DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

https://minimalistbaker.com/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

Made this soup today for the first time but not the last. I did substitute chicken broth for the veggie broth that I didn't have on hand.

Veggies ready to roast.

1086344129_ReadytoRoast.thumb.jpg.7e269ef4cb050c1af2cbe496af367de1.jpg

Soup is done and ready to blend in the Vitamix.

1841525942_SoupIsCooked.thumb.jpg.0508985794b39607a2a0b3259cb37155.jpg

Ready to serve, except it is not for dinner today.

1493799783_RoastedSquashSoup.thumb.jpg.f5f1cf61291d9936375285fa17448fb8.jpg

Having burnt ends, spaetzle, carmelized onions and cooked squash passed thru the spaetzla maker.

203917845_BurntEndsDinner.thumb.jpg.f2153958fe66d8d303e00d3c59d10e56.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 10

Citrus brined chicken with fresh Rosemary. Cooked over lump and red oak on the rotisserie.  4 breasts 2 leg quaters and 4 skinless thighs with room for more. Glazed with a sweet mustard sauce to finish. By bringing the forks into each other it minimizes movement which secures the meat, no string. As the meat firms up the little jiggling you had disappears.

DSCF3196.JPG

DSCF3198.JPG

DSCF3207.JPG

• Like 10

We're gonna pitch a Wing, Ding Doodle, all night long! Wing night, direct, lower grate (trying to balance crispy with not overcooking them), 325F dome, peach wood. Half rubbed with Suya pepper rub, the other half with Hot Wing Dust. 

73574394_WingDingDoodle002.thumb.jpg.962fda8a9b2776a1f3e54618115aff36.jpg

Plated with airfryer tater tots, with Peruvian green sauce and carrot/celery/cucumber sticks with blue cheese dressing.

1765653753_WingDingDoodle003.thumb.jpg.d0c304c786b859b05cfa79c8685a0b78.jpg

A nice homebrewed pilsner to go with it all!

61135807_WingDingDoodle004.thumb.jpg.734e4a4bc98511b2afc2f13eadb2ab9b.jpg

• Like 9

@Tyrus I also like to put apple (Fuji or Honeycrisp) in my butternut squash soup. BTW your chicken cook looks great. I’ve never seen your grill before but that looks cool. What is it? Looks kind of like a Santa Maria grill that I see here in CA but without the pulley.

@tony bthat looks like a perfect meal to me 

@MacKenzie perfect looking plate as always 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nailed this prime ribeye cap steak last night. Sides are ugly but done right instant mash potatoes are one of life's guilty pleasures.

1/2 basket cocochar with some leftover fogo and/or coffee char (I forget what was in my leftover bowl I keep in a cabinet next to the KK). 

Indirect on main grate about 270 then up to 310 when wife started complaining that I was running much later than my estimate. Pulled at 118 internal and opened the blast furnace. tossed back on and alternated about 45 seconds per side on sear grate until internal hit 125, then I just kept it on the less seared side a little over a minute and pulled for the final rest before we ate.

edit to add this line: Didn't cut too early, I spooned some of the juice onto the steak that had settled in the foil wrap while resting. Brought to room temp with only kosher salt, then added pepper at the table.

I've cooked a lot of prime steaks - sous vide then sear in cast iron, front sear on a webber NG then indirect for a bit (tough with a steak 2.5" thick like this one).....this was the best damn steak I've ever cooked.

Then just begrudgingly split with my wife. Good news is that she never finishes hers :)

PrimeCap1.jpg

PrimeCap2.jpg

Edited by Adam Ag 98
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Troble said:

What is it? Looks kind of like a Santa Maria grill that I see here in CA but without the pulley.

It called a Hooray Grill out of Kansas. They have a very large hunting operation/expedition for duck and pheasant trips located on their ranch with a farm to table restaurant at it's center. It's a unique grill keeping with the tradition of Santa Maria grills but modified and engineered a bit as to say...to give you a better ride. The rotisserie is the boss, it can handle an 80lb pig and large cuts of beef and doesn't blink. Tri-tip and steak are so easy. You know I've cooked on different kamados for quite a while and although they're hard to beat I felt it was time to shake the tree and try another way. Don't paint yourself into a corner, try different things if you can. You live once and there are so many grills out there to conquer and such little time to do it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

For breakfast I made Tamagoyaki for the first time.

NAILED IT!!

Never tried making the rolled omelets before. I know having the special pan helps, but that's the last thing I need - another piece of cookware, especially a specialty one - LOL!

6 hours ago, Adam Ag 98 said:

Nailed this prime ribeye cap steak last night.

Love ribeye cap - an underrated cut. I can usually find Prime grade ones at CostCo, but they were out today. Had to settle for Prime NY strips @ $12.99/lb. SCORE!

Nice job on that one, btw!

4 hours ago, tony b said:

NAILED IT!!

Never tried making the rolled omelets before. I know having the special pan helps, but that's the last thing I need - another piece of cookware, especially a specialty one - LOL!

This is a cast iron pan and very good on the kitchen stove for a burger, mushrooms, etc. The wooden handle comes off so it can be used in the KK or oven. I am finding more uses for it than I thought so I'm glad it is not turning out to be more flexible than I thought it was going to be. :)

• Like 1

It is so cold here that I put my squash soup which is now in jars in the ODK to freeze. They claim it will be -15C tonight. It took some determination to light the grill for supper but it tastes so much better then done in the kitchen. Chicken thighs, and roasted carrots on the grill with B&B smoked paprika, Zanizbar black pepper, and purple stirpe garlic.

1307815489_DinnerontheGrill.thumb.jpg.ee2fe074a47ba7c56d1aa210234765a6.jpg

Plated.

2139948299_ChickenThighDinner.thumb.jpg.738d6aa71378cd144a3ea1a2a5ad888a.jpg

Thigh.thumb.jpg.b0fa2864bd77082036e6714da0efb834.jpg

• Like 6

@Adam Ag 98 nice looking steak!

@MacKenzie last night I turned the heater on. It was 54 degrees....my brain can’t even imagine cooking at -15. You are much braver than I am 

@Tyrus thanks for sharing looks like an awesome grill I totally agree with you. I like to spice things up and try new ways of cooking. I was always hoping to add another grill to my Arsenal but I’m years out on that considering all the work I just did but I’ve always wanted a Santa Maria style grill. This contraption  you e got may have to be considered as well. Have you ever roasted a whole hog on it?