on the left was a teriyaki (Adoboloco) and the right was mango habenero sauce (blend of Dinosaur and Melindas). Direct @ 375F over peach wood. I slashed the skin on the teriyaki one to allow it to penetrate better while marinating. 

2061876061_Spicychicken002.thumb.jpg.0de7270b5190468f725f6c2e024ad7f1.jpg

871765409_Spicychicken003.thumb.jpg.2a0a226b8e8b0f98786a715f9b736d2b.jpg

• Like 6

@ Basher, yes, the smoked products get much better when left to mellow for a few weeks or even months. I wouldn't even taste it when it first comes off the KK, just vacuum seal it and it will keep in the fridge for a long period of time if you can resist eating it that is. On I've  had mine there for nearly a year. :smt054

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

Thanks, I tried some cheese last night and it tasted a little tar.
Gave some to a friend and they thought it was the best cheese ever..... a very kind friend.
I had a cloth around the end of the cold smoker again. This time it pick up heaps of tar, last time not so much.
It might be the oak shavings. I’ll try to give them a little sunbaking when the humidity drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk