DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Jayson no kamado for 2 years must be killing you.
Did you say babies?
Straight for 2 KK’s.
I suppose good things come to those who wait!
Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it has been brutal without anything. Due to some other priorities, "re-grilling" our household had to wait.

Although it will probably be another year to finish the outdoor area the way we want, we will at least be back in the cook game soon.

I built an elementary setup at our last place in limited space with two Primos and really enjoyed running different temps so I didn't have to fool with adjusting the temp for different items.

I will save the rest of the details until they get here and I have pics!

Until then, this was my entry into the BBQ game at our last place many moons ago.

895055969b146ff8b934fae88f1d2e45.jpg

• Like 12

Congrats, and Welcome to the Obsession! Looking forward to the delivery and pictures. No beating around the bush - jumped right in with the double KK order! A serious upgrade to those Primos. Hopefully the 2 year hiatus won't have dampened your grilling skills.

That pooch has a serious look on its face - saying, that's my master's food in there, so you'd better keep your distance! He knows that he's going to get a reward for his guard duty!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last night's dinner - St. Louis ribs, indirect @ 325F. Hickory and peach wood in the smoker pot. Dry rubbed with 3-Eyz Original and Sucklebusters Bamm. With an hour left, brushed on some sauce (Cackalacky Cheerwine mixed with Gochujang and soy sauce).

1502914259_LockdownPorkRibs001.thumb.jpg.d3307ee1e2157ea30af1464781b077dd.jpg

Plated with airfryer tots and hushpuppies. More of that homemade cold slaw. Aioli on the side for the tots.

741672263_LockdownPorkRibs002.thumb.jpg.bd56801ec13f299f49bda4b25f011887.jpg

1305960366_LockdownPorkRibs003.thumb.jpg.b79a2f63032b405f2dd3fafb8cf25e83.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

It's nice being able to get out and cook without putting on a winter jacket.

Indeed. Even today's cook, in the mid-50s with a steady drizzle, isn't so bad. I was out in a t-shirt setting it up. Was a tad cool, but bearable. 

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] looks great. I’m fixing to spin some lamb this weekend Got a great recipe for me?

Troble try marinating the lamb in balsamic vinegar with whatever spices you like- we are loving cumin and chillies and others.
While it’s spinning, add brown sugar to the vinegar and reduce down to make a bbq sauce.
Spin direct until you smell the juices, then indirect at a reasonably high temp. 180c( 360f)
I’m sure you can add some twists in this. I’m interested to. See how it goes for you.

• Like 1

@Basher thanks I’m interested myself never cooked lamb outside of Shepard’s pie in my life. You get leg of lamb? bonesless or bone in? 

a trusted friend gave me this recipe awhile back that I’ve had saved I may give this a go. https://www.handsourced.com.au/recipes/lambtastic-saltbush-lamb-shawarma-ottolenghi/

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

So I looked at this forum yesterday and fatally found myself thinking about pizza before I had even had a coffee. Together with pondering the fact that I don't have to contend with Bears wandering around my patio. That said, coming from where I do, I can claim to have had Elephants, Lions, Buffalo, Hyaena and Jackals disrupt my outdoor cooking over the years. A mother defending her calf has nothing on me defending a Braai

Amidst what's been going on in the wider world, I've taken it as an opportunity to perfect a variety of recipes and amalgamate thinking from a variety of respected chefs, classic/authentic recipes and so on. I have a lot of cookbooks and get told off every time I buy another but now I am luxuriating in the fact that their purpose is revealed. I seem to be on an Italian streak at the moment - pizza and Tiramisu (did you know that there is a Tiramisu World Cup? But that's another post). 

I've found myself creating a tracker of all the pizza recipes and component ingredients and have been working through optimisation to my perfect recipe. I am sufficiently self aware to recognise that this will attract judgement so am counting on this being a safe place to share this. I'm rather enjoying the intellectual exercise so I've been experimenting with flour types (from different mills and varying protein levels) and am currently working on the sauce. I am yet to go through the forum and make a concerted effort to glean all the knowledge shared in relation to pizza (I think I've just absorbed bits and pieces over the years) but if anyone would like to make a contribution to this endeavour, full credit is on offer and I will of course share my learnings. Recommendations for books, sauces, KK techniques, anything goes.

