DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Salmon Sunday,  Truffle salt, Dill, Parsley and a shake of Salmon seasoning. If you don't have any Truffle salt in your arsenal....you should. Cajun fries and ketchup, cauliflower rice, & zucchini.  Oh this is one of the better Rieslings, accompanied with a meal or alone. 
DSCF3236.thumb.JPG.f11b3ce26425f39241248fa0d5dbe700.JPG
DSCF3237.thumb.JPG.fbdb5a3aa18035f425ee988f08ab1f70.JPG

Nice company to the salmon Tyrus. I have been rediscovering Rieslings over the last few years and really love the dry Riesling. If you can source a Riesling from The Clare Valley, grab it. They are all good.
Unlike the goon we used to buy when we just hit legal drinking age.... horrible sweet boxed wine in a silver pillow.
Have you ever played Goon of fortune? Too late to start if you haven’t. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goon_of_Fortune
Young folk across Australia are still waking up in the middle of a paddock, in summer with a silver plastic pillow- once filled with Riesling and now blown up- stuck to their face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Toney, records I don't keep, however a couple years back I was in Vail and managed to experience an extremely long market that exhibited a wealth of flavor, craft, BBQ and ambience . Time has passed and although I can't refer you to a name because it's all gone I found this at a local Super market holding, something quite similar. Quality is subjective over time, this replacement fit the bill when I ran out from the first so as you asked this is what remains of the second. Seems a pilgrimage to another store is upon me. I'm sure with a little effort you could find a variety of these salts to enlighten your day, or not. Choices, what's a person to do. Hey, if you find or stumble upon somethin good..........let me know, my bottle is empty and awaits the next arrival.

DSCF3243.JPG

One of my "go to" spice stores, The Spice House, up in Milwaukee, has the white truffle salt. @Tyrus - hope you're right about it being dynamite on a lot of stuff, seeing as a 3 oz jar was $27! 

Another choice is truffle butter and oil from D'Artagnan - both black and white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

hope you're right about it being dynamite

Seeing that you live in Iowa you can do like the French do. Get a live pig because in Iowa you have plenty, train him to sniff out truffles in the ground. They say those critters are good company and when he's past his prime...pork chops. You know those high end stores are going ask for more than they deserve. As I recall....I did pay about that much at the Vail market, hell, you might think we lived in Hawaii or some secluded island paying that much. It will be interesting to see how you use it. 

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's some Gochujang Chicken for you. the sauce is the boss and sticks to the chicken well.  I added more for dipping, yum. It was a first for me with bok choy and it won't be the last.  Since the KK does chicken so well it only enhances the recipe.
DSCF3244.thumb.JPG.2ad17b219299a7d3becd911a850bcced.JPG

Beautiful Tyrus!

The sauce is so good isn’t it! Very unique but so tasty!

If you liked the bok choy, try this recipe, it takes them to another level.

https://rasamalaysia.com/restaurant-style-chinese-greens-with/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's some Gochujang Chicken for you. the sauce is the boss and sticks to the chicken well.  I added more for dipping, yum. It was a first for me with bok choy and it won't be the last.  Since the KK does chicken so well it only enhances the recipe.
DSCF3244.thumb.JPG.2ad17b219299a7d3becd911a850bcced.JPG

Beautiful Tyrus!

The sauce is so good isn’t it! Very unique but so tasty!

If you liked the bok choy, try this recipe, it takes them to another level.

https://rasamalaysia.com/restaurant-style-chinese-greens-with/

• Like 2

Did a roast chicken this evening. I was going to light the KK but I was on a video conference call and frankly, the rain was horizontal and it's just a couple of degrees over freezing. 

Made up a recipe which was loosely based on one for Thessalian Quail. If you're able to find Thessalian lemons, they're incredibly scented and fragrant but I had to make do with regular supermarket versions.

