DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

30 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Thanks for the context @Braai-Q.  I too hate A1 for having such a lovely lunch, properly soaked in butter, while I had to shove reheated rice down quickly in between Teams meetings today.  

It's not always like that, some days we rough it with caviar. 

I buy your rationale.  When cooking big I sometimes hit the limits, literally, with my 23 and I am looking forward to my 32 being more than adequate for my needs.  I expect the 16 will be perfect for making my very own lunchtime steak sandwich.

It depends how big your steak sandwich is. From someone who had to break off from a conversation with me with words to the effect of 'My cow has arrived', I don't see you messing about with the minnow too often!

So glad to have been of assistance!

As always. I'm glad to see your corrupting influence is being plied to @RokDok together with some sterling dying seconds of an order completion by @jonjon the rib rack. This forum might be free but it costs a lot being part of the community. 😁 

• Haha 5

Lobster season started in San Diego yesterday. We get spiny lobsters which don’t have claws but have lots of tail meat. 

funny thing is I haven’t cooked lobster in 20 years. It was actually one of the first things I ever grilled when I bought my first house in 2001 and I distinctly remembering grilling 4 things. Bourbon sausages, baseball cut sirloin steaks, cheese burgers and lobster always paired (all 4 of my dishes were served with sweet corn and a baked potato)

I only cooked on my first propane grill. Lobster might sound weird but I lived around the corner from the fish market and they sold it $10/lb in season....this is circa 2001. They’d clean it and give me a tail and I’d grill it and thought I was fancy....and it was cheap 

I moved downtown for a bit a didnt  have a grill  for awhile and whenI finally got back to grilling they were selling our lobsters to China for $35/lb so we never had them. Due to COVID and restaurants being closed etc all the local fisherman have tons of lobster. Today it was $16/lb. 

I cooked it in the KK at 375 basted with butter, garlic, salt, pepper and chives. Served with Yukon good mashed potatoes with sour cream, Parmesan, chives and garlic  and grilled asparagus over mesquite wood with coco char 

freaking amazing! My wife didn't like lobster, it’s not something we really order out but she loved it tonight. I’ll be cooking it again while this lobster is in season 

B5C80CE2-B8E8-49DE-B47E-30DB6C52CA0A.jpeg

A259426A-2D7E-45B8-A789-51230C27C603.jpeg

F61E7484-51DD-44E3-8817-72B029BC6D6F.jpeg

F38B717D-6657-4600-A695-BD62C2225158.jpeg

E54095B2-A12A-42B4-9EE3-57A0A9546035.jpeg

34780339-6057-4272-A07C-119EBFB455A7.jpeg

8FC30172-B315-4377-B5C8-4AEAC27AD677.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Excellent timing once again Troble. I have some crayfish tails in my freezer and was going to use up a voucher my wife gave me for a chef to come over and teach me how to make some good sauces for crayfish and also steaks.( This chef also loves his new Kamado Joe- Dennis, get ready for another shipment to Brisbane)

This recipe will also be tried- it looks very simple.

https://www.foodservicenews.com.au/recipes/recipe-lennox-hastie-s-frilled-marron-finger-lime-and-native-herbs

• Like 2

@Basher for what it’s worth I watched this video. This guy Tommy is my seafood Yoda. He has taught me so much about seafood and cooking. This is old video he did on cleaning lobsters. I did everything right up to the final pull. He’s my local fishmonger so I go shoot the shit with him and he pretty much taught me everything I know about seafood.....although my seafood grilling has gone down exponentially with my KK purchase 

I simply did butter, garlic, salt, pepper, chive. I am going to probably do this again once a week till the season runs out. Absolutely loved it 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 6:23 PM, Troble said:

@tony b I should also mention that I always double or triple the garlic called in almost every recipe I use. That Peruvian sauce bring no exception. I use a lot of garlic 

I hear yah! I'm not shy at all when it comes to using garlic. No vampire worries here! LOL!!!

Those spiny lobsters remind me of the Caribbean. Try a Jamaican jerk style. I know it sounds crazy, but it works! 

btw - I spotted that Pliny in the background. I suspect it was put there for my benefit - ha, ha! 

