DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

15 minutes ago, Troble said:

@Steve MI’ve never actually deep fried anything in my life. Do you cook your fries that way? I’m searching for the proper way to execute this. 

I haven't in a long time but I was reading up on it a while back and it probably yields the best results. I have an air fryer that I would like to try those types of fries on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troble said:

@Steve MI’ve never actually deep fried anything in my life. Do you cook your fries that way? I’m searching for the proper way to execute this. 

If you're frying anything like 'chips', always best with a dedicated fryer in my experience. I have a Magimix and the design is great, it's just the hassle of disposing of the oil that's tiresome. But for some food, you can't beat oil. Do you know about the breadcrumb trick? Basically, throw some breadcrumbs in when you think the temperature is about right - if they burn up and go black, too hot. If they absorb the oil and sink, the oil isn't hot enough. If they bubble and float to the surface, you're good to go.

Like the KK, always easier to build up to temperature gradually versus having to bleed heat. With oil, there isn't a way to lose heat if it gets too hot other than changing it or adding more cold oil. 

For triple cook chips, give this a go but having a frier like that one I linked makes all the difference.

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 3

@Braai-Q thanks for the advice. Not sure I’m ready to commit to a deep fryer at this moment. The wife has been on me about all my cooking gadgets and I’ve pretty much run out of space at the moment, that French fry press sat in my garage in a box for 4 months partly due to the space/storage issue and I somehow managed to find a suitable storage spot that didn’t upset the Mrs. 

Im going to attempt the air fryer in batches next time see how that goes and then if that doesn’t work I’ll get a deep fryer and start frying me some chicken!

Edited by Troble

4 hours ago, Troble said:

not sure, maybe the venerable @tony b has already worked this out. he's the Air Fryer master, but attempt at the fries left a lot to be improved on.

Making me blush! 😊

My best homemade fries have always been in the deep fryer (double fried). I've had moderate success with doing them in the air fryer (I actually do better with pre-cut frozen ones). Keys are to soak the hand cut fries in water after you cut them to remove excess starch from the surface, and rinse. Then par-blanch them in boiling water briefly (they should bend but not break), place on a rack and let them cool and dry. Then lightly spray them with oil and into the air fryer on 375F until golden brown, shaking the basket periodically helps with evenness. YMMV

• Like 2

Exactly what Tony said Troble.
That potato press reminded me of my Carnie days in Canada.
One of the concession we worked in was the French fry trailer.
There were two of those presses mounted on the wall, punched the potato’s where they drop into a large bucket of water to wash the starch off.
Always blanch for 7 minutes at a lower temperature( can’t remember what it was) then finish for 1 minute at a higher temp.
We’d go through 40- 50 sacks of potato’s in a day at the Calgary Stampede.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troble said:

@Braai-Q thanks for the advice. Not sure I’m ready to commit to a deep fryer at this moment. The wife has been on me about all my cooking gadgets and I’ve pretty much run out of space at the moment, that French fry press sat in my garage in a box for 4 months partly due to the space/storage issue and I somehow managed to find a suitable storage spot that didn’t upset the Mrs. 

Im going to attempt the air fryer in batches next time see how that goes and then if that doesn’t work I’ll get a deep fryer and start frying me some chicken!

Oh, that's my perpetual struggle with kitchen tools. There is no such as a gadget. They're tools. Don't let your wife think they're gadgets because that's close to gimmick and it means it can be jettisoned far too easily. 

I don't use mine often but when I do, I'm reminded of why I bought it. We get very very good oven chips in the UK which are a little bit healthier and they win on convenience. Never tried an air frier so can't comment although I know there are many devotees.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Basher said:

Always blanch for 7 minutes at a lower temperature( can’t remember what it was) then finish for 1 minute at a higher temp.

If you're deep frying in oil, the blanch step is at 325F and the 2nd frying step is at 375F.

If you're blanching in water, then just get it to boiling/simmer, you don't want a rolling boil or you can break up the fries as they go dashing about. 

