DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

17 hours ago, tony b said:

Nice suya cook!! It's SUPPOSED to be killer hot! Same with the peri-peri chicken. That's why man invented yogurt and ice cream! Unfortunately, they don't help with the burn upon exit! 🤣

Thanks Tony. I appreciate that but I don't think Mrs BQ did. I love Peri Peri Chicken in an unhealthy way and like it hot but I sometimes forget that I have to knock it back a bit for Mrs BQ. But I'll give her credit, she has worked up to the final stages of Hot Mountain having previously been a lost wanderer in the foothills of mild.

Your comment about exit made me chuckle and reminds me of a TV ad which I recall was South African. I also can't remember which inappropriately phonetically named relief cream it was for but it featured a black screen and a piece of metal pipe heating up so all you saw was this circle and some of the depth of the pipe. The tip was glowing from white to orange to red. Cut to the end frame and product shot. Background hissing sound fx (of something hot being immersed into water) and v/o 'Product X. For instant relief'. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hey there. Good looking cook @Braai-Q.  You got a load more suya pepper than our friends over the pond - postage costs are a killer.

Now, I don't want y'all to scare people off trying suya.  Even in Nigeria people like different levels of heat and the street food guys use suya pepper at a level that just flavours the meat nicely before they grill it. Once cooked you get your suya sliced, placed in a newspaper wrapping and they then add extra suya pepper if you need more to suit your taste.  And yes, I like it hot!

Thanks @tekobo, I'm not here to scare people. It's a wonderful blend and I encourage anyone reading to try it. I did a comprehensive job of dry brining and really worked the Suya into the meat and compounded this with marinading. As skirt has quite an open structure, it penetrated the meat really well. Some might say too well. I must confess to not having cut it with onions and tomatoes which much like a Masala, I would expect would make all the difference. I have in mind a Raita to go with it next time but constructed with a Tahini base, I'll just need to reduce the viscosity of the Tahini a little. 

• Like 2

Fat Bastard would have loved last night's baby back ribs - LOL!

Indirect (there's that damn pesky thin sheet of aluminum foil again - ha, ha!), smoker pot of hickory and apple, 250F. Rubbed with Eat This & Sucklebusters Bamm.

43567524_FBsFavorite001.thumb.jpg.227a6c2fa84c59176064cfd5de57bc7b.jpg

Plated with tots w/Green Crack, side salad and crusty bread.

1076351414_FBsFavorite002.thumb.jpg.c19b859eddaa96057cbbc9866ce271ce.jpg

1854617027_FBsFavorite003.thumb.jpg.429bb145b181e7594e987e0497c80b0b.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 6

IMG_5336.thumb.JPG.8bf6a84bd494ce7fc5ae79ad051e0ea1.JPG

Did a Porchetta on the KK last night with Apple and Pear wood. Came out fine but it was a bit fattier than I like. Served up with Sicilian Caponata as I got a bit carried away and bought a few too many aubergines at the  local farm shop when I was there the other day.

I just did a drive by on the dish while in the fridge (Caponata is superb cold as well) on the way to getting milk out for my morning coffee. Had to make myself stop at one large spoonful. Breakfast of champions! 😆

IMG_5339.thumb.JPG.9cb9e5221114625da8e83bbf52619f3c.JPG

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Sir Bill said:

@Braai-QHad this for the first time on a skiing holiday in the Italian Dolomites - absolutely fabulous and when I eventually (I hope get a KK) it will be on the menu :-)

Excellent thinking. Do you remember the predominant flavour in the one you tried? In my experience, wild fennel or rosemary are the key ingredients (depending on region). You've got to use fresh Thyme as well, it makes a huge difference. 

It's one of those recipes that I tweak every time I do it and I think I have about 10 very good recipes that I've pulled elements from but I'm always interested in tweaks and variations. 

There are all sorts of nuances to the cook - like leaving the meat out overnight and drying the skin with paper towel to make sure it doesn't have any excess moisture. I bought mine from the butcher yesterday and while the flavour profile is good, I didn't have time to draw moisture from the skin sufficiently. The skin is more chewy plastic than crispy as a result. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Braai-Q, what a gorgeous cook, lovely colour and it looks so moist too. :smt055

Thanks Mac, yeah, it ate better today funnily enough. My complaint was that it felt a little fatty last night but the flavours developed and it firmed up. Had it in sandwiches with the balance of Caponata. I managed to stop myself drifting past the fridge with a spoon too often to ensure there was enough left for lunch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

It's one of those recipes that I tweak every time I do it and I think I have about 10 very good recipes that I've pulled elements from but I'm always interested in tweaks and variations. 

You sound exactly like me! 

The one time that I tried to do a porchetta, the skin was as you described - chewy, taffy-like and not crispy. 

2 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Do you remember the predominant flavour in the one you tried?

@Braai-Q My recollection was a herb filling with rosemary and thyme being the strongest, but not overwhelming, flavours - the thing was the crackling which was divine and it was in a bread bun that was about 10 inches across with an apple sauce - just delicious. I believe although I ate this in Northern Italy this is a Roman dish. The other thing is where I was eating it .....

E9092D9A-6982-4099-B6B8-F8BAD651522A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Mac, nice plate. Made me think if you had a large contingent of Portuguese in your area. Not often you would see this ethnic food unless a number of cultural people were by to represent it. As you travel further west, the likelihood of coming across it diminishes.  I prefer the Linguica over the chorizo, and as a matter of fact this morning I had Chorizo mixed with my scrambled...fancy that. Nothing like a Linguica sandwich on a toasted bun with yellow mustard. Sorry, talk too much,..

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tony b said:

You sound exactly like me! 

The one time that I tried to do a porchetta, the skin was as you described - chewy, taffy-like and not crispy. 

I've always been surprised by how much moisture the skin carries and the difference that letting it sit out uncovered for 10-12 hours or so makes to the crispiness of the skin. I then pat dry with paper towel to ensure it is as dry as possible before it goes on the rotisserie. Then cook it at about 150°C. I find you get it much crispier if you have it directly over coal but you have to watch for flare ups and it makes a bit of a mess unless you put a container under the coals. I have been known to put foil at the bottom of the KK to make clean up less awful. 

It's a fabulous dish on the KK, particularly when you can impart some smoke from flavoured wood. 

This is what it should look like:

porchetta-20.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sir Bill said:

@Braai-Q My recollection was a herb filling with rosemary and thyme being the strongest, but not overwhelming, flavours - the thing was the crackling which was divine and it was in a bread bun that was about 10 inches across with an apple sauce - just delicious. I believe although I ate this in Northern Italy this is a Roman dish. The other thing is where I was eating it .....

E9092D9A-6982-4099-B6B8-F8BAD651522A.jpeg

That sounds pretty amazing. It's a pity about the view but sometimes you can't have everything....

Edited by Braai-Q
^have
  • Haha 1