DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Very interesting.  Particularly the fact that you started the cook from frozen.  One to experiment with methnks.  

Tekobo I have cooked a few frozen items in the KK. They defrost very quickly. Our climate very humid here at the moment and all frozen foods defrost very quickly. Water is a better conductor than air.
It’s all to do with “wet bulb temperature” I’m sure the scientist here can expand on this.... and the fridge mechanics.
I’m surprised WBT isn’t discussed more in cooking circles. Even the steam oven makers stayed away from this in their marketing. They must understand it..... maybe it’s their marketing departments that don’t understand it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Basher said:

I’m surprised WBT isn’t discussed more in cooking circles. Even the steam oven makers stayed away from this in their marketing. They must understand it..... maybe it’s their marketing departments that don’t understand it?

Probably because it's too complex a concept for most of the lay public to grasp.  :scratch:

Wet-bulb temperature (WBT) is the temperature read by a thermometer covered in water-soaked cloth (wet-bulb thermometer) over which air is passed. At 100% relative humidity, the wet-bulb temperature is equal to the air temperature (dry-bulb temperature) and it is lower at lower humidity. It is defined as the temperature of a parcel of air cooled to saturation (100% relative humidity) by the evaporation of water into it, with the latent heat supplied by the parcel. A wet-bulb thermometer indicates a temperature close to the true (thermodynamic) wet-bulb temperature. The wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached under current ambient conditions by the evaporation of water only.

• Like 1

Probably because it's too complex a concept for most of the lay public to grasp.  :scratch:
Wet-bulb temperature (WBT) is the temperature read by a thermometer covered in water-soaked cloth (wet-bulb thermometer) over which air is passed. At 100% relative humidity, the wet-bulb temperature is equal to the air temperature (dry-bulb temperature) and it is lower at lower humidity. It is defined as the temperature of a parcel of air cooled to saturation (100% relative humidity) by the evaporation of water into it, with the latent heat supplied by the parcel. A wet-bulb thermometer indicates a temperature close to the true (thermodynamic) wet-bulb temperature. The wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached under current ambient conditions by the evaporation of water only.

Tony this is the best article I have read on wet bulb temperatures- and most relevant to cooking.

https://www.alkar.com/service/technicalreports/CookingTruth.pdf
I still think WBT deserves more air time to understand and educate its effect on cooking. Especially kamado cooking.

20 hours ago, Basher said:

Tony this is the best article I have read on wet bulb temperatures- and most relevant to cooking.

https://www.alkar.com/service/technicalreports/CookingTruth.pdf

@Basher   That article was interesting....thanks for posting.  I always wondered why spritzing meat/ribs with liquid would make a huge difference.  Might just be some science to it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

I always wondered why spritzing meat/ribs with liquid would make a huge difference. 

While there is an aspect of this "wet bulb temperature" phenomenon going on, most old school BBQ'ers are spritzing their meats to improve the smoky bark. Smoke particles stick to wet surfaces better than dry ones. I seriously doubt some old BBQ'er was sitting out by his smoker doing calculations of wet bulb-to-dry bulb temperature differences to calculate his cooking rate/time and determining optimal spritzing intervals! LOL! 

To give a good visual representation of what I'm alluding to, you only have to look at a Mollier diagram, which is what engineers use to figure out relative humidity from wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. Enjoy!

Mollier.jpg.b14e669735407aaf2389bf082d14eabd.jpg

• Like 1

Although not measured, I’m sure part of the kk success is due to it holding a humid environment.
If it’s humid, there’s less evaporation, and if it’s humid, there greater success in obtaining the same internal food temperature with a lower temperature.
80f in the tropics feels far hotter than 80f in dry air.
In that experiment, 40% humidity cooked the meat in the same time with 30 deg less temperature.

• Like 1