• Like 2

I appreciate all the feedback. My conclusion it it seems like a lot of work for fries. I originally tried this when I started cooking Lomo Saltado years ago but quickly pivoted to frozen fries from Whole Foods and now circling back in just not sure the upside. If I’m attempting gourmet hamburgers like yesterday attempt I’ll try but otherwise for everyday fry needs I’ll likely stick with frozen

@Braai-Q I called them gadgets she just says “your cooking stuff”, I always make a point of pointing out the gadget that produces the component when we eat and she’s always appreciative, but I am truly running out of space 

Edited by Troble

Day 4 of the butcher box challenge....A5 Waygu flat iron steak. Marinated in olive oil, salt & pepper 

served with roasted baby potatoes with olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary, black pepper and black truffle salt. Finished with Parmesan cheese 

accompanied by olive oil, garlic, pepper, prosciutto wrapped asparagus 

Side salad of grilled romaine Caesar salad

grilled over mesquite wood served with a bottle of Justin cab

6ED3EF47-A4BC-4E03-A79C-AE972310B403.jpeg

0BEAFA8E-F266-47D5-98F6-DB4CF8521BAC.jpeg

D3A6A833-5364-4A93-B556-B911B18977B8.jpeg

68D19D10-85D1-42BF-9A0B-5B3A09AA8937.jpeg

96B46A43-18B8-44D8-9403-CBC833B710CD.jpeg

6ADED87A-54C0-47D0-9FF8-804A11F210C7.jpeg

8C488CFA-29AF-46CD-9E14-86A68A65A3AF.jpeg

4A579C4D-FDD1-47A4-8C11-04B5A3A257CA.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6

@Troble That looks absolutely delicious, the grilled asparagus and bacon looks a great combination.

The fryer thread was very interesting. Ours was consigned to the kitchen loft 15 years or so ago, sacrificed on the altar of Mrs RD's "healthy eating" mission, and maybe a slightly lingering cooking smell.

This Spring I think it needs to come down.

The one thing that I remember it for it not so much fries but that it enabled you to cook using Tempura batter.

Courgette, Onion "bhajee" , squid, prawn and lumps of fish cooked with a light crispy coating of Tempura were wonderful.

@Braai-Q, thanks for tool vs gadget tip. I'm not sure it will help me - I asked Mrs RD what things we cooked in Tempura in the deep fat fryer, and was promptly informed that I didn't need a deep fat fryer for that as they can be shallow fried in a pan.

I might suggest that she put her hair straighteners in the loft as it is perfectly possible to use the iron and ironing board instead.

RD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@RokDok - let us know how that conversation goes. Or maybe more accurately when you’re going to have that conversation so that if we don’t we don’t see you for awhile we’ll know why 😀

also - the asparagus was wrapped in prosciutto, bacon could be too much but thinly sliced prosciutto was perfect especially when it crisps up. Super easy, looks fancy, it’s a keeper 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RokDok said:

@Braai-Q, thanks for tool vs gadget tip. I'm not sure it will help me - I asked Mrs RD what things we cooked in Tempura in the deep fat fryer, and was promptly informed that I didn't need a deep fat fryer for that as they can be shallow fried in a pan.

I was half joking. I bought a 'gadget' not that long ago. It was a Thyme stripper. Basically, it looks like a ladle with a number of holes of varying size in the handle and you pull the thyme through, it strips all the leaves so you're not fishing woody stalks out of your food. It's 85% effective but so much better than picking the leaves off with your fingers. Mrs BQ made derisive comments about it when she discovered it. I played the 'oh, that, been in the drawer for ages' strategy. Anyway, about a week ago, she comes asking for it and where did I put it. It was in the dishwasher which was running but I said I'd thrown it out at her request. WHY? It's really good at getting the leaves off woody he....then she realised that she had just opened the door. Apparently I had a smug look on my face for the rest of the day. I didn't help matters by singing a rendition of MC Hammer's 'Hammertime' although my version was 'Hammer thyme'... I did stop when she tested the heft of a meat mallet in her throwing hand. 

I find the deep fryer is easier to clean and if you're doing anything in any quantity, having the basket to drain makes it pretty effective for draining off excess oil otherwise there is a lot of kitchen towel involved. 

4 hours ago, RokDok said:

I might suggest that she put her hair straighteners in the loft as it is perfectly possible to use the iron and ironing board instead.

I see that you have a recessive self preservation gene. To help you with that problem, the outcome is likely to go something like this:

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47xz1rfuf31zjy83368hh

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Troble said:

@Braai-Q I called them gadgets she just says “your cooking stuff”, I always make a point of pointing out the gadget that produces the component when we eat and she’s always appreciative, but I am truly running out of space 

I was just teasing. I've also hated the term gadget for as long as I can remember because it suggests an inherent lack of worth and feels dismissive. Having the right tool for the job makes the job easier and usually produces a better result. Which is the underlying strategy that underpins my plans to introduce a PacoJet into our house. @tekobo has a far more understanding other half. 

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I had one of these for years. https://www.kingkooker.com/Outdoor-Chef-s-Hot-Tub-Multipurpose-Cooker-p/pack_2862.htm

Not as glamorous as an indoor deep fryer but, can do much more and it can be stored in a shed/garage/carport...

Love the 'Outdoor Chef Hot Tub' name. 

Edited by Braai-Q