DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

16 minutes ago, tony b said:

No White Christmas in the forecast here. Most of our last snow has melted. 

Gorgeous steak cook. Glad that the cast iron pan trick worked for you! The rest of the meal looks great, too, especially that Phelps cab!! :wynar:

Thanks @tony b for the tips and compliment. I ended up doing a forward sear, worked well but I left the cast iron pan on the lower grate too long after I took the steaks off (was doing other things) and had a massive grease fire that almost got real bad. Spilled grease all over my new concrete then frantically  spraying the grease with a hose in the dark and scrubbing with a wire brush so it didn’t set in, while steaks are cooking. Cleaned it again this morning and looks like things will work out, but I digress. 

the Joseph Phelps is my wife’s favorite and since yesterday was the last day of school for her after a long semester I surprised he’d with the meal and wine....she was happy 😀

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Côte de boeuf with chips for dinner tonight. This is 32 day aged Red Poll cattle. Food miles? > 2.  

Not cooked côte de boeuf before but going to use the Fireboard and reverse sear. 

Will try to remember to take pictures of the after. Thinking of an Austrian red to go with this. Likely a Judith Beck Ink. 

IMG_6123_jpg.thumb.JPG.2bad88e870785be24f65d00954520ca1.JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Troble said:

Spilled grease all over my new concrete then frantically  spraying the grease with a hose in the dark and scrubbing with a wire brush so it didn’t set in, while steaks are cooking. Cleaned it again this morning and looks like things will work out, but I digress. 

PBW works great on grease. There's always Dawn - if it works on oil slicked birds! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG, I'm in a total meat coma! Dinner was a 1.5 lb Prime NY strip. Direct, lower grate (given how thick this steak was, I didn't want to try cooking it on the sear grate!), mesquite and post oak chunks. Rubbed with Gunpowder and Raising the Steaks. This thing was so massive that it took 25 minutes to get to Rare (125F), flipped it every 5 minutes. So, I was totally glad that I went lower grate, as trying to cook this on the sear grate would have been charred on the outside and Black-n-Blue on the inside. 

1264062727_FreeAtLastSteakDinner001.thumb.jpg.5b8bae38fbcb0a969c23643aacd74277.jpg

Plated with roasted spuds w/Peruvian green sauce (and a dash of truffle salt), sauteed mushrooms and chimichurri for the steak. A very lovely Conundrum red wine. Side salad as the palette cleanser - bleu cheese notwithstanding! 

915543693_FreeAtLastSteakDinner002.thumb.jpg.4c7039f8c68b91c0ee6ccadb154036b9.jpg

1806265055_FreeAtLastSteakDinner003.thumb.jpg.f839575239d61cf14555333c931acfb0.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Garlic, Parmesan, chive & truffle oil fries, homemade ketchup, crispy kale chips and prime beef cheeseburger with tillamook sliced cheddar marinated in soy, Worcester, garlic, cumin and Peruvian salt, served with grilled butter lettuce & homemade ketchup 

98A762A9-4440-43BE-B0ED-13A96596693D.jpeg

3FE8E474-92BB-4E50-939D-E34AD87ECB2C.jpeg

B8CA2447-2422-4C87-85EC-7D2E10975320.jpeg

8C7D5145-EFC8-4578-B257-A937A05BC31F.jpeg

2C6D1A8B-4A3D-4B26-B039-E5F70FAC95B8.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 9

Did the steak today. Not last night in the end. I had to drive and while my wife volunteered to drink the Judith Beck and tell me how it was, this was never going to happen. 

First time I've done a cote de boeuf. It's always felt like too much meat but when you leave me unattended in a butchery, these things will happen. 

Cooked at 125°for about 45 mins to a target internal temp of 52°C using the Fireboard then took it out, pushed the KK to 250°C and seared both sides to eye, around 6 mins each. 

Did some hasselback potatoes (Mrs BQ) after I saw a recipe for Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin and we realised we were missing some of the ingredients so Mrs BQ created an approximation. 

All plans for doing chores currently on hold as I nurse this food coma.