• Like 1

We're in the middle of Indian Summer here. Taking advantage as much as I can. Did some tile cleaning and touched up the grout in spots on the KK to get it ready for winter.

Last night was a Cajun spiced pork chop, direct, main grate, over hickory and apple chunks. 

1765136934_IndianSummerPorkChop001.thumb.jpg.f7202c3e3475c14d200d8ea11a853397.jpg

Paired with a wild rice medley and Mexican street corn (local stuff is gone, so had to settle for frozen. 😢 )

1656281919_IndianSummerPorkChop002.thumb.jpg.56ea73a405fbd7e3ccc05f674ff0d567.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

Nice cook Aussie- Troble has stolen your rib cook.
Troble I imagine you have read through that book by now. It’s gold.

Very simple to understand, but also some challenging recipes.
Smoked water on hand and tomato water?????
I’ll work my way through some of his recipes...... after working through this gravlax cured tassie salmon.
7b0c87be285d5e0cdd968589edfafb62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Troble said:

@tony b it was placed there for you. I’m looking for a  good jerk rub. My boss is from Jamaica and I want to be able to cook him some bad ass chicken if/when he comes over. What’s the best jerk rub you’d recommend?

Best stuff is actually a paste. I have a couple of "go to's" -

Walkerswood (https://smile.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Traditional-Jamaican-Seasoning-Ounce/dp/B07D9YDQNT)

JCS Boston Bay (https://www.amazon.com/Jamaican-Boston-Seasoning-Bundle-Bottles/dp/B0181C74DE)

Dizzy Pig makes a dry rub that's not too bad either. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dizzy-Pig-Jamaican-Firewalk-Spice/dp/B005PIPGBU

Just so happens, Mon, that I did some jerk chicken for dinner last night! Marinated for 3 days. I like to mix the paste with dark rum to thin it out for an extra kick. BUT, the real key is to smoke it with pimento wood - traditional style, straight up Rasta, Mon! I used the smoker pot with pimento wood chips, leaves and allspice berries. I started them out at 325F, indirect - seeing as they were boneless breasts, but finished them off direct to get a bit more color.

001.thumb.JPG.e015de8a493c3b91e2a6d26ca50ab210.JPG

1430703182_YahMon-JerkChickenDinner002.thumb.jpg.d3e1ca6df291ebf8df67be47510ec621.jpg

Plated with herbed rice (parsley, cilantro, scallions, basil and thyme) and drunken black beans (no pigeon peas around here). I put a splash of rum in the beans, along with epazote and scallions. Hush puppies just seem to go "wid it." Unfortunately, no Red Stripes! 

1333660290_YahMon-JerkChickenDinner003.thumb.jpg.2ed0c26b18029313726e50f71fb57eab.jpg

• Like 6

@tony b thanks I will definitely look into it. That’s pretty ironic timing on the inquiry though.

my buddy sent me a picture this morning of his plate from last night. He’s been trying to not meat for many months but he eventually gave in and had a 1/2 rack of ribs.....and took a 1/2 rack home 

05D186C7-8DC1-4A3C-BDE7-4DDD895CAD0D.jpeg

• Like 4

Thinking that today might be the last day of Indian Summer, decided to celebrate with a nice steak dinner. Prime grade rib-eye cap, with garlic pepper rub internally, and Gunpowder on the outside. Direct, on the lower grate, with a chunk of bourbon barrel stave. (Note: I deconstructed it by taking off the original butcher's twine, seasoning it, and then putting it back together with a combo of skewers and twine.)

1792151623_LastNightofIndianSummerSteakDinner002.thumb.jpg.56b170b4a7a6e6ffefea14087501d012.jpg

Plated with a HUGE 2x baked potato and sautéed mushrooms. Was gifted some lovely raspberries from friends who have bushes in their backyard, so onto a nice arugula salad with Roquefort cheese. I had taken some of the raspberries and made a nice vinegar with them, which went onto the salad, too.

1626993424_LastNightofIndianSummerSteakDinner001.thumb.jpg.e176c135fd2a2ee19e53753edee48929.jpg

Plated!

1220165971_LastNightofIndianSummerSteakDinner004.thumb.jpg.8dea1211de24447b3f5c1fa71c98f5f1.jpg

• Like 7