The recipe is simple and involves stuffing the bird with a mixture of onion, breadcrumbs and pine nuts. I cooked it using a Lemon infused olive oil to exaggerate the citric flavours but the dish also features bay leaves, julienne orange peel, juniper berries, clove, thyme, lemon juice, flat parsley, black Greek Olives (I used kalamata), red wine, fresh breadcrumbs and toasted pine nuts. The dark base surrounding the chicken is due to the breadcrumbs absorbing the wine and caramelising. The scrapings are utterly heavenly and the flavour combination is very hard to describe and complex. It's a bit like trying to describe certain Japanese dishes - they're alien to the western palette and the there are no direct comparables. 

I was going to do it with some Caponata but after 11h of video conferencing and talking on the phone, I just wanted to eat so made some cous cous and added some sultanas. The sweetness of the sultanas worked well but next time, I think I'll make sure I include aubergines. 

IMG_5845_jpg.thumb.jpg.2c59fb1b4123fafb1b0cfcdf1a174499.jpg

• Like 10

I thinly sliced some red pepper and cooked it in olive oil. Added the Bok choy, Oyster sauce, Garlic sauce and heated the blanched Bok choy. The only thing I would do differently is adding some garlic to pan with the red pepper next time. I thought the garlic sauce would be enough, but it could have used more. Thanks

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

Lamb noisette salt and peppered and lamb shoulder cap marinated in truffle balsamic vinegar, mint, cumin and chillie.
With spuds.
0f7e8e97f0b2f87f4f55de7f2aef6ebf.jpg
The shoulder went in at room temp, noisette was 2c( cold).
I’ll reverse sear both but leave the shoulder cap on longer.

• Like 3

The lamb noisette was sensational. The fat on the outside rendered beautifully.
I rolled it around the lower rack for 7 minutes with the dome reading 150c. (300f)
89596608a7db26de8cc048930851372d.jpg
I’d call that medium.
Inside was very tender.
Here it’s plated.
be0fc784b2f6a0d9ee69dee90e581f63.jpg
The mint chips are very subtle. Worth trying.
I’ll leave the shoulder wrapped with a little stock for another hour.

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Basher said:

The lamb noisette was sensational. The fat on the outside rendered beautifully.
I rolled it around the lower rack for 7 minutes with the dome reading 150c. (300f)
89596608a7db26de8cc048930851372d.jpg
I’d call that medium.
Inside was very tender.
Here it’s plated.
be0fc784b2f6a0d9ee69dee90e581f63.jpg
The mint chips are very subtle. Worth trying.
I’ll leave the shoulder wrapped with a little stock for another hour.

Mint chips? Tell me more.... 

• Like 1

Here is the shoulder cap.
35e8b7ced09bb0075016399b717973e5.jpg
Tasty. If I had to choose, I’d run with the noisette.
2e4820c011951fa6dc2e03818d5f310a.jpg
Braai I have been playing around with this perforated cast iron dish. Fresh mint leaves, or spinach with whole cloves of garlic roasted in this dish alongside the meat and they make tasty chips with a concentrated green flavour- the garlic infuses into the greens. Layers of spinach with whole cloves is best. The mint is ok.
c343f8d4ac6ce569938f4f89e7bbb36d.jpg
To this above, from this below.
aaeff5d7c622f0d0006ad1979c63e2cf.jpg
Pretty simple and kinda like a green Biltong.

• Like 4

@Basher thanks for the detail. Really fabulous looking cook. I’m finding myself gravitating towards more lamb and really enjoy reading your posts about different ways to prep. I am curious what a noisette is in American English. Got a translation?

also not be overlooked but those potatoes look great. You just throw them direct on grill? Any other tips?

• Like 1

Troble the spuds just had a little olive oil over them after rinsing. Salted after cook as I find salt before can draw moisture out and changes the texture once cooked. Placed around the edges so they were not directly over the fire.
Lamb noisette is rack of chops sliced off the bone and wrapped up. Maybe you call it a boned out loin roast.

It’s a quality cut- uniform in shape with the fat layer on the outside so perfect to reverse sear and my wife doesn’t really like bone.

• Like 3