DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Great burgers require great buns. The rules: #1 - make it brioche, and #2 - make it yourself.

7E9053FD-301A-4061-AFED-8EFAAB35A475.thumb.jpeg.bc14fc34b7ad891fc2a46aca310900ed.jpeg

E0421902-3681-4FB5-8C3B-553B0E91ACAD.thumb.jpeg.79da58438abed913ea6432a4e025f08b.jpeg

The burgers...they be of the smashed variety to maximize the char. Superheat a baking steel, then flatten two 2.5 oz balls o’ boeuf with a heavy flat spatula.

030220F7-FB33-4E48-8F3A-9BF98CBF629A.thumb.jpeg.972d3d327cc747e90ce3cb095085546f.jpeg
The chez is of the American variety. Not really cheese, but a must have, like beet root.

40C56CAA-01DA-4485-91AF-25FFD940CBED.thumb.jpeg.fd07f9b2aef6a0f2e4f021d9f2c7119f.jpeg

Great burger meets great bun. 
ABA8C705-2218-4EAC-B4EB-64F73108C522.thumb.jpeg.0fa403f686b52f7a2c995ef827e86232.jpeg

• Like 7

Since the lockdown in the UK, I've either been in the garden or the kitchen. So I thought I'd share some of my endeavours. 

Tried baking in the 32KK for the first time. Made a banana and tahini loaf. If you like peanut butter and banana as a combination, you will like this. Used cocochar, had a very slight smokiness to it which was discernible from doing it in our fan assisted oven. Crumb was great in both but I think a savoury loaf might benefit more from the KK's charms.

Ordered some pork ribs from the butcher who now identifies me as 'the meat enthusiast' and  recognises a kindred spirit. He has made some suggestions on cuts and modifications to recipes and I must say, it's a match made in heaven. Pictured are pork ribs which he cut long so we had a large piece of non-rib which I think is a cut used to make bacon. Applied our own house dry rub which has around 250 ingredients (feels like it at least). My wife is pictured applying it as she is far better at getting the membrane off the ribs so got to be the kid and get covered in rub mix. Cooked then in the KK rib rack at 105 for 4-6 hours and then grilled to finish with lots of sticky BBQ sauce. I cheated and used bottle sauce to glaze as I was low on sugar and am trying to clear the fridge out of BBQ sauces (I swear they've been breeding). They were superb and I ended up wearing the ribs. I got told off by my wife for spilling food all over my t-shirt. I may have grunted and slurped some sort of acknowledgement whereupon she said I was like an overgrown caveman child. I think it's a compliment.

We have Wild Garlic growing abundantly in the woods behind our house so in our prescribed daily exercise, we foraged some and I'm currently working up some recipes with it. Wild Garlic Oil to go on to a pizza with goats cheese and onion. I think some might find its way into a Pesto and there'll be some gnocchi pan fried with sage and wild garlic on the cards this week too. I'm debating a wrap for whole fish slow cooked on the KK. A bit like a banana leaf. I've attached some pictures for interest if you don't know the plant. You use the leaves of the plant which are quite succulent. Slightly different smell to regular garlic and doesn't have the same pungency and heat you can find in garlic bulbs. 

Hope everyone is in good health and spirits (and using this time to perfect their KK cooks). 🙌

IMG_2237_AB.jpg

IMG_2239_AB.jpg

IMG_1539_AB.jpg

IMG_1715_AB.jpg

IMG_1516_AB.jpg

IMG_1515_AB.jpg

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 7

Last night was Indian - kofta kebabs. Mix of ground beef and lamb, with lots of onions, garlic and parsley, with my house lamb seasoning with extra berbere spice tossed in. Direct, @ 300F, on the Frog Mat (they sometime get a bit crumbly), with coffee wood chunks. 

1876054694_LockdownKoftakabobs003.thumb.jpg.4fe146f82a069b4ec57fbd1c849da30f.jpg

Plated with an herbed basmati and side salad. I wanted to make a raita to go with it, but when I pulled the cuke out of the veggie bin it had gone bad. Oh well! :shrug:

1507508330_LockdownKoftakabobs004.thumb.jpg.ad39f716bb739a2c8a4ea47eec07d9e2.jpg

1627496550_LockdownKoftakabobs005.thumb.jpg.6e212f84d480e1aee59874ecf29c0b96.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/3/2020 at 4:53 AM, Basher said:

Not sure why you want to remove the connective tissue. That’s my favourite, sticky, gooey, flavoursome, juicy part combined with the muscle.

Well... I take all the fat and connective tissue, render it down in a skillet, pour the liquid oil all over the pulled meat. No globs of fat or connective tissue in your mouth, and all the juiciness and flavor! The guests are none the wiser, all they perceive is pure, lean muscle in their mouth that is somehow moist and succulent. And all the browned bits from the rendering get divvied up amongst the coonhounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterdays meatloaf. Standard recipe for the loaf, beef, Italian sausage, eggs, peppers, onions, bread crumbs, spices, I did use BBQ sauce in place of tomato sauce in the mix and to slather the top. I also used the last of my 2019 Hatch chile stash for this.

Not a very good plated pic, can't seem to slow myself down to arrange a plate for pics, its time to eat! 

stay healthy

ml2.thumb.jpg.e39ec93197a048fcfe74c5b95b2001ab.jpgml4.thumb.jpg.7a40f167aacc75c010c227ed5fa3af33.jpgml8.thumb.jpg.24a6a7d0f92e20ef9ad33011550f7c21.jpg  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, qundoy said:

Yesterdays meatloaf. Standard recipe for the loaf, beef, Italian sausage, eggs, peppers, onions, bread crumbs, spices, I did use BBQ sauce in place of tomato sauce in the mix and to slather the top. I also used the last of my 2019 Hatch chile stash for this.

Not a very good plated pic, can't seem to slow myself down to arrange a plate for pics, its time to eat! 

stay healthy

My wife and I buy about 100 pounds of green chile every year.  :)

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, those things are everywhere come harvest time here in NM around August through October.  I don't like Autumn roast (green and red mix) so we buy roasted chile early during the harvest to avoid the red.  We buy a lot of red as well, but we like to keep them separate.  We take the 30 pound boxes home, allow them to cool for half the day, then we pull out three Foodsavers, de-stem the chiles, pre freeze the chile so we don't suck up juices into the sealers, seal, and put into one of our freezers in the garage.  It takes up quite a bit of space!  We could buy a roaster for our disk-it, but there's a place here in Albuquerque named "Nelson's Meats" that uses pizza ovens to roast the chile.  The overs hit the chile from both sides simultaneously so you get an even, all-around char.  Another tip is to not bother peeling them prior to freezing into portions.  My wife puts the frozen chile in the microwave and it steams them a little making the peels fall right off.  :)

We New Mexicans use chile in almost everything!

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1