DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Tonight I’ll spin a pork loin marinated in oak aged balsamic with white truffle.
Then spiced with pepper- purple and black, garlic, chillie and paprika.
150a4c27f2d1016ad67bf0ea19716273.jpg
Half an hour into the spin I’ll add the double bottom drip pan with spuds, onion and bacon.
c6ecded289a001960fe1820ca59354f0.jpg
Not sure how this will go and the timing- maybe an hour with the 1 and 1/2 hour spin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 low and slow cooks this long weekend here in the states.

Today is a pork butt with a rub from Oakland Spice Shop, which we highly recommend...one of those businesses with a rabid local following who might not make it through the virus. 

Tomorrow is brisket, which I don't have much experience with and will be doing some research on these forums later today. Last brisket was mostly not great as brisket, but worked great as a stew the next day.

image.thumb.png.8d95c0c52e1254ee098e4d57a5032cf4.png

image.thumb.png.6e52cbb477535abe1018bb109b76d43e.png

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, oakland said:

2 low and slow cooks this long weekend here in the states.

Today is a pork butt with a rub from Oakland Spice Shop, which we highly recommend...one of those businesses with a rabid local following who might not make it through the virus. 

Tomorrow is brisket, which I don't have much experience with and will be doing some research on these forums later today. Last brisket was mostly not great as brisket, but worked great as a stew the next day.

You're off to a great start. One thing I've noticed on brisket, the better grade of beef, the more I look like a chef genius. More so than any other cut.

I like the looks of that black tile.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

If you haven't tried the Franklin method for brisket, I highly recommend it. The key is once you clear the stall, around 165 - 170F, wrap the brisket in pink butcher paper for the rest of the cook (IT = 203F), then wrap everything (yes, leave the brisket in the paper) in foil, a towel and toss into a cooler for at hour or so. Then unwrap and enjoy a nice, juicy brisket. I won't shuck out the bucks for Wagyu, but I will pay for Prime grade. 

The only deviation, is if you want to make burnt ends, separate the point from the flat before you put it in the foil; then wrap the flat per the above. The cube up the point, season (wet or dry or both), put into an open foil pan and put back on the KK for about another hour. Meat Candy!

• Like 4

Another Friday night steak dinner in lockdown! A nice Denver steak from the local butcher. Seasoned with Gunpowder and Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks. Started out on the half grate (direct), then dropped down to the lower grate for the final sear. Mesquite chunks.

30080697_LockdownSteakNight8001.thumb.jpg.daff8052f7bf0e1d71fc73668061f517.jpg

Plated with air fryer potato wedges (sprayed with duck fat) and creamed spinach with mushrooms. Chimichurri sauce on the steak. Wine is a TJ's Malbec. 

802802188_LockdownSteakNight8003.thumb.jpg.c4f3321f2f8547c0198f64b0a4bde026.jpg

2123238454_LockdownSteakNight8004.thumb.jpg.426896dd29a7c07ea134c6130ae3967e.jpg

My dog, Kipper, waiting, not so patiently, for me to take the pictures and give him a treat! 

• Like 10

Been prepping for this cook in my head fir months. Bought the meat Wednesday. Marinated it for two days. got the bone in leg of lamb even though my butcher told me I was crazy to do bone in on a rotisserie. 

I was very happy with the results. First time cooking a piece of lamb this big and let alone on the rotisserie. I may have slightly overcooked it but it the flavors were in point 

served with Mediterranean chickpea salad and homemade Tadziki 

Quite possibly the most fun/enjoyable cook of my life. Very happy with the first effort  

33918B11-5545-43E0-B88D-9E622A73BA8D.jpeg

8E5CCCDA-9BE1-4A17-9334-7F79448FD393.jpeg

9CB263CC-0089-44E7-B0BA-CF7F145B5E47.jpeg

2161FDCF-9DEF-479F-8747-C77423A787EE.jpeg

1D432B5F-3BDC-4D4B-B687-C4F50E62274A.jpeg

59C92AEE-C1D2-46BD-81AB-00540FECA2AD.jpeg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, tony b said:

If you haven't tried the Franklin method for brisket, I highly recommend it. The key is once you clear the stall, around 165 - 170F, wrap the brisket in pink butcher paper for the rest of the cook (IT = 203F), then wrap everything (yes, leave the brisket in the paper) in foil, a towel and toss into a cooler for at hour or so. Then unwrap and enjoy a nice, juicy brisket. I won't shuck out the bucks for Wagyu, but I will pay for Prime grade. 

The only deviation, is if you want to make burnt ends, separate the point from the flat before you put it in the foil; then wrap the flat per the above. The cube up the point, season (wet or dry or both), put into an open foil pan and put back on the KK for about another hour. Meat Candy!

22 hours ago, Steve M said:

You're off to a great start. One thing I've noticed on brisket, the better grade of beef, the more I look like a chef genius. More so than any other cut.

I like the looks of that black tile.

Thanks Tony and Steve!

Yeah, I have/love the Franklin book, and will be rereading it tonight. Have the correct butcher paper, which I haven't used before. But, any excuse to spend a few bucks to add another tool to the arsenal, right?

Agreed on good meat. We're lucky enough in life that this is now a given. This brisket is from Marin Sun Farms here in CA, but...they are 100% grass fed, which is a big Franklin No No working against me, I think (next time I'll be sure to go grain finished). Our weekly meat CSA is also grass only...sooooo...gonna have to source some grain finished brisket. Shouldn't be too hard, just not as easy during virus times. 

I'll report on the brisket tomorrow!

Edited by oakland
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, oakland said:

Agreed on good meat. We're lucky enough in life that this is now a given. This brisket is from Marin Sun Farms here in CA, but...they are 100% grass fed, which is a big Franklin No No working against me, I think (next time I'll be sure to go grain finished). Our weekly meat CSA is also grass only...sooooo...gonna have to source some grain finished brisket. Shouldn't be too hard, just not as easy during virus times. 

I've scored Prime grade full packers at CostCo before. I didn't look the last time I was in there, as I was just shopping for the Prime ribeyes. 

• Like 2

Did something a little different for dinner last night - alder wood planked salmon. Dizzy Pig Raging River, white onion and tomato (dusted with lemon myrtle). Direct, main grate, 325F. Grape vine pieces for smoke.

2054846216_LockdownSalmon001.thumb.jpg.776e2f50e9b778fd525dd51e15ccefdc.jpg

Plated with roasted broccoli and scallions, with a nice chermoula sauce. Hasselback dinner rolls with garlic and green onion tops. Wine is a nice Chardonnay/Viognier blend.

1317686966_LockdownSalmon003.thumb.jpg.53803d110cc30f6c106d5f3dd79b313a.jpg

1919550485_LockdownSalmon004.thumb.jpg.cea0d0e6fca3ac72f6316a677cfefb2b.jpg

• Like 8