DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

My first time sport fishing and we caught this while we were fishing for tuna! Weighed in at 760lbs. We were in Mexico. Gave most of it away to the poor people who needed food so nothing went to waste. Catching this fish is a really weird and funny story but a little to long to put in this post. I hope everybody has a wonderful New Year and stay safe. Looking forward to posting more next year.

621EB5CE-4050-47B2-B220-8BFD730ABB59.jpeg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

My first time sport fishing and we caught this while we were fishing for tuna! Weighed in at 760lbs. We were in Mexico. Gave most of it away to the poor people who needed food so nothing went to waste. Catching this fish is a really weird and funny story but a little to long to put in this post. I hope everybody has a wonderful New Year and stay safe. Looking forward to posting more next year.

Bruce, that's an impressive fish. I think the only time I ever ate marlin was in the Caribbean. It was an option on wood fired oven pizza and it was delicious.

did you reel it in? My dad caught one roughly the same size on the outer banks and he said it was the worst fishing experience of his life lol. He was begging people to take the rod. 

• Like 1

We were fishing out of a ponga and traded off reeling it in, but all of a sudden it stopped fighting after about an hour and a half? So Jaime started to haul it in by hand eventually it floating up to the surface and we discovered it had gotten tail wrapped by the fishing line and had drowned. That’s the weird part of the story! Jaime couldn’t get it into the ponga because it kept sliding under the boat, finally he gaff it and pushed away from the boat handed me the gaff and signaled me to pull it in and he would grab the bill and we could all haul it into the boat. I started hauling it in and I guess I pulled to hard because it hit the side of the boat and the bill poked a hole in the side of the boat. Jaime wasn’t very happy about that as it was his ponga and that’s how he made his living, he sure gave me a dirty look! That’s the funny part of this story except it wasn’t very funny at the time! One thing about this fishing story is that boat we were fishing out of isn’t one of those big sport fishing boats you see on tv. These pongas  are about 19 to 20 feet long and about about 5 feet wide with a big outboard motor. They launch them right off the beach and when they come in they wait for a wave to break and then gun the boat to ride the wave in right up to the beach soon as it gets up on the beach one of his buddies hooks a line on the bow of the boat and hauls it out with a pickup truck. It was a really cool experience one I will never forget. That’s my fishing story in a nutshell. 

• Like 7

Oh yeah this is a PS to my story I never got to eat any of that marlin. I had brought a cooler with me and we loaded it up and had the whole thing frozen. But after flying home somehow my cooler had defrosted. My friends cooler was still frozen solid. I don’t know what happened but no fish for me😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

@Bruce Pearson great story. Impressive feat on a boat that size. Too bad you didn’t get to taste the fish. 

@AAAsh great looking cook 

@MacKenzieid just say you’re doing your part to help the world not overfish the population. Thanks for making sacrifices so we can all enjoy the fruits of the sea 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Mac that’s my story and I’m sticking to it LOL

That's an impressive story Bruce.  I showed The Husband your photo of the marlin and he said wow.  I then explained the size of the boat you were in and he said some words that I can't repeat here.  Suffice to say that he was impressed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Totally down with the snags and Pliny.

My NYE dinner was a Prime grade NY Strip, rubbed with Gunpowder and Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks. Direct, lower grate, 325F with mesquite and post oak.

1109766942_GoodRiddence2020SteakDinner001.thumb.jpg.6d6728798330285f5af8ce04b066a024.jpg

Came out a perfect medium. Plated with melting potatoes, shrooms, a bit of chimichurri, with a Greek salad and baguette. An absolutely stunning Inglenook Cab (2014).

2104464033_GoodRiddence2020SteakDinner002.thumb.jpg.f20bd39756969ee7e9fb8a441e5812d5.jpg

1370580657_GoodRiddence2020SteakDinner003.thumb.jpg.d6c3785999c82ba07a20ed3fba29db7a.jpg

Happy New Year, Everyone! Let's just keep on cooking great food in 2021!

• Like 4

My dad, mother and brother all got COVID last week. Mom ended up having to go to the ER on 12/23 cause she had asthma and they were concerned about her breathing. After keeping her for 12 hours with no updates they diagnosed with her COVID pneumonia/fluid in her lungs. They gave her this Regeneron drug cocktail that Trump got and they sent her home. Whatever was in that cocktail worked because now a week later she’s almost completely healed. Scary stuff. I say this because today 12/31 is my Dads birthday and after they had to spend Christmas on quarantine they also have to do NYE and his birthday in quarantine, which sucks and they live two blocks away from us. 

My dad loves Prime Rib and had been telling me for 2-3 years he’d like me to do a standing rib roast for him, but I never had cause my wife likes her meat well done and we’ve never had the right occasion. I was thinking of doing it this year and having extended family over for Christmas so I could do multiple mains, but COVID stopped that 

so tonight after going through all this BS the last week I thought I’d cook my Dad a standing rib roast that he could share with my mom and brother. I did a baked potato rubbed in butter and garlic as well as ceasar salad kit, Fred horseradish sauce and Trader Joe’s lava cakes with vanilla ice cream. 

prime rib  was rubbed with Worcester sauce, dusted with salt & pepper and roasted on the rotisserie at 350 with coffee char and mesquite wood 

25E6D664-CBE4-4C01-9DCE-7640C9DC02C8.jpeg

47300F74-FA8E-4A0C-B978-3B48A896C2A9.jpeg

752B1AB0-D32D-41D8-854B-5CA0025D2F53.jpeg

B242B2B2-11B1-4D8F-90C8-F25083193203.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 10