IMG_6149_jpg.thumb.jpg.bddb8637e755adab58771b5d7392d145.jpg

IMG_6158_jpg.thumb.jpg.3a03de04a7414f6d7a0523b2aa313659.jpg

IMG_6150.thumb.jpg.348d5a63ea87b845c697d29d70c37c26.jpg

IMG_6151_jpg.thumb.jpg.274b17bd7b5322991ee52edafc6ebd0c.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

First time I've done a cote de boeuf. It's always felt like too much meat

Is there such a thing as too much meat??  Great looking cook @B.  I reckon when you next think of doing a care package delivery you should head down our way.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Is there such a thing as too much meat??  Great looking cook @B.  I reckon when you next think of doing a care package delivery you should head down our way.  

I think there is. That or I'm pregnant. I'm up for a road trip but not advised at the moment. I don't think we can even enter Tier 4. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tonight was a pre-marinated pork loin (roasted garlic & black peppercorns) that I amp'ed up with more roasted garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper. On the main grate, direct, with hickory & apple wood chunks, started the loin at 250F and let it creep up to 350F (target) over 30 minutes. Pulled at an IT of 135F. Rested for 10 minutes.

629096142_SmithfieldPorkLoin002.thumb.jpg.f23e6187e16f1dc7737b96a86a32f69e.jpg

Plated with melting potatoes with a hit of truffle salt (heaven!) and a side salad. Lovely Pinot Noir to go with!

1665601473_SmithfieldPorkLoin004.thumb.jpg.f669e02aec8cf2272211dd704afa7bee.jpg

Smithfield Pork Loin 005.jpg

• Like 9

Peruvian pollo a la brasa roasted on the spit at 350 degrees. marinated in garlic, cumin, aji amarillo paste, aji amarilo chunks & aji panca powder with Peruvian salt, and a dash of soy and pisco 

roasted purple Peruvian potatoes with cilantro, garlic, Peruvian salt, black pepper, thyme and a dash of aji pamca. Finished with a bit of pane Sean cheese once pulled and rested 

served with spicy Peruvian green sauce over chicken & potatoes 

servrd with crispy kale chips tossed with olive oil & sea salt 

08F9BD5E-7AAD-4EED-B5A4-75C63899D841.jpeg

4F40FB31-FF8E-4808-99FA-FC8093190B9C.jpeg

EB97AB58-C329-470F-9F8C-7A2E9BD3F881.jpeg

C8A79A64-B640-4286-AE08-AC10791B1962.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 10

@Steve H truth be told the fries looked better than they tasted i tried to bake them in the oven per the recipe and they were a bit soggy. not sure if it was because I was too excited to finally use my new fresh fry press and i cut them early and let them sit for two hours outside in the air or if it's just because it's cooking them in the oven. when i took them out there were stil a big soggy so i threw them back in under the broiler and rotated the baking sheet a few times to get them crispy.  ended up saving them, but next time I will use the air fryer, problem with the air dryer is the basket it too small to do a single air fry and get enough fries for the amily. so my theory is i will do 2-3 air fry batches get the fries crispy, put them on a baking sheet then hit them with herbs and truffl oil and cheese and warm/finish the batch in the oven to get them all warm.

not sure, maybe the venerable @tony b has already worked this out. he's the Air Fryer master, my attempt at the fries left a lot to be improved on. I will say though that I've had that french fry press in a box since August and that was fun to use and super easy so that was a W. And the kids absolutely loved the Kale chips so that was another W.

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Troble said:

@Steve H truth be told the fries looked better than they tasted i tried to bake them in the oven per the recipe and they were a bit soggy. not sure if it was because I was too excited to finally use my new fresh fry press and i cut them early and let them sit for two hours outside in the air or if it's just because it's cooking them in the oven. when i took them out there were stil a big soggy so i threw them back in under the broiler and rotated the baking sheet a few times to get them crispy.  ended up saving them, but next time I will use the air fryer, problem with the air dryer is the basket it too small to do a single air fry and get enough fries for the amily. so my theory is i will do 2-3 air fry batches get the fries crispy, put them on a baking sheet then hit them with herbs and truffl oil and cheese and warm/finish the batch in the oven to get them all warm.

not sure, maybe the venerable @tony b has already worked this out. he's the Air Fryer master, but attempt at the fries left a lot to be improved on. I will say though that I've had that french fry press in a box since August and that was fun to use and super easy so that was a W. And the kids absolutely loved the Kale chips so that was another W.

Yes, I like the looks of that FF press. They looked delicious and I wondered if it was a double fried batch.