DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Troble, that DOES look goood. I hope "The Girls" loved it.:smt055

Thanks Mac they don’t eat it. It’s too spicy for them. Aji Amarillo is a very spicy Peruvian pepper. I’ve given my oldest a taste when I made a less spicy version and she loved it but my wife and I like the heat so this dish is for parents 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, thought I was posting to this topic earlier. Brisket is coming along well and Ole Heavy has been stuck on 225 all day, so nice to have that stability. I was going to wrap in butcher paper but decided to leave it as is for now because the internal temp is tracking well for dinner tonight. Few more hours to go!

4E402857-2102-405D-9E81-CB726C9ABB6F.jpeg

• Like 5

Just finished dinner, brisket turned out great! Best one I’ve made yet, and I’m really happy with it, but I already know an adjustment or two that’ll make it better. Family said it was by far the best and they love having the KK around producing all this goodness. Ole Heavy ran 13 hours solid at 225 indirect on CoCo coal. Fun day! 162A5727-CB6C-4592-ADDC-9344ECDD79B3.thumb.jpeg.bc1e7ddfb9b55b396ab610263e401de5.jpeg

4BC3E0CC-BA17-4189-BC14-F30B968E2B88.jpeg

E2D74D4C-77B4-4CDE-9DA1-C547DB3033A5.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Troble said:

@HokieBen great looking brisket! Nice work. Just curious what adjustments would you make in the future?

I’ve been improving on trimming the brisket, that’s my biggest area I’m learning. My last brisket I trimmed too much and it came out a little dry. This one was way better and more moist, but I didn’t trim quite enough fat off top so it didn’t render and darken as much as I would like. I would trim more off top next run for sure. 

This cook I went with butcher paper too and really like it. I would wrap it a bit earlier next time though. I was trying to let it darker and get more bark this cook before wrapping but the fat layer was just too thick. I’d wrap earlier next time to speed cook up and bit. 

Thats the two immediate adjustments I would make. Everything on the KK side was rock solid, made it a much more relaxing cook because temp stayed right where I wanted all day. Previous brisket runs have been more high maintenance so the KK will spoil me quickly. 

• Like 4

@Aussie Ora that meat is cooked just the way I like it looks absolutely perfect to me 

@HokieBen those are good observations. I took the Aaron Franklin MasterClass and my biggest takeaway from that was on trimming. It really sets you up for success. I also found cooking brisket on the KK easier because you can “set it and forget it”. Just curious though how long did you let it rest?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Troble said:

Just curious though how long did you let it rest?

I let it rest 1 hour in a cooler wrapped in a towel. I've watched a bunch of Aaron Franklin videos online so I'm understanding better what the goal of the trimming is BUT, the only way to learn is hands on trial and error and it only takes you about 12 hours or so to figure out you made a misstep LOL. It's part of the fun though. If a brisket was easy anyone would do it so I like the challenge. It still turned out great but it didn't have the bark on top I'm after. That's really neat you took that class, I see ads for it online all the time. Can't wait to see one of your brisket pics on the forum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieBen said:

I let it rest 1 hour in a cooler wrapped in a towel. I've watched a bunch of Aaron Franklin videos online so I'm understanding better what the goal of the trimming is BUT, the only way to learn is hands on trial and error and it only takes you about 12 hours or so to figure out you made a misstep LOL. It's part of the fun though. If a brisket was easy anyone would do it so I like the challenge. It still turned out great but it didn't have the bark on top I'm after. That's really neat you took that class, I see ads for it online all the time. Can't wait to see one of your brisket pics on the forum!

My wife got me the MasterClass for Christmas last year. It was good. I ended up getting the yearly login cause it’s not too much more vs. a single class and I watched couple of cooking series and a gardening one so I liked it.

I cooked brisket last week if you scroll back a couple pages you’ll see some pics 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HokieBen said:

Ah, just looked back and it looks great! You got the bark I'm looking for, nice one!

I’ve found that the key to a great bark is to apply a generous rub and then spray it every 30-60 minutes after 5-6 hours with the lid shut initially. I spray the sh*t out of my briskets 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Troble said:

I’ve found that the key to a great bark is to apply a generous rub and then spray it every 30-60 minutes after 5-6 hours with the lid shut initially. I spray the sh*t out of my briskets 

Are you spraying them with apple cider vinegar or something similar?