DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

10 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Now, AJR, you need to tell us how you do them. :grin:

Very simple, there are a hundred different recipes online under quick pickled onions.  Basically a red onion sliced thin (a mandolin slicer works great for this), stuffed into a jar.

Then simmer one cup of water, one cup of your favorite light colored vinegar (apple cider is what I used, but Champaign vinegar or red wine vinegar also work great), 1tsp salt, 1 tsp honey or maple syrup, a few red pepper flakes for heat.  Once hot, pour over the onions. When they come to room temperature, they’re good to eat (30-45 minutes).  You can also add in other seasonings, pepper corns, cumin for a Mexican flare, Asian seasonings for a more Asian pickled onion, etc.  They should last about three weeks in the fridge but are best the first week. They are great on just about anything you would like an onion on without the overpowering sharpness of a raw one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ha, Aussie is right. 9c is about 50f. That’s midnight here in the east and about the same in the west- mid winter.
Aussie that’s a cracking looking winter lamb stew. Making me warm on our coldest night this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

With out the snow you would be surprised how cold it can get down here .with the rain when we are used to 30 plus c and it drops to 9

From 30* C (86* F) to 9* C  (48* F)  That is a crazy drop in temp.  However MacKenzie would be sitting on her deck or planting flowers in 9* C weather  😃  

Edited by Jon B.
spelling...again!!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Basher said:

Ha, Aussie is right. 9c is about 50f. That’s midnight here in the east and about the same in the west- mid winter.
Aussie that’s a cracking looking winter lamb stew. Making me warm on our coldest night this year.

When springtime comes in snow country,  9*C / 48*F feels really warm...............when fall-winter starts after summer in snow country, we are freezing also in 9*C / 48*F weather.  

5 minutes ago, Basher said:

When springtime comes in snow country,  9*C / 48*F feels really warm...............when fall-winter starts after summer in snow country, we are freezing also in 9*C / 48*F weather.  

• Like 1

Dinner of grilled boneless chicken breasts, a nice slab of red onion, and a tasty hard roll. Direct, 325F, cherry wood.

1649026252_GrilledChickenBoobs001.thumb.jpg.73ed2e135933f8557e8fe489c3f6ecbc.jpg

Plated with pineapple salsa and a nice tomato & cucumber salad with feta cheese. Pleasant Italian white table wine. Beautiful evening on the deck. 

1185998916_GrilledChickenBoobs002.thumb.jpg.eae9ec9aa9ed56b5e5b2a823119ffdd1.jpg

• Like 5