DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

I was fishing around in the freezer and discovered that I had a dairy cow brisket. This was Thursday. I put it on last night and gave myself the perfect opportunity to test the new Fireboard 2. 

Simple homemade rub (think it's a variation on Meathead's brisket rub). 110°C for 14 hours. The temperature showed 1-1.5°C variation throughout the whole cook on ambient and then held with no further intervention for a further 16 hours. The app on the FB2 is really well thought out and a pleasure to use. I smoked it using whisky barrel wood and should have soaked it for more smoke but didn't want to overpower the cook. Lesson learned for next time.  Soak the wood. I did it on the 19KK as I feel it has been neglected of late. It emerged with a lovely wobble, bark and smoke ring.

Once I'd wrapped the brisket and it was resting, I put the last of our tomato crop in to roast - they're predominantly green - around 4 kilograms of San Marzano and Cherokee Purple. That'll be turned into a salsa - a 'Tomatillo' Salsa Verde. I have no idea if substituting green tomatoes for tomatillo will work but we'll see. 

I recently ordered some Angus & Oink Scotch Bonnet ketchup with some regular AO BBQ ketchup. I wasn't paying attention to the labels (the bottles are identical) when I plated and served myself a liberal dose of Scotch Bonnet. Mrs BQ described the smell of it as 'scorned and angry'. Fortunately, I can handle hot sauce but I'm suffering from a cold at the moment and my sense of smell didn't detect it. Male bravado is a fine thing and I think I've intimidated the cold because my sinuses have since cleared. So if you like a hot sauce, AO Rampant Angus Scotch Bonnet is pretty good and has a depth of flavour versus just being about the burn. Even better if you have a cold it seems.

IMG_5005_jpg.thumb.JPG.74e1e98fc1f8a830c1aabe3e23eafdf6.JPG

• Like 7

Seems like ribs are the cook of the day. Last nice day for the week (we might actually see some snow flakes in the morning!), so a 1/2 rack of baby backs on the main grate, indirect, smoker pot of coffee wood and apple, initially at 250F, but it crept up to about 275F after about 2 1/2 hours. Why, DNK?? Didn't touch a thing and there's almost no wind. Rub was a mix of Eat This BBQ and Lane's Signature, with a dash of purple crack.

1356278298_FatBastardRibs002.thumb.jpg.9c9f342bd1b2cf6a86e005c90de9308e.jpg

Plated with my signature potato salad (yeah, it's that good!) and some Taiwanese street corn (oyster sauce, Gochujang, rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, and cilantro.)

2120940157_FatBastardRibs004.thumb.jpg.52ecd4ca5ad557615fdfdd686dcdbf60.jpg

• Like 6

Wife wanted to run it back on the lobster dish. So I went to the dockside harbor market today what a treasure. Picked up 4 live lobsters plus a fresh CA King Salmon which is my favorite fish ever. Best part is you get to talk to the fisherman that actually caught the fish and it’s literally “fresh off the boat” 

the woman who caught my salmon was telling me how  it’s so much better because it’s salt water salmon not freshwater and she had about 15 of these  fish to sell. I grabbed one now have to figure out how to break it down properly....but tonights was lobster tails basted with butter, garlic, salt, pepper, chives and parsley from the garden. Served with grilled asparagus brushed with the same base as the lobster and served with mashed potatoes (garlic, Parmesan, sour cream, chives, butter, heavy cream). Finished with a savignon blanc from Marlborough New Zealand....incredible 

my cook/prep took to long for the kids to eat lobster so I was forced to eat 2 & 1/2 lobster or 5 tails which I did so under protest 😀

I know @MacKenzie hates seafood but it would be a crime against food if I did not cook CA lobster and CA king salmon. Those are arguably two of the top seafood products in the world and certainly are the top two in my region. When they are in season and available you go....no questions asked sorry Mac

E133E2D0-4933-4238-A017-B332D9B8A07A.jpeg

9CE41886-3C97-4020-8375-2007357B3A22.jpeg

201D81C5-0414-40CB-AF9B-326959479CA1.jpeg

5CD8344E-E564-4E62-A91F-27E0B4F4D86D.jpeg

7098D835-CF48-4283-B0EB-414931A00568.jpeg

53F0B7A3-C464-48D5-922E-B47A1015CA7E.jpeg

29370B8D-2DD0-47E3-A331-B28383A7F4E6.jpeg

DA18F877-40B3-4836-BE89-913BBE1B5AF0.png

57D89ED0-0099-4A1F-B6AF-FCE04B107DC5.jpeg

FA7E131E-103A-425B-8108-1F11E7F60FE7.jpeg

3B44C3F6-5DF2-4341-8747-A890CF892C01.jpeg

6254CC17-EB58-4D59-A7BD-990A60591A9E.jpeg

CCE0851D-416D-4494-847F-CF139F181943.jpeg

7D2A5BEA-B2E5-46C4-9992-D1C95F906030.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 12

12 hours ago, alimac23 said:

This was from an amazing butchers called Bully Butcher, they had some incredible Futari Wagyu cuts yesterday, check out the prices on these beef short ribs, $296 per rack!!!!

Wow, wish I had a Bully Butcher near me! That is an amazing display. Expensive, yes, but I would take some comfort knowing it was there if I needed it 😀

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Troble said:

I know @MacKenzie hates seafood but it would be a crime against food if I did not cook CA doing lobster and CA king salmon. Those are arguably two of the top seafood products in the world and certainly are the top two in my region. When they are in season and available you go....no questions asked sport Mac

That was quite a list of available seafood. Those lobster tails are beautiful.

• Like 2

@Steve M yes the selection is crazy, which was why I posted the menu. They do it every Saturday and it’s literally whatever the fishing leet caught that week. Before my KK I grilled salmon 2-3x week and I’ve fallen off that some. But I’ll be doing salmon tonight 😀

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Troble said:

@Steve M yes the selection is crazy, which was why I posted the menu. They do it every Saturday and it’s literally whatever the dish g fleet caught that week. Before my KK I grilled salmon 2-3x week and I’ve fallen off that some. But I’ll be doing salmon tonight 😀

@Troble I live in Somerset, UK and there is a local charity called the Durston Trust to benefit all his family members with the surname Durston in perpetuity. It was set up by a Captain Thomas Durston who died in 1686 and took part in the last land battle in the UK at the Battle of Sedgemoor near where I live.

The reason for mentioning this is that salmon was so cheap and plentiful that the labourers of the time were fed it all the time. In fact it was not uncommon that labourers had in their contracts of employment that they were not to be fed salmon and asparagus more than three times a week. The joke is that the current executors of the charity have a meeting once a year to dispense the money to Durston heirs and it is prescribed that the meal has to be Salmon and Asparagus :-)

• Like 6
  • Haha 2