Anyway, this thread is about pictures so here's the KK forum pre-coffee inspired effort from last night. When we were eating and analysing our work, we realised that the entire meal had been made from ingredients with no more than 5 food miles. Which really was reflected in the freshness and taste.

IMG_2461_AB.thumb.jpg.aab4c8fcc985e96bae4a1e643495656f.jpg

• Like 7

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] thanks I’m interested myself never cooked lamb outside of Shepard’s pie in my life. You get leg of lamb? bonesless or bone in? 

a trusted friend gave me this recipe awhile back that I’ve had saved I may give this a go. https://www.handsourced.com.au/recipes/lambtastic-saltbush-lamb-shawarma-ottolenghi/

Troble that recipe looks good.
If you are spit roasting, bone in unless you want to spice it then tie it into a roll for the rotisserie.
If you want to grill it, bone out, and bone out is easy to slice.
Either way, I like the leg and mostly bone in.
You will find a path through the leg pinning the shank close to centre for a balanced spin.
Once you try this, I’d be interested to see how you go slow cooking a shoulder in a similar way you cook your brisket.
If you can get lamb cutlets, they are like lollipops cooked rare. Cutlets cost about 3 times the price here and usually well justified. In beef world, cutlets are like an eye fillet on the rib bone. Very tender

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Basher I’ve actually cooked lamb cutlets a few times back before I met my wife. I remember doing red wine and balsamic glazed lamb cutlets in a cast iron pot, but alas given that those are best served rare and my wife’s reluctance to eat meat that’s not pink that dish has fallen out of favor, but occasionally I will order it at a restaurant work dinner or something 

i appreciate the tips on the bone in leg of lamb. I’ve had this cook on my mind ever since I read one of your posts on it back in like November or December. Eventually I want to get into spinning lamb and trying middle eastern spices/food but for this week I’ll Fuchs in getting an consistent flame over my spit and securing the meat well enough so that I don’t have to take the rotisserie off and adjust in mid cook

in definitely interested in trying the lamb shoulder experiment as well

appreciate your feedback on the topic 

• Like 1

Nice recipe, despite having to clear out the spice rack to whip it up! 😄

I actually have all of those spices in my pantry right now! 

My "house" lamb seasoning is a bit simpler - 3 parts Penzey's Greek seasoning, 2 parts Penzey's Turkish seasoning, 1 part Penzey's Berbere seasoning. No toasting, no grinding - easy, peasy! 

• Like 2

Last night's dinner - pot roast. 1 lb chuck roast, indirect, with post oak and mesquite chunks in the smoker pot, started out at 275F, but it drifted up on me after 3 hours to 325F. I wrapped it in pink butcher paper, just like a brisket, at an IT of 165F. Rubbed with Gunpowder and Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks. 

Just before wrapping.

1003357270_LockdownChuckRoast002.thumb.jpg.60f6cc9de67e82a663d7bb5824bc1ead.jpg

788966346_LockdownChuckRoast003.thumb.jpg.b12614c345678370b30e69af06ee78df.jpg

Pulled off at an IT of 204F. Plated with sous vide mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. Side salad.

And Yes, I drank the f-ing Merlot! 

445186661_LockdownChuckRoast004.thumb.jpg.34cc76011017f107bec6326f759e0220.jpg

229233607_LockdownChuckRoast005.thumb.jpg.737c1eb4e8da03d3a26b51b1d44e18f5.jpg

Leftovers made a nice open faced sandwich for lunch today. (no pics of that, you'll just have to imagine it!)

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, tony b said:

Last night's dinner - pot roast. 1 lb chuck roast, indirect, with post oak and mesquite chunks in the smoker pot, started out at 275F, but it drifted up on me after 3 hours to 325F. I wrapped it in pink butcher paper, just like a brisket, at an IT of 165F. Rubbed with Gunpowder and Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks. 

That looks pretty awesome. I've never done a chuck roast like that but I would like to give it